The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-28-2010, 12:05 PM   #15
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock69 View Post
I know! The cost of a tune up and oil change alone would be more than an average person's house payment. It's ridiculous. They are great to look at and fun to drive but in the end, they are a money pit. Not for me. If I were rich, I would have a huge collection of antique muscle cars. Now there are some cars you can work on and that won't cost you an arm and a leg to upkeep (other than storing them).
See heres the thing, its (dare I say it) NOT a money pit. Everything is just relative. You have to realize that the car is $200,000 + so a $1000 oil change in the grand scheme is only 0.5% of the purchase price, higher, relatively yes than a $60 oil change on a $40k Camaro (about 0.2%) but not completely insane. Those cars aren't pure profit (heck Chrysler LOST money on every single Viper, and the only reason Ferrari is still alive is because it is owned by FIAT), it costs a lot to build a car that costs that much. And hence the prices for parts are relative to the cost.

If you can't afford the maintenance/fuel/insurance than you truly can't afford the car. For the same reason many people here go for the V6 Camaro or no Camaro at all, in the same respect a well-to-do person should not stretch themself to buy this car. A rule of thumb is you shouldn't be buying a car thats more than 1 year of salary for you, so for a $200k+ car you have to be rolling in some serious cash to buy it.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:09 PM   #16
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
None of the above... I'd buy the most beautiful car ever built the aston DBS

or as long as we're spending fictional money... the hennesey venom
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #17
LC
ou mai gad

Drives: SW 2SS x2
PAGANI ZONDA!
Old 07-28-2010, 12:45 PM   #18
SK360
Account Suspended

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
SK360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:10 PM   #19
HeHasReturned

Drives: GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInMoscow View Post
What I did after that thread was to talk to several dealers and a Mclaren rep. I also went down to Moscow Lamborghini and talked to a mechanic. Apparently, the AMG, Audi and Mclaren will have significantly less maintenance costs than the others. Of course, Mclaren can say what they want right now because their car isn't in production yet. But at least they aren't saying that they will be way up there like Ferrari. Why can't they all be like Porsche with no scheduled maintenance for 100K miles? Or maybe I should say, "Why are porsches so ugly?"
The AMG and the r8 v10 are the way to go. You can even save yourself some money and just get an r8 4.2...It's still sexy and it's still pretty fast
HeHasReturned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:26 PM   #20
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Lamborghini Gallardo
Old 07-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #21
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
I have driven half of those and the Ferrari's are AMAZING.

The F430 is a sweet ride and you can get them for less money. Try one and see if you agree - They are worth it!

The Audi R8 is BOORING - It feels like a rent-a-car unless you have your foot in it. Too small, too civilized.

Lambo Gallardo - Sweet sounds - sweet ride. Get one if you can't get the F430. Avoid the carbon brakes unless you autocross a lot. They are like anchors once they warm up. They go from normal brakes to very agressive when warm and nothing in between. Not a fun street setup in my opinion.

The Maserati GT is a DOG to try to drive hard. Not much under the hood. You do get some excusivity and style but not much else. Too much "touring" in the grand touring if you get my drift.

The Ford GT is an uncomfotable car to get in and out of. It feels great at speed but it lives like a thinly disguised race car. Like a track only car with lights and turn signals. Shifter sucks big time but it is otherwise very driveable. So much torque you almost don't need to shift.

For my money - get the older Ferrari and pay $$$ for the maintenence. If you save driving it for just the special sunny days, it should not be too bad. It makes you think you are a better driver than you actually are.

Google "Wold Class Driving" and start saving your pennies.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #22
Jay J
Prince of Zamunda

Drives: XW30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
Lamborghini Gallardo
Isn't that the baby lambo :p?
Jay J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #23
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay J View Post
Isn't that the baby lambo :p?
You mean the better, less over-styled one?
Old 07-28-2010, 02:32 PM   #24
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Oh, and don't forget this -

+ this

= pure insanity
Old 07-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #25
FloydSummerOf68

Drives: Corvette
If you want a low-maintenance super car get yourself a 997 Turbo.

With just a tune and clutch change my dads 997 is running 11.0 @ 124mph and handles the road course like a CHAMP! Love that car, lol.
FloydSummerOf68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #26
helmincamaro
Official Lounge BAMF

Drives: '97 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to helmincamaro Send a message via Yahoo to helmincamaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeHasReturned View Post
The AMG and the r8 v10 are the way to go. You can even save yourself some money and just get an r8 4.2...It's still sexy and it's still pretty fast

I agree, out of those cars those would be the top two for me. In general, I hate mercedies but that reminds me of the old Gull wings and those are kinda cool. I'd take the 5.2 R8 any day of the week though. Some day I'm gonna have me one of them...
helmincamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:41 PM   #27
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Ferrari is king. Whoever said something about world class driving, I agree wholeheartedly. That is an awesome experience and the whole rule about not getting on it or messing around in the cars is completely gone when you actually start driving them. At one point we had all 6 cars (gallardo, f430, Maserati GS, aston vantage, bentley, Ford GT) going at least 130 on the highway. It looked like gumball 3000 or something out of a movie. Fantastic day. I actually have videos somewhere if anyone wants to see them.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #28
HeHasReturned

Drives: GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
Ferrari is king. Whoever said something about world class driving, I agree wholeheartedly. That is an awesome experience and the whole rule about not getting on it or messing around in the cars is completely gone when you actually start driving them. At one point we had all 6 cars (gallardo, f430, Maserati GS, aston vantage, bentley, Ford GT) going at least 130 on the highway. It looked like gumball 3000 or something out of a movie. Fantastic day. I actually have videos somewhere if anyone wants to see them.
Ferrari is King, but he doesn't want to pay the maintenance costs, so I'd recommend either buying used, or if he needs new, just getting the benz or audi.
Oh, and may I see these videos?
HeHasReturned is offline   Reply With Quote