Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-19-2020, 12:44 PM   #15
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzark99 View Post
Not quite. With all of my mods, including the mistakes, I'm still 2 grand under what the dealer wanted for a 2LT, and still not even close to the V8 price then. The factory drivetrain is good for 500 HP; proven on C5 many times. The best bang for the buck is hi-flos cats or a tune. Intake is a waste of money. If you are lazy, you could always pick up a used V8. Some of us like a challenge @ 30 MPG.
Intakes aren't a waste of money because they sound sooo good

And let's be honest, modding a V6 wouldn't be the as or more expensive than buying a V8 because if you bought the 8 you would be modifying that too! I went with the 6 because I bought new, and with the car payments on top of a new (and first) house, mortgage, renos, and all the while trying to max out two retirement accounts, the slightly less payments made a difference. The mods just come from whatever extra money I may or may not have lying around at the end of the tax year - it's become somewhat of a hobby at this point.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 02:07 PM   #16
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
What car guy doesn't wanna mod his car regardless of cylinder count?

Torque is the magic stuff and that little motor in a 3600 pound car comes up shy. Since its an auto trans you can get the LT carrier and go with 3.55 gears (best available) which will feel like a big increase in torque compared to the 2.92 factory set.

Exhaust mods are zero gain on a LFX unless your a fan of tractors. The intake, Will's Extendolator, 80mm TB and tune would help for higher RPM HP.

Me, i want the 3.55s to increase torque and performance through out the RPM range.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:39 PM   #17
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
What car guy doesn't wanna mod his car regardless of cylinder count?

Torque is the magic stuff and that little motor in a 3600 pound car comes up shy. Since its an auto trans you can get the LT carrier and go with 3.55 gears (best available) which will feel like a big increase in torque compared to the 2.92 factory set.

Exhaust mods are zero gain on a LFX unless your a fan of tractors. The intake, Will's Extendolator, 80mm TB and tune would help for higher RPM HP.

Me, i want the 3.55s to increase torque and performance through out the RPM range.
There is a sticky in the V6 LFX section in this forum titled "Considering a 2LS, read this first". It talks about the rear gear ratios in the V6 cars and it can be nearly as confusing as an Abbot and Costello "who's on first" routine but my take is that only the 2LS got the 2.92 gear. The OP has a LT already so I'm pretty sure he has a 3.27 ratio. A 3.55 would be a good improvement, not sure if you can add a Posi but it's nice to have both tires spinning when you stomp the pedal. I was unaware that these drivetrains were good to 500 hp (as mentioned by yzark99). That would probably be OK on the street but my guess is if you get out on a drag strip with some sticky tires it probably won't be long until you've got expensive parts bouncing around in your rear-view mirror.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:52 AM   #18
Haydenk2004

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Hey! I need some help...

Hey guys! Im new to the camaro family, Im 16 and I just got a 2010 Camaro SS and I absolutley love it, Im planning on getting some gloss black 2014 z/28 rims and to black it all out. But Id really like it to be louder, so here is my question, whats the best way to make my car louder without it being obnoxious? Thanks guys!
Haydenk2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:49 AM   #19
BuddyLee

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
<----------------- A V6, lads. Stock out of the box 3.8-liter turbocharged V6, with 275 HP and a 0 to 60 mph time of 4.7 seconds. At that time, the Buick GNX was the fastest accelerating production car in the world. Not to brag but to point out that a V6 can be coaxed to better things. The Buick GNX turns the quarter-mile in 12.7 seconds at 113.1 mph, beating the Ferrari F40 by 0.3 seconds. The only car that was faster than the V6 at the time was the Lamborghini Countach. A V6 legend. My question is why cannot the Camaro 3.6L engine with trubo or supercharger no expect v8 like performance?
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:07 AM   #20
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
There is a sticky in the V6 LFX section in this forum titled "Considering a 2LS, read this first". It talks about the rear gear ratios in the V6 cars and it can be nearly as confusing as an Abbot and Costello "who's on first" routine but my take is that only the 2LS got the 2.92 gear. The OP has a LT already so I'm pretty sure he has a 3.27 ratio. A 3.55 would be a good improvement, not sure if you can add a Posi but it's nice to have both tires spinning when you stomp the pedal. I was unaware that these drivetrains were good to 500 hp (as mentioned by yzark99). That would probably be OK on the street but my guess is if you get out on a drag strip with some sticky tires it probably won't be long until you've got expensive parts bouncing around in your rear-view mirror.
I think the 1LS (6sp manual) and LT's have the (SS) V8 rear differential and rear axle half-shafts. So, the OP should be pretty good on those items. However, I don't know how good the stock automatic transmission is on the V6 models.

The AY-6 was good for up to 345 ft-lbs of torque so I assume the 6L50 automatic is probably about the same. Keep the torque output to around that number or less and you should be okay. If you go much higher like with F.I., then don't do racing from a dig with slicks unless you like breaking parts. Just my opinion.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:15 AM   #21
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
<----------------- A V6, lads. Stock out of the box 3.8-liter turbocharged V6, with 275 HP and a 0 to 60 mph time of 4.7 seconds. At that time, the Buick GNX was the fastest accelerating production car in the world. Not to brag but to point out that a V6 can be coaxed to better things. The Buick GNX turns the quarter-mile in 12.7 seconds at 113.1 mph, beating the Ferrari F40 by 0.3 seconds. The only car that was faster than the V6 at the time was the Lamborghini Countach. A V6 legend. My question is why cannot the Camaro 3.6L engine with trubo or supercharger no expect v8 like performance?
Got one for you Buddy. Scroll on over to the FORCED INDUCTION V6 section of this forum. Half way down first page click on TWIN TURBO 2010 CAMARO WITH LFX ENGINE. Member Alice designed and built an engineering masterpiece. You CAN get crazy HP results from the LFX it's just not financially practical for the average hobbyist at this time.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:28 AM   #22
BuddyLee

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Got one for you Buddy. Scroll on over to the FORCED INDUCTION V6 section of this forum. Half way down first page click on TWIN TURBO 2010 CAMARO WITH LFX ENGINE. Member Alice designed and built an engineering masterpiece. You CAN get crazy HP results from the LFX it's just not financially practical for the average hobbyist at this time.
Thanks! The question would be how much does one want to spend for the horsepower gained? HP=x$
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 05:56 PM   #23
zellis1984

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro
Thanks, everyone for the tips! I appreciate it! I did find the JacFab extendolator and Laminator FX that I am considering. I had also purchased, (prior to all of this, and not knowing the SS x pipe would fit), an X pipe from Total flow. Anyone know of or have any experience with this brand? Should I use it?

Also, does anyone have any idea of what could be making this metal on metal rattle sound? To me, it sounds like a loose heat shield but I cannot locate it. It makes this sound at startup and when giving a little throttle. When the mufflers went on, while on the lift, I checked underneath all around and could not find the source. Also, to me, it sounds like it's coming from the front of the car.

Thanks again folks!
zellis1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 09:28 AM   #24
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
^Rattle is probably one of the exhaust shields up near the engine.

I have both the JacFab Laminator FX and Extendolator. Both produced noticeable gains when installed.
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:10 AM   #25
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Some V6 cars can indeed be coaxed to add HP and be fun to drive too!

Name:  7583A3B6-5D44-45F9-913C-30E3C056B382.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  72.1 KB
Old 02-16-2021, 09:19 AM   #26
DetroitBadboy
Just a guy enjoying t

Drives: Chevy camaro lt
Send a message via AIM to DetroitBadboy Send a message via MSN to DetroitBadboy Send a message via Yahoo to DetroitBadboy
I've been reading a lot of these threads and there is a ton of conflicting advice/information in regards to heads, long or short tubes and cams. I have a 13 Lt1 and thus far have went with performance CAI and ported intake manifold and ported throttle body and straight pips. Now the overkill set up is yet to be installed along with tb and not being a true engine guy this forum gives a ton of info and at the same time a lot of speculation on what should come next but no solid direction. I get it's all personal preference but I've read, go with headers and long pipes to you can't. Which by the way I know you can't due to design. And then I read the whole catch can debate and for a guy like me after reading such broad discrepancy from one thing to the next it makes it hard to come here and actually know which way to go. I mean companies advertise for headers and catch cans and all kids of other stuff you can't use or don't anything to actually benefit your vehicle. And I already know the whole buy a v8 and if it's not that it's the supercharger and turbo debate which I plan on doing neither. Im just trying to get a clear understanding of mods that if by doing one what else does that mod effect and what else should be modified to compliment one another and not lead to possible problems down the road by not doing. Maybe I missed it but the conflicting content makes it hard and goggle will sell anything weather it fits your vehicle or not. Ànd im sure someone will blast me here for not wording something right and that's fine I'm just looking for consistency here and have yet to see it.

Last edited by DetroitBadboy; 02-16-2021 at 09:29 AM.
DetroitBadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:11 AM   #27
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitBadboy View Post
I've been reading a lot of these threads and there is a ton of conflicting advice/information in regards to heads, long or short tubes and cams. I have a 13 Lt1 and thus far have went with performance CAI and ported intake manifold and ported throttle body and straight pips. Now the overkill set up is yet to be installed along with tb and not being a true engine guy this forum gives a ton of info and at the same time a lot of speculation on what should come next but no solid direction. I get it's all personal preference but I've read, go with headers and long pipes to you can't. Which by the way I know you can't due to design. And then I read the whole catch can debate and for a guy like me after reading such broad discrepancy from one thing to the next it makes it hard to come here and actually know which way to go. I mean companies advertise for headers and catch cans and all kids of other stuff you can't use or don't anything to actually benefit your vehicle. And I already know the whole buy a v8 and if it's not that it's the supercharger and turbo debate which I plan on doing neither. Im just trying to get a clear understanding of mods that if by doing one what else does that mod effect and what else should be modified to compliment one another and not lead to possible problems down the road by not doing. Maybe I missed it but the conflicting content makes it hard and goggle will sell anything weather it fits your vehicle or not. Ànd im sure someone will blast me here for not wording something right and that's fine I'm just looking for consistency here and have yet to see it.

There are many different ways to mod a car and that’s why you will always have different answers. Some like NA others like boost and some even nos. And with each of those you can go a dozen or more ways and they are all right.
As for a catch can they are great at catching blow by and I empty mine every oil change and it catches a decent amount. Farther have it in that can instead of my intake manifold
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 03:09 PM   #28
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Detroit, I definitely understand that some of the information here can be a bit overwhelming. My Father once told me "10 different experts, 10 different opinions" and it is true in the Hot Rod culture and in other hobbies as well. This forum is a fantastic source of knowledge and you can learn from other peoples successes and mistakes. Best bet is to set a realistic goal, evaluate your finances, do your automotive homework and then move forward in small increments. As long as you don't get sucker-punched by some internet to-good-to-be-true product or break any expensive components you'll be OK. In the end it's all about having fun with your machine.