Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-25-2020, 10:38 PM   #1
Deasmumhan

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LS
RCA Jacks on factory unit?

Hi guys... new poster here...

And sorry I saw this was kinda asked

per mike's post -

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569525

I'm sorta building on his but my questions a bit different.

I've got a 2014 Camaro V6 LS I'm a decent garage part time mechanic, lousy with wiring though. Does the stock unit have an RCA jack in it? If not can a good wiring guy splice in and make what I want to do work? Without it being a hack job? I like things neat and tidy. See below and I'll explain.

Anyways... I'm not looking to rip the guts out of my doors, I'm frankly happy with the factory speakers, and head unit and don't want the entire dash ripped out of the car. I'm just thinking of a small 500 watt Amp & small Sub in the trunk just to give the bass a bit more of a thump for when i'm out on my night time wanderings this summer. Though I'm not gonna go with anything cheap or garbage, I'm thinking Pioneer, JBL, RockFord, (or suggestions?) feel free please, money isn't an issue but please be realistic.

I like to cruise her around along the river at night and listen to some music during the summer months. It would be nice if the bass has a little more kick to it though. It's a daily driver and it's just a V6 (I get ragged on for this all the time but I saw no reason for an 8 when the cops here are nuts and it's already a target for them) but it's still mine, but I'm not looking to win a "douche of the month competition" here so I don't need some 2000 Watt amp, with new speakers, head unit, etc, just wondering if a) There's is an RCA in the stock unit? b) if no can we splice in with a small amp NOT causing any problems anywhere?

I conduct electricity very well, as I said... lousy with wiring. This will NOT be done by me, so if I get a professional to do it I'd like to be able to have some idea of what I'm telling him to do.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback.

Have a great day.
Deasmumhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 04:02 PM   #2
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
No RCAs. The OEM head unit is a POS. Mine was only 8 years old and failed. It also controls air conditioning and heating so something to look forward to.

I have a v6 also. Basically, what you need to do is tap into the rear deck speakers, then either use a LOC (line output converter) to turn the speaker signals into RCA input for an amp, or use an amp with hi-level inputs. Then you run signal from these speakers into your amp, and on to a sub in the trunk. You could go with a all-in-one unit from Pioneer or Rockford Fosgate (sub and amp in one box) or run a separate amp and sub box. I have a 600 watt Boston amp and a Boston G3 12" sub in my trunk. If you use a 10" sub you can gain more trunk space. 600 watts can rattle your teeth loose. More info and ideas in my signature link below.

Last edited by yzark99; 03-18-2020 at 04:14 PM. Reason: blah
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:45 PM   #3
Deasmumhan

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LS
Thanks for the reply yzark99, pretty much what I'm going for, nothing crazy. Appreciate the feedback. You'd think that GM would get on the bandwagon and maybe i dunno include a friggin RCA in the OEM unit? Like how much would a dinky RCA jack cost them to put in? .75 cents? At least now I'll know what to talk to my wiring guy about, and yeah a 600 Watt would be more than enough 10" Sub too, I wasn't looking to go crazy just a bit more "boom" on the bass. I'm actually kinda glad to now know that I don't have to monkey around with the deck itself and that everything can be done from the rear deck speakers so "awesome" thanks again for the tip. Bummer on the lifespan of the OEM unit though *thumb down*

P.S Nice ride yzark99 - Thanks again for the feedback. Appreciate it man.
Deasmumhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:47 PM   #4
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
You're welcome. When you are ready to upgrade the front's let me know. I replaced the tweeters first, then got components a few years later and ran off the stock HU, and now have put in a JVC touchscreen to get my HVAC controls back. Much bigger screen for my front parking camera which is a bonus.
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote