Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 07-06-2018, 11:51 PM   #1
Corvette_Mike

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Modern spare jack unsafe?

I received this letter from Modern spare today. If you have purchased a spare tire with the jack you may want to contact them regarding the jack. Here is the letter:

Hello,

Recently we discovered that under specific circumstances the scissor jack included in your spare tire kit may have the possibility of breaking contact with the pinch weld jacking point on your vehicle. It has been noted that in specific circumstances if the jacking pad is not precisely aligned with the pinch weld as in the instructions uneven pressure is placed on the rubber contact point of the jack. This can result in the torque of the uneven pressure to cause the contact point of the jack to shift, thus resulting in the jack pad possibly breaking contact with the pinch weld jacking point. This does not necessarily mean that the vehicle will completely fall but rather the contact point of the jack may be transferred to another surface which could result in vehicle damage.

To correct the situation we ask that you choose from one of the below options:

1) This condition does not affect all scissor jacks but rather a small percentage of the scissor jacks produced. This can be corrected by checking your scissor jack and if applicable performing an adjustment with common household tools that can be completed in 2-3 minutes. Detailed instructions and assistance will be provided upon the selection of this option.

2) In approximately 2-3 months replacement scissor jacks will be available which can be sent to you free of cost. These jacks will be prescreened to ensure that they are not out of adjustment and are not susceptible to the condition mentioned above. Should you choose this option, we ask that your current scissor jack be returned at our shipping expense.

3) A full refund can be issued for the cost of the jack included in your kit. The cost of the scissor jack is $25. Should you choose this option, we also ask that your current scissor jack from your spare tire kit be returned at our shipping expense.

Our preferred action would be option 1 as it is the quickest way to resolve the issue with minimal inconvenience. However, if you are to choose option 2 or 3 we will happily assist to quickly resolve the matter. Please do not use your scissor jack until you have contacted us to complete the inspection and possible adjustment under option 1 or to return the product under the alternative options. Doing so presents a risk of damage to your vehicle and or personal injury if you or any part of your body is under or very near the vehicle while lifting. Never under any circumstances place any part of your body under vehicle while it is raised with a scissor jack.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause. Please understand that product safety and customer satisfaction is our #1 priority. While some companies might not address this, we act quickly on any minimal or perceived issue that may come to our attention.

Thank you for your understanding in the matter. A response is required and we ask that you reply directly to this message or email info@modernspare.com. In the unlikely event that you do not receive a confirmation to your response, please call or text us at (801) 896-3395
Corvette_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:50 PM   #2
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
Great info thanks.

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:30 PM   #3
Camaro1989

Drives: 2013 Camaro
I actually saw this and recently asked them about it before ordering my kit. They said that it only applied to a handful of customers within a given production time frame and that it did not effect all of their jacks. They also said that the effected ones were prone to failure only if used improperly like was mentioned in the letter that you posted.

When I asked them if they had my kit in stock and if my jack would be effected they mentioned that as of 7/6/18 they had checked all of their current stock for any "out of adjustment" jacks and that they had tightened their quality control.

Their answer was good enough for me to order. Personally, I think it's cool that they stepped up and got in contact with their customers. My guess is that being for spare tire use it would be rare for people to use these jacks and it would have been easier/cheaper for these guys to just cross their fingers and let it slide under the preverbial rug..
Camaro1989 is offline   Reply With Quote