The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-19-2014, 06:16 AM   #15
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
Are you seriously attempting to make this man a better person? Are you honestly trying to help him out?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
Pretty sure its just about being an ass.
No.

And thank you for your service.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:45 AM   #16
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
Correcting people's grammar and spelling suggests the maturity of a college sophomore who's just completed their English Literature 102 requirement. Unless nobody knows what a post was supposed to mean then I suggest we move on and opt out of correcting one another. Even if your intent is truly to help somebody out it will never come off as such. It will always make you look snobby, and besides, grammar wars really throw a thread off course. Considering that a lot of us are using tapatalk or just our smart phones, grammar policing is really an exercise in futility.

To the OP, there's one around Henderson Texas, but I think he's based out of Tyler and just services the whole area. But they got my first door ding (got it on day freaking one) knocked out quite nicely.

Edit: no offense meant to any college sophomores who've completed their English requirement. Just be mindful of this the next time one of your friends tells you they're doing "good"!

Last edited by 6bangerBOOM; 05-19-2014 at 10:13 AM.
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:37 AM   #17
San2cci

Drives: 2013 silver ice metallic ZL1
It's a shame that people are on this great forum correcting other people's grammar.
San2cci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:50 AM   #18
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
As a health care provider, PDR to me = Physician Desk Reference.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #19
Baba

Quote:
Originally Posted by San2cci View Post
It's a shame that people are on this great forum correcting other people's grammar.
No. It is not a shame. Ignorance and sloppiness are not a valid excuse for anything. The odd mispelled word or missed punctuation is one thing but a post filled with mispelled words, incorrect grammar and run-on sentences screams "I don't give a shit."

If someone suffers from dyslexia, however, that's a different story.
3 Pedals

Old 05-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #20
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
When I first got married my wife asked me how to spell something. I told her to get a dictionary. Well let's just say that now I go ahead and tell her how to spell it, lol.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:21 AM   #21
San2cci

Drives: 2013 silver ice metallic ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
No. It is not a shame. Ignorance and sloppiness are not a valid excuse for anything. The odd mispelled word or missed punctuation is one thing but a post filled with mispelled words, incorrect grammar and run-on sentences screams "I don't give a shit."

No, it is a shame. People on this forum are from all walks of life and from different countries. We do not know the first thing about the person writing the original post. Maybe he does suffer from dyslexia or some other form of a literacy comprehension issue. To go out of your way to call someone out on their spelling without knowing that person is ignorant. Not to mention we are on an internet forum not writing a college essay.
San2cci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:24 AM   #22
Rob3D

Drives: Car
The main reason people correct others spelling, especially obvious minor words that don't change the message intended by the writer, is that they have low self-esteem or are insecure, and so they feel better about themselves when they put someone else down. When people have self-respect, then they usually are able to exhibit empathy and respectful behavior towards others.
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:31 AM   #23
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3D View Post
The main reason people correct others spelling, especially obvious minor words that don't change the message intended by the writer, is that they have low self-esteem or are insecure, and so they feel better about themselves when they put someone else down. When people have self-respect, then they usually are able to exhibit empathy and respectful behavior towards others.
Now we're getting psychology lessons

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:50 AM   #24
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post

Now I'm ignorant, I'm more ****ed up than I thought. Hell I'm going to give myself another .

I retired age age 53, own ( underline own ) a home in Mi. and winter home in Al., I own ( underline own ) a Camaro SS and a GMC Terrain. Just think how much better off I would have been if I only knew how spell and all that other stuff, I really messed up I guess.

I apologize if I have miss spelled any words or used these incorrectly ? . , or anything I have done incorrectly, and to the people that are smarter than me I to them.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:22 PM   #25
Baba

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53 View Post
Now I'm ignorant, I'm more ****ed up than I thought. Hell I'm going to give myself another .

I retired age age 53, own ( underline own ) a home in Mi. and winter home in Al., I own ( underline own ) a Camaro SS and a GMC Terrain. Just think how much better off I would have been if I only knew how spell and all that other stuff, I really messed up I guess.

I apologize if I have miss spelled any words or used these incorrectly ? . , or anything I have done incorrectly, and to the people that are smarter than me I to them.
I certainly wasn't criticizing you. I was making a generalization. If you took the inference thereof, however, then, perhaps, there might be a lesson to be learned.

Humility, is a trait that is learned. The first step of which is to acknowledge the area(s) which would benefit from improvement and appreciate the guidance offered in meeting those goals.

Constructive criticism, just like a good ass-whipping, should be regarded as a powerful and motivational learning tool through which to seize the initiative in wanting to improve oneself, rather than continually insisting on defending one's errant ways.

As a famous saying goes: "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." (George Santayana)
3 Pedals

Last edited by Baba; 05-20-2014 at 04:28 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #26
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by San2cci View Post
No, it is a shame. People on this forum are from all walks of life and from different countries. We do not know the first thing about the person writing the original post. Maybe he does suffer from dyslexia or some other form of a literacy comprehension issue. To go out of your way to call someone out on their spelling without knowing that person is ignorant. Not to mention we are on an internet forum not writing a college essay.
People may very well be from other countries or "walks of life", but it's still not a shame. What does a walk of life have to do with the price of tea in China? A language is a language. Either a person uses it correctly, or uses it incorrectly. Slang may not be incorrect, but using the wrong words certainly is. If a person spoke a different language, or was from a different country, don't you think that person would want to learn to speak or type better? Wouldn't correcting that person be the correct action?

Writing and speaking are improved from practice and habit, just like anything else. It doesn't matter if it's a college essay or a forum. I don't understand why people pick and choose when it's appropriate to try and correct someone. If you were on an English forum talking about spelling and grammar, and then a person said that GMC produced the Camaro, would you choose not to correct them because they weren't on a car forum?

Quote:
Is it disrespectful for a person to offer a correction to another person, or is the issue how the correction was displayed? If I say or type something that is obviously incorrect, I'd sure like to know. It's very valid to point out that people will judge you by your spelling and grammar, especially when you're competing for work.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:36 PM   #27
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
Is it disrespectful for a person to offer a correction to another person, or is the issue how the correction was displayed? If I say or type something that is obviously incorrect, I'd sure like to know. It's very valid to point out that people will judge you by your spelling and grammar, especially when you're competing for work.
There is a difference between correcting false information and correcting spelling and grammar. False information should absolutely be corrected on this site. Spelling and grammar do not really matter in terms of conveying a message (to an extent), just in how it makes you perceive the message sender. So while PalmerGA may have somehow perceived that he was helping Dark Age 53 out, the message that was actually transmitted was "hey, I'm trying to help you because you look like an idiot". This is why his post received such a negative reaction, and the thread hastened to disorder.
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #28
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Well, Rob, you missed the boat if this is your assessment as to why I do it.

I grew up and was educated in the public school system back in the 50s-70s. Fortunately for me, it was a very good school system with excellent teachers who cared how well their students excelled through life. They also encouraged their students to correct fellow classmates when they erred in speech, writing, math, history, etc., rather than letting them go through their school years in a veil of ignorance (and bad test scores)... thinking they were correct. That's all I'm doing, whether you believe me or not.

Communication is the basis of success or failure in life and (like many other important things) it is being butchered and battered and our teachers, journalists, and media personnel are standing by and letting it happen. The fact that I am repulsed by this type of degradation of America has nothing to do with low self-esteem or any sense of superiority on my part. I care... and I hope one small correction here or there will allow someone to present themselves just a little bit better to the world.

Ignorance is NOT bliss.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote