Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 11-18-2015, 12:53 PM   #1
IamR3D88

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LT RS
Trans coolers on track

I am going to install a transmission cooler over the winter to keep it cool on my next track days. The thing I am worried about though is the barbed fittings on most kits. These seem like the most common, easiest, and most affordable way of doing things. I have basically decided on a B&M kit (http://m.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70264) with the Derale radiator adapter (http://www.etrailer.com/p-D13035.html) so nothing stock gets cut.

My question/fear is- Will the barbs and hose clamps hold up in a track environment? I have heard horror stories of them coming off and making a huge mess and possibly damaging components. Are these stories from people who install them and forget them? Do the clamps need to be re-tightened before each event or at every oil change to prevent this? Were these stories possibly from people hose clamping on an un-barbed line? Or is this common?

I am willing to use AN or NPT fittings if needed, but the parts list seems to get more complicated and expensive. I also have not found a GM radiator to AN (or NPT) adapter, or a GM radiator line to AN/NPT adapter. I do not want to bypass the radiator.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It seems many are using barbed setups just fine, but I don't see how long they have been, or if they have track time(and how much).
IamR3D88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:05 PM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I'm thinking if you used hose clamps along with barbs you're golden. I'd check in with ADM Performance and order one of his kits. He's got the hoses and everything all setup and packaged for the Camaro. If I remember correctly he uses B&M as well.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:46 PM   #3
IamR3D88

I saw that kit, but it looked like it bypasses the radiator. I loved the all in one kit, but again, I really don't want to bypass it if I don't need to.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2015, 07:51 AM   #4
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Keep in mind that if a barbed connection does come loose at the track that you will probably have to pay for the kitty litter used to clean up the mess, which will most likely be on the racing line.

Norm
Old 11-19-2015, 11:21 AM   #5
IamR3D88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Keep in mind that if a barbed connection does come loose at the track that you will probably have to pay for the kitty litter used to clean up the mess, which will most likely be on the racing line.

Norm
How common is this?
Old 11-19-2015, 12:19 PM   #6
IamR3D88

I have emailed ADM about their cooler and if it can be used with a 6L50E, as well as how it gets installed (series or bypass)
Old 11-19-2015, 02:10 PM   #7
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamR3D88 View Post
How common is this?
. . . haven't seen many V8-powered cars with an AT at the track days I've been to, let alone knowing that any of them had auxiliary ATF cooling and the details of all the connections. But I have seen seepage on street-only oil and ATF cooler installations that makes me kinda uneasy. Never mind the possible consequences of a 4-off that you recover from.

Norm
Old 11-23-2015, 11:28 AM   #8
wernergmhtp

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS/RS A6
Quote:
. . . haven't seen many V8-powered cars with an AT at the track days I've been to, let alone knowing that any of them had auxiliary ATF cooling and the details of all the connections. But I have seen seepage on street-only oil and ATF cooler installations that makes me kinda uneasy. Never mind the possible consequences of a 4-off that you recover from.

Norm
I have a 2014 SS with the automatic. I've installed the ADM cooler and it works great. I completely bypassed the radiator and suggest you do the same, to avoid adding coolant heat to the transmission fluid and vice versa. The kit comes with high-quality lines with OEM-type fittings already attached - no barbs. I can't imagine a worse idea than having barbed fittings and hose clamps on something like this.
wernergmhtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:34 AM   #9
IamR3D88

Quote:
Originally Posted by wernergmhtp View Post
I have a 2014 SS with the automatic. I've installed the ADM cooler and it works great. I completely bypassed the radiator and suggest you do the same, to avoid adding coolant heat to the transmission fluid and vice versa. The kit comes with high-quality lines with OEM-type fittings already attached - no barbs. I can't imagine a worse idea than having barbed fittings and hose clamps on something like this.
Again, I need it for the 6L50 on the v6. Does anyone have an ADM or other kit without barbs on a v6?

I know for a 3 season car its fine to bypass the radiator, but this will most likely be a year round car in a few years with winters getting below 0, so I really wanted to keep the radiator attached to help it get to operating temp.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:49 AM   #10
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

I can't see it being all that much trouble to bypass the aftermarket cooler during the off-season and/or possibly bypassing the radiator during the warm/hot months. As long as the fittings are all compatible, anyway.

Norm
Old 11-23-2015, 12:04 PM   #11
IamR3D88

Quote:
I can't see it being all that much trouble to bypass the aftermarket cooler during the off-season and/or possibly bypassing the radiator during the warm/hot months. As long as the fittings are all compatible, anyway.

Norm
I've thought of that, I know you have to check fluid levels due to the change in cooler volume, so that would prolly be the hardest part. But being my daily, and having a busy life, I really want a one time upgrade that I dont have to screw with.

If the fittings and hoses in the ADM kit can be reconfigured to allow serial operation of the coolers, I would be very interested.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:30 PM   #12
wernergmhtp

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamR3D88 View Post
I've thought of that, I know you have to check fluid levels due to the change in cooler volume, so that would prolly be the hardest part. But being my daily, and having a busy life, I really want a one time upgrade that I dont have to screw with.

If the fittings and hoses in the ADM kit can be reconfigured to allow serial operation of the coolers, I would be very interested.
You could definitely do this, provided you are able to buy one additional line with the GM male fittings on each end. This may be difficult to get a hold of, but ADM may have suggestions of where to find this. In the alternative, you could have ADM make you a cooler kit with a male fitting on one end of the hoses instead of a female (and making that hose longer so it will reach up to the radiator).
wernergmhtp is offline   Reply With Quote