Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-31-2023, 07:35 PM   #1
rich2342

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro SS
Thoughts on 415 bottom end, starting from scratch.

Sup folks.

Rarely post here. But I am wondering about a 415 forged short block for a bottom end along with LS3 top end and choice of cam.

Trying to do this soon and not a build overtime, otherwise I would go a different route.

My new LS7 bottom end took a dump at 5k miles. I can probably sell it still for some coin..

Given the above, I want torque and similar power or at least more than a cammed LS3 would provide. The LS7 was an absolute monster and pulled like a freight train from 2k up 7k (coincidentally where it broke up )

What benefit is the 415 CI bottom end in terms of power at 11:0 1 compression with stock heads and maybe something like an SS2 or SS3 Cam?

Can I accomplish this parts for 10k. I have nothing left of my previous LS3. (need top end as well)
rich2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 10:06 PM   #2
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Contact Andrew Cammer here. GPI built & tuned my 415 & I am nothing but happy period.
2013 2SS GPI built & tuned 415, spec'd by Andrew Cammer. GPI ported intake/tb/heads, Tooley springs, CHE trunnions, Callies rotating assembly, Diamond pistons, GPI SS3 VVT, ATI 10% ud damper, Circle D 3800, Kooks ceramic coated lt's with green cats, Mishimoto rad & oil cooler, Derale trans cooler, Holley efi rails.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 01:43 AM   #3
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
It depends if you're doing the install yourself or not. If you did it all yourself, purchased a 415 from say jegs, and purchased everything else to go with it I think you would be a little short maybe a couple grand or so depending on things like heads. If you need to farm out the work to someone else, then I would say around 12k + labor. That's just my ballpark figure of the top of my head like acutron42 said it would be best to get a hold of Andrew from GPI. As far as torque is concerned, I'm sure that one of the guys at GPI can make you a custom grind cam that will produce more torque than the average of the shelf cam would make and for the 11.1 compression ratio I think that's pretty standard for a 415. Just to let you know also, I have a built ls3 that I originally had a compression ratio of 10.56:1 and then changed out the head gaskets and got 10.96:1 and it really woke the engine up. I mean it idles better and just really runs better overall so that would definitely be my target goal.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 05:41 AM   #4
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Spot on MPJ. I came in pretty much in your ballpark but in the end I had them break it in & do some pulls. It was more money up front & after a few data logs & email revisions there was probably no need for a chassis dyno session & I saved there. I told Andrew the car would be mostly street with some strip. He went with 11.5:1 & wanted it to build torque early & lay down early up top. That is exactly what I got & man is it fun. Very docile cruising, many thumbs up at stop lights & ridiculous @ just half throttle. I thought long & hard about doing the work myself but @ the end of the day I am so happy that I left it to the experts.
Attached Images

2013 2SS GPI built & tuned 415, spec'd by Andrew Cammer. GPI ported intake/tb/heads, Tooley springs, CHE trunnions, Callies rotating assembly, Diamond pistons, GPI SS3 VVT, ATI 10% ud damper, Circle D 3800, Kooks ceramic coated lt's with green cats, Mishimoto rad & oil cooler, Derale trans cooler, Holley efi rails.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 08:56 AM   #5
MSgt O

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Vert LS3/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by acutron42 View Post
Spot on MPJ. I came in pretty much in your ballpark but in the end I had them break it in & do some pulls. It was more money up front & after a few data logs & email revisions there was probably no need for a chassis dyno session & I saved there. I told Andrew the car would be mostly street with some strip. He went with 11.5:1 & wanted it to build torque early & lay down early up top. That is exactly what I got & man is it fun. Very docile cruising, many thumbs up at stop lights & ridiculous @ just half throttle. I thought long & hard about doing the work myself but @ the end of the day I am so happy that I left it to the experts.
MSgt O is offline   Reply With Quote