Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-18-2023, 12:32 AM   #1
willgresham34

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro 1SS
Exclamation Faint Humming noise over 35 mph

So, I get this light high pitched humming noise when going over 35 mph and continues until I am almost stopped. I swear that I did not start hearing this noise until after I got my new bumper installed ( I had the Zl1 1le front bumper installed). My gf thinks she heard it before the install but I never remember hearing it before. I have suspcions it could be from the bumper because of the new air flow where the small drl used to be. I also think it could be the sound tube as it’s not deleted either. The sound is faint and is there most the time but can fade in it out sometimes. It does not get worse when turning I think it actually goes away when turning sometimes. Like i said the sound doesn’t happen at low speeds unless it when the car is coming to a stop. I have read about sounds coming from uneven tire wear or even off of the mirrors or something which I also might mention the noise I can’t hear it coming from the car when I have the windows rolled down. Might just cus the wind is loud and covers it up but was wondering if anyone had any ideas?
willgresham34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 12:54 AM   #2
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
I'd be worried about wheel bearings if its a 'humming' noise that progresses with speed. That's usually an indicator that one of them is preparing to go. I'd guess that your g/f was probably right and it was just very faint and has gradually gotten worse. Your air tube won't make a humming noise, nor will your body modifications.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 01:06 AM   #3
willgresham34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I'd be worried about wheel bearings if its a 'humming' noise that progresses with speed. That's usually an indicator that one of them is preparing to go. I'd guess that your g/f was probably right and it was just very faint and has gradually gotten worse. Your air tube won't make a humming noise, nor will your body modifications.
I was worried it might be, but i had also read that wheel bearings if bad would make more noise when turning so that is why I am leaning further from that. Is there a way to check really?
Old 12-18-2023, 03:35 AM   #4
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by willgresham34 View Post
I was worried it might be, but i had also read that wheel bearings if bad would make more noise when turning so that is why I am leaning further from that. Is there a way to check really?
not sure, I am suspecting that I have a bad wheel bearing on my 17 SS because I am also getting humming, albeit it got much worse after my brake caliper dislodged. I had a wheel bearing fail on a blazer and it first started off as a humming sound, but it was consistent regardless of which direction the wheel was turned. It eventually turned into a metallic grinding sound. I didn't know about wheel bearings before that incident but it was eventually going to take my wheel off. Wheel bearings for these cars aren't very expensive atleast. I imagine not very difficult to replace the front ones either.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 12:15 PM   #5
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by willgresham34 View Post
Is there a way to check really?
Jack each wheel and try to wiggle the tire. grab the tire at 9 and 3:00, and then 6 and 12:00. The outer edge of the rubber should move no more than 1/8". You can also spin the front wheels and compare. bearings usually go one-at-a-time, so differences in the bad wheel are easier to detect.
I have not had a bearing fail on a car in a very long time.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 12:05 PM   #6
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
I have replaced all 4 of mine over the last couple of years, first starting at 50K miles. I have 126K now. They typically start making noise around 45-50mph and peak around 65. Never had any play in any of them but once everything is removed (axles, rotors, calipers) you could spin by hand and feel it.
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 02:18 PM   #7
willgresham34

Quote:
Originally Posted by easttxss View Post
I have replaced all 4 of mine over the last couple of years, first starting at 50K miles. I have 126K now. They typically start making noise around 45-50mph and peak around 65. Never had any play in any of them but once everything is removed (axles, rotors, calipers) you could spin by hand and feel it.
I’m at 75k miles. Would you hear like a very faint high pitched humming?

Tags
help me, noise