Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-17-2020, 10:35 AM   #1
zellis1984

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro
2013 Camaro LT 3.6L LFX HP mods

What are the best mods for 3.6 LFX (auto trans) to get more power? First time Camaro owner. Always wanted one and am glad it's a Gen5! I know it's not the SS or a manual like I wanted, but beggars can't be choosers! Any advice is appreciated.

I did put on a Spectre CAI (will probably switch to a different brand later) and replaced the factory mufflers from the axel back with flowmaster super 10's. Thanks for any help and advice!
zellis1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:22 AM   #2
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
not sure theres a lot that are cost effective.lets face it,you are getting 323 horsepower out of 217 cubic inches.GM did a pretty good job with these motors to begin with.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:53 AM   #3
BuddyLee

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Larger throttle body and headers? My son Little Ricky had a nice V-6 1992 that put hood and decal on. Any year Camaro V-6 are great for body and interior mods and are the best for driving country roads with many many twists and turns. Oh, and my Buick V-6 is faster than my 2SS Rs every day of the week.
Attached Images

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:02 AM   #4
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
Larger throttle body and headers? My son Little Ricky had a nice V-6 1992 that put hood and decal on. Any year Camaro V-6 are great for body and interior mods and are the best for driving country roads with many many twists and turns. Oh, and my Buick V-6 is faster than my 2SS Rs every day of the week.
Beautiful Iroc!
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:36 PM   #5
chasmanian

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
I had a CAI, intake spacer and tune (between upper and lower plenum). The seat of the pants meter registered a big change. You can also do high flow cats, throttle body and spacer, gears, forced induction, and even cams from a company in Australia.
chasmanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:30 PM   #6
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Best bang-for-your-buck mods might include:

Cold air intake;
Jacfab's Laminator FX (perhaps not as effective as a ported/modified factory manifold but a lot cheaper);
Jacfab's Extendolator (spacer between plenum and manifold);
Removing the secondary cat on the factory downpipes;
Tune.

From there it all comes down to how much you want to spend:

Ported factory manifold;
80mm throttle body;
High-flow cats (if you removed the secondary cats on the factory pipes I suspect these wouldn't add much benefit);
Cams (Mace Engineering makes these; I have them but haven't installed them - plan to fairly soon!).
Rear end swap (such as going to the 1LE rear end for 3.91 gears).
E85 kit.

Intake + exhaust + tune will get you around 300 WHP (stock is ~250); E85 will get you another 15 HP I believe; cams can get you another 40 or so with proper tuning (seems to be a lot of uncertainty about how much power these cams can make as some tuners don't play with the variable valve timing and allow the engine to spin past redline - guess I'll find out for myself after I install them). In any case, full bolt-ons including cams will get you somewhere in the vicinity of 400+ HP/~320 lb/ft torque at the crank which ain't too shabby for an NA 3.6 V6! With 3.91 gears on top of this you're looking at a 0-60 in ~5.0 seconds, also not bad for a fat ass car.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:58 PM   #7
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Torque is what you feel when driving around and there's no way to significantly improve on that unless you go F.I. However, the $6K+ it would cost to do that, you might well upgrade to an SS that comes with 400tq stock.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do any mods on your V6 like some will advise, but don't expect it to be a torque monster like the V8.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:17 PM   #8
chasmanian

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
mikeman is right to a point, but if you have the auto, you'll feel a lot from the tune alone. The stock shift program is pretty soft.
chasmanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:04 PM   #9
BuddyLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by zellis1984 View Post
What are the best mods for 3.6 LFX (auto trans) to get more power? First time Camaro owner. Always wanted one and am glad it's a Gen5! I know it's not the SS or a manual like I wanted, but beggars can't be choosers! Any advice is appreciated.

I did put on a Spectre CAI (will probably switch to a different brand later) and replaced the factory mufflers from the axel back with flowmaster super 10's. Thanks for any help and advice!
Dyno Steve seems to be a quick response type. you might ask him what you could expect from one of his tunes.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:06 PM   #10
joekono

Drives: Camaro Convertible 2014 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
not sure theres a lot that are cost effective.lets face it,you are getting 323 horsepower out of 217 cubic inches.GM did a pretty good job with these motors to begin with.
Amen to that!!
Old 10-19-2020, 08:24 AM   #11
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
It continues to amaze me how many people mod the V6.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:37 AM   #12
BuddyLee

Cold air induction system, long-tube headers, a stock SS mid-pipe, performance mufflers, ported throttle-body, and a tune would push low 14. I would think.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:35 AM   #13
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Can't do headers because of the LFX integrated head/ex manifold design. In order to get significant HP gains you'll need to spend significant coin. It is doable, just expensive. You'll probably end up with the cost of the car and mods being greater than the cost of a similar condition bone stock SS car. Doing serious mods can also effect daily driver dependability. Don't forget your drivetrain is factory built for 323 HP, expensive improvements are needed to handle extra power. Maybe do a 3.91 1LE rear swap (probably not cheap) to get the best results on the glute dyno. Other upgrades: suspension and tire improvements as components wear out. Enjoy the car as GM designed, as mentioned above they did a pretty good job on this one.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2020, 11:17 AM   #14
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
Quote:
You'll probably end up with the cost of the car and mods being greater than the cost of a similar condition bone stock SS car.
Not quite. With all of my mods, including the mistakes, I'm still 2 grand under what the dealer wanted for a 2LT, and still not even close to the V8 price then. The factory drivetrain is good for 500 HP; proven on C5 many times. The best bang for the buck is hi-flos cats or a tune. Intake is a waste of money. If you are lazy, you could always pick up a used V8. Some of us like a challenge @ 30 MPG.

Last edited by yzark99; 10-19-2020 at 11:20 AM. Reason: snarky
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote