The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 01-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #29
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Yeah, That is what I thought that I had to have a PC to run the work programs. I just did not know if that had changed at some point or not. So for me It has to be a PC. I'll check out all the recommendations. Keep the comments & suggestions coming. I know that at some point I will need a new computer. Now I can just take my time & learn before running out & just getting one.

I just love C5! It never ceases to amaze me that any news item I see here before I hear it elsewhere, anything I need to know I can ask here & find out what I need. I hardly need any other websites, Just my C5 most of the time.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #30
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
Ruby you might also want to try a freeware program called "ccleaner" I also use the malwarebytes like somebody else suggested and it works great.
I do most of my surfing, email correspondence, end even a little photo work using "fastone" and even more on a three year old Samsung netbook with a little Atom processor 1.60 GHZ, with 2 gig of ram(I recently upgraded from 1 gig) and a 100 gig HD.
This netbook (which I am typing on right now) was my daughters, she managed to totally lock this thing up and I could not get it to do anything. After about messing with it for about two days(had nothing to lose because we got her a new larger laptop and this thing was just sitting in a box for about three months and I decided to jst get it out and play with it) I managed to get it working at peek performance. Now it is superfast for a netbook, I now have it in the living room jacked into an old 17 inch monitor and wireless mouse and keyboard. My wife is surprised at how fast I got it working now. All I did was shut off all the crap running in the background, installed above mentioned programs and run them occasionally to keep it running tip top, I have had absolutely no issues with it yet within the last six months I have been using it for my main surfing machine. My main laptop which is over three years old is now in my back room on my desk, it is totally geared for my photo/graphic design work. I now make it a habit to not over task my machines, they operate a lot faster that way. my netbook is nothing fancy but it is runnign Windows 7 starter edition with all the extras shut off in the background. There is nothing running on my machines that I have ever had to pay for, I use Microsoft Security essentials for my anti virus program on every machine I have ever had over the last sis years, I have yet to catch a virus on my machines, now with "malwarebytes" and " ccleaner on them, they all run like clean machines, and all this I learned on my own.
Maybe the best thing you can do for your existing machine is to backup allyour files and just reformat the whole thing, and start from scratch.
Good luck either way.
two months ago I managed to pick up tow AZUS 17'' laptops, 4 gigs of ram, 500gig HDs, Windows Ultimate for $350 each for my two eldest daughters for their college work, I got them at Sams club, in fact all my computers I buy are at Sams, for a few extra dollars I get the extended warranties and I have used them twice now(one had a bad HD, and the other kept shutting down without no warning) I even have a year left on my three year old laptop! For example- the original warranty is for a year from the manufacturer, I bought a three year extended warranty, so that equaled to 4 years total coverage, with a laptop it is totally worth the extended warranty, I suggest you get one when you buy one.
Hope this helped
Old 01-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #31
RubyCamaro
Jan

Thanks! Good info.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #32
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
I would say go with a laptop, but try to stick with Windows 7.

Windows 8 is new, cool...yet really untested in the business world as of now. I already know the software that the company I work for has issues with Windows 8.

Windows 8 is designed for tablets, and I hear a lot of complaints as to how different and problematic it is for people used to Windows and people that work in a production environment.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #33
RubyCamaro
Jan

When I reopened the computer this time Norton found an error & I had to upload an update to fix it. Gee wiz Enough already.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:55 PM   #34
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
What did the error say? Anything about corruption?

Couple more things you can try.

Press windows key and "r" again, type cmd and press enter. Finally type sfc /scannow and press enter. This will check the integrity of your system files.

When starting your PC, have you ever got a check disk (chkdsk) message?
Old 01-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #35
RubyCamaro
Jan

It just said it found an error, then it tried to fix it. It said it could not fix it & directed me to go download an update. That apparently did fix it. I don't remember getting a check disk message at least any time recently. I'll try the other thing this evening. Got to get ready for work now. Thanks for all your help.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #36
RubyCamaro
Jan

Just an update. I have managed to back up all my pics, vids & other doccuments in case this thing dies. For now it is running much better. It still occasionally makes a noise like it is struggling & I get a "high cpu usage" message but mostly when dealing with things I know ate taking to this computer like videos. Thanks everyone. Now I have time to take my time (hopefully) looking for a new computer, not lose any of my files & be able to use it in the meantime. I my Camaro5 comrads!
Old 01-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #37
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Glad to hear things are working better Ruby!