Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-10-2019, 03:35 PM   #29
dohvb1

Drives: 2018 Hot Wheels Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowclimb View Post
Does anyone know the percentage of vehicles with the A8 sold that have been impacted by this issue or reported? Is that published anywhere?
There is a poll here in the transmission section https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541564
It says 73% have experienced the problem. I came across it when someone had mentioned it in a previous post and I was curious. I found it and voted no. Never would have come across it unless I was searching for since I don't normal venture into that section. So my guess is that 70+% is slightly misleading since the majority of people who come across it are those who visit the transmission section because they are having problems.
dohvb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:40 PM   #30
ste1n

Drives: 2019 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcmahan60 View Post
I just removed the Range because it was worse then the shudder itself. I had the flush done at 22k now I am at 27k. Even with the V4 mode disabled the Torque Convertor was going in and out of lockup. That is why I took off the Range AFM.
I don't have any problem as of this moment but my car only has 950 miles. I will receive range disabler tomorrow. Should I use it for a while and see what happens or just return it immediately and get my money back?
ste1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:14 PM   #31
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
So far, I have 8600 on my car, and haven't had any issues with TRANS shudder.
I have to watch the pumpkin and make sure it has the right delco oil, or with others, the right friction modifiers in there.
" My AFM has been turned off since I got my 16 GMC Sierra and I have yet to have any issues with the shudder."

Yeah, I'd love to know how to disable that GD thing. Even with semi-permanent long leg running I have around here, I doubt it's really doing that much for me in even the economy department.
When I get to stop&go stuff, the constant going from V4 to V8 and that dayam exhaust changing all the time is enough to "P" you off.
Sounds like a Nerd-wagon with the farts! (LOUD, then soft---LOUD then soft)

Hey, looking like big cheese only 25% of the time----- gets old... and there's no future in that!!!
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:16 PM   #32
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
When i mean DISABLE, I mean just that----no "ranger" or any other bilious crap you have to fuss with.

(Git-er-DONE!)
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:02 PM   #33
Captrob

Drives: 2010 V6 Camaro and 2016 2SS Camaro
How noticeable is the shudder? I have noticed a vibration but always assumed it was the road or tires.
Captrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:01 AM   #34
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
You will feel it in the seat of your pants and if you watch your RPM's , it will go up and down a few hundred as it is doing it.
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:46 AM   #35
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhopt36 View Post
When i mean DISABLE, I mean just that----no "ranger" or any other bilious crap you have to fuss with.

(Git-er-DONE!)

The only way to disable the AFM without a 3rd party device is via a tune, which is exactly how I did mine. I have HP Tuners so I licensed my truck and turned the AFM off along with several other tune modifications.

I have AFM turned off and the slip tables for the TCC have been zero'd out. The only reason for the slip tables is that GM wants the transmission to shift and those shifts not be felt as much as possible. That includes torque converter lock up, they dont want you to feel the TCC locking up. I remember on my 1989 Formula 350 with the 700R4, you knew when the TCC locked up as you could feel it.

GM needs to hire another transmission calibrator in my opinion. Quit taking the performance out of the vehicles and making them drive like a bunch of 80+ year old owners are out for a Sunday drive. GM could take some cue's from Audi on how to make a A8 shift correctly. My wifes 2016 SQ5 shifts great in normal mode and in sport mode or manual mode it is a flat out beast.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:27 PM   #36
merlin803

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro 2SS
For what it is worth, I had the flush done on my 2016 SS just over a year and about 10,000 miles ago and so far have not experienced the shudder again. It was very noticeable and repeatable before that.
merlin803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:30 PM   #37
Gutling

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0 LT
The 4-cylinders have it with the a8, and they do not have AFM as far as I know. So, it can't be based only on that. I have had mine confirmed and flushed.
Gutling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:13 PM   #38
vidkidZ
Mobile/Embedded Architect

Drives: '16 2SS white convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captrob View Post
How noticeable is the shudder? I have noticed a vibration but always assumed it was the road or tires.
The low-tone audible vibration starts under the center console, and can be felt in the seat. Vibrating like a washing machine in the spin cycle. It quickly travels towards the engine and the entire car starts to shake and comes across strongly in the steering wheel and every surface of the car. It initially started off only in v4 mode and over time also started to occur in v8 mode.

It occurs cruising on the freeway in 8th gear, when there is added load to the transmission when driving on an incline. If the car has a vibration, but no sound, it's at the early stages of the issue. When you feel the vibration, manually downshift into 7th gear, it should stop instantly.

It will also happen, slower and much stronger, when driving uphill on very hilly roads at 25mph. This is where I first noticed there was a problem.
vidkidZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:27 PM   #39
Gutling

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0 LT
I thought it was the road for a long time, until it happened at different places on same road. It got to where if I was going up a very slight incline it would be most noticable, and the car would vibrate like going over rumble strips.
Gutling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:10 PM   #40
njweatherman

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS, redline edition
2018 2ss, automatic, with flowmaster axle back NPP exhaust, K&N blackhawk cold air intake. Build date August 2017.
I bought the car in late August 2018. So far, I have 4400 miles on it with no shudder yet. However, I do drive with the rangefinder to keep the AFM off.
njweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:03 PM   #41
jcastag

Drives: 2017 Camaro FIFTY 2SS
I think the VIN breaking point for no TC shudder will be the car that is built the day they no longer use the A8... Need to wait
jcastag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:39 PM   #42
BlueCam

Drives: 16 2SS Blue Velvet (SOLD)
My 2016 SS A8 had the shudder problem at 24K. The previous dealer did a triple tranny/TC flush per the tech bulletin and at 30K the shudder has not returned. My new dealer says that once the "January fix" is in the field for the tranny/TC (which includes instructions, a tool and new type tranny fluid), they will apply the new fix, shudder or not.

What concerns me is that the differential fluid in my new car was crap and was supposedly the cause of cold morning rear end groan on left turns. Now its a failing trans fluid. At what point (and how often) after my warranty is over will I be spending big bucks for fluid changes every time I hear a groan or shudder? Come on GM, this isn't rocket science.

I know, I know . . . should have had a manual tranny from the git go.

GPG

GPG
BlueCam is offline   Reply With Quote