Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-11-2020, 05:26 AM   #1
aaberg

Drives: 1997 30th conv & 2012 45th conv
New stereo in a Camaro 2012

I want to replace my original radio with a more modern also possible to have maps in it, like Google maps. I want the stereo to fit original place on dash. Any ideas? Great if you want to ad links. Thanks!
aaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:35 AM   #2
phk36

Drives: 45 th 2ss convertible
You can by a 2013 -14 stock radio with navigation. It will looks like it belongs but you have to do a few mods that gen5 dyi sells . It may be the same price as an aftermarket when it’s all said and done
Old 10-11-2020, 08:12 AM   #3
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
I have the P A C unit and a Kenwood head unit.
Attached Images

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:21 PM   #4
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by phk36 View Post
You can by a 2013 -14 stock radio with navigation. It will looks like it belongs but you have to do a few mods that gen5 dyi sells . It may be the same price as an aftermarket when it’s all said and done
Actually going that route will be a LOT more expensive than going the aftermarket route and you’ll still end up with basically a unit that’s lacking a lot of newer features, including accurate maps from Google or Apple.

The audio section of this forum is one of the areas of the site that seems to still be fairly active. I’d check it out and you’ll get a lot of good info regarding your options.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:44 PM   #5
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Your best bet for extreme functionality is to go with an iDatalink compatible head unit and the iDatalink Maestro Part # KIT-CAM1. This has full CanBus, OBD integration, physical Climate Control Buttons, and will allow you to run on-screen OBD gauges, TPMS display check and clear codes, etc... on your head unit if you want as well. Google Maps, Waze, Spotify, Pandora, Amazon Alexa Integration, Siri Integration, SiriusXM, Apple Car Play, Android Auto...these are some of the features the top iDatalink head units come with. This kit also adds additional USB charging/data ports, HDMI, and an Aux port. You can of course get a lot of these features with other NON-iDatalink head units using the other dash kits, but the iDatalink head units have integrated the car's CanBus system fully into the head unit rather than relying on extra screens or physical buttons. The fact that it has separate physical controls for climate control is a benefit it shares with the PAC unit.

There is also the PAC kit, but personally I don't like the sunken in look of it and the lack of controls for vehicle options (such as warning chime, door locks, courtesy lights, etc). The benefit of this kit is it retains a stock-like look as it uses the knobs and overall aesthetics from the factory head unit. This is by far the most widely installed kit on these cars, mainly due to its original looks.

Also available is the Scosche Canbus kit part # ITCGM01AB. I have this in my car (1st version with a single touch screen and physical buttons for the climate controls and door locks) and it has 2 separate touch screens for the Climate Controls and vehicle settings/functions. I will eventually be upgrading to an iDatalink setup. It's an ok unit, but the touchscreen for climate controls is not very responsive and doesn't do much for improving the looks of the interior. It also partially blocks the 4 pack gauges.

Finally, there is the Metra Dash kit. I know very little about this kit and its features, but it does have an assortment of physical climate control buttons and a small horizontally placed LCD control screen.

*Some of these units will require the purchase of additional modules to retain functionality of Onstar and steering wheel controls.

https://maestro.idatalink.com/access...product_id/929

https://catalog.pac-audio.com/catalo...ts/rpk5-gm4101

https://www.scosche.com/2010-2014-ch...ution-dash-kit

http://www.metraonline.com/part/Chev...h_kit_99-3010S
Attached Images

2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 10-11-2020 at 02:05 PM.
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:39 PM   #6
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
I just did my sound system and updated my build. Pics are here

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...1#post10883270

Alpine IXC W650 stereo head
Alpine X-A90V amp
Alpine R-W 12D4 subwoofer
Alpine RUX-knob.2 Remote Bass Controller
German Maestro EV6508 speakers
German Maestro EV5008 speakers
Sound proof
Audiovox ACA 800 backup cam
Metra 99-3010 Dash Kit
Axxess Steering Wheel Control Interface
Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune, QTP QTEC 66 Low Profile Cutouts and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
TRANSITION FROM STOCK TO CAM VID
Maxspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:01 PM   #7
Shtiggs

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS Manual
Is there any way to still use the stock backup cam when going aftermarket or is that not an option.
Shtiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:24 PM   #8
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
The after market has better prices now
But the Nav kit that came in the 13's looked good to me
Attached Images

PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:08 PM   #9
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shtiggs View Post
Is there any way to still use the stock backup cam when going aftermarket or is that not an option.
Depends on the head unit that you go with. Mine has the option but I do not have a factory back up camera.
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:44 AM   #10
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
^More pain than it's worth. You would have to adapt the OEM lines to work with aftermarket, and that camera is optimized for the rear view mirror display. Just put in a new rear camera for better quality.
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:51 AM   #11
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
The cool thing about the CAM1 kit is those buttons are programmable to whatever you want. Multiple options can be saved on 1 button. Either quick press or hold it down. On mine, 1 turns on the front camera, 2 is loudness, 3 up/down is temperature, holding 3 down turns on Max AC + Recirculate + Max Fans, and 4 is rear defrost and heated side mirrors. Super convenient.

Last edited by yzark99; 10-14-2020 at 11:59 AM. Reason: klaritea
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:14 PM   #12
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzark99 View Post
^More pain than it's worth. You would have to adapt the OEM lines to work with aftermarket, and that camera is optimized for the rear view mirror display. Just put in a new rear camera for better quality.
Actually he should be able to get a harness from Metra or PAC or one of the other parts company that will be plug and play. Having said that, it’s not difficult or very expensive to install a new camera which will probably give a better image.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:23 AM   #13
Mr2Hard2See
Instagram: Mr2Hard2See

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS
I would do $460 shipped on my mylink nav unit and I’ll include the complete gen5diy harness with it for simple install send me a dm if interested
Attached Images

Che bronze trunnion Ls3 timing/valley cover
Dod/vvt delete Dsx e85 Dsx aux fuel pump Id1050x injectors ZL1 fuel pump, Griptech 2.55 pulley, Solo performance Mach ll 2.5 catback exhaust 1 7/8th Lt headers
Mr2Hard2See is offline   Reply With Quote