Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-22-2023, 09:59 AM   #15
armycop71
Love my Satin Steel LT-1!

Drives: 6-Speed LT-1...
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekend_cruiser View Post
I completely get the extra clutch wear. I am however not clear on how this damages or wears out the transmission. Maybe someone can clarify that for me.
The clutch disc has friction material similar to a brake pad. The friction material is used to slip and eventually grab the flywheel. Riding the clutch or slippage will burn off more of that material than normal driving. I've replaced a clutch on a 6-speed Mini Cooper S that was metal on metal. Also, clutches get hot when slipping, and that heat can damage the flywheel. I've seen hairline cracks on flywheels from too much heat.

6-Speed Man|Carbon Flash Wheels
Technology Pkg|NPP|Satin Blk Pkg
ZL1 Rock Guards|Red Knee Pad Set
PBC LT1 engine built by Debi Lewis
armycop71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 11:16 AM   #16
haggler

Drives: '23 2SS RSblue 6MT, sold '19 ND2
That's not the enjoyment of driving a manual transmission. Most of the fun is learning how to shift and operate the car smoothly. I used to tell people you know when you've mastered driving a manual car if you can drive the car smoothly while driving slowly without spilling a cup of coffee. It takes proper timing and throttle/clutch control to drive a manual car smoothly when the throttle isnt wide open. I've driven stick for 20 years; this isn't the easiest manual to drive but it's also not the most difficult. Its very rewarding when getting it right. Also, as others have said, you're missing out on a very fun gear. The seat in your pants feel is from 1st gear! There is nothing like revving out this beast 1st-2nd.

If you need help, turn on rev-match. This will help with upshifts as well. Then when you get more used to the car turn it off and see the difference and try to make changes. The drive modes change the throttle input as well, so try to stick to one drive mode at first, like sport or tour.

The learning curve for me was starting from a dig because he gears are longer. I always drove japanese cars with very aggressive first gears. All this means is you have to rev it a bit more.

5-6-22:1100,
7-19-22: 3000,
8-3-22: TPW 8/15/22,
10-4-22: ETA 10/13/2022
10-15-22 6000
haggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 12:17 PM   #17
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
If you aren’t getting thrown back in your seat in first gear at low rpm it is because you have the throttle in track mode. In track mode I noticed down low it’s slightly dead versus sport and tour and I have to give it more rpm to get going smoothly. Try it out in sport mode.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 01:01 PM   #18
JT6Speed

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggler View Post
That's not the enjoyment of driving a manual transmission. Most of the fun is learning how to shift and operate the car smoothly. I used to tell people you know when you've mastered driving a manual car if you can drive the car smoothly while driving slowly without spilling a cup of coffee. It takes proper timing and throttle/clutch control to drive a manual car smoothly when the throttle isnt wide open. I've driven stick for 20 years; this isn't the easiest manual to drive but it's also not the most difficult. Its very rewarding when getting it right. Also, as others have said, you're missing out on a very fun gear. The seat in your pants feel is from 1st gear! There is nothing like revving out this beast 1st-2nd.

If you need help, turn on rev-match. This will help with upshifts as well. Then when you get more used to the car turn it off and see the difference and try to make changes. The drive modes change the throttle input as well, so try to stick to one drive mode at first, like sport or tour.

The learning curve for me was starting from a dig because he gears are longer. I always drove japanese cars with very aggressive first gears. All this means is you have to rev it a bit more.
Agree with this. You can drive this manual so smooth that it feels like a regular old passenger car, even at very slow speeds. The key like you said is balancing throttle and clutch. The clutch can definitely be a bit tricky, and there's times I definitely don't get it perfect and you feel that slight buck. But for OP, focus on crusing around and getting it smooth, even from 1-2 gear. Once you can do that, shifting up high when you give it some gas will be a breeze.

Also, once the car and trans warms up the shifter starts to feel a lot better.
JT6Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 03:13 PM   #19
RxSummit16

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro LT2 RS
I had a 2004 GTO that reached 100K miles on one clutch...I probably took off in 2nd 3/4 of the time that I had the car. I had a 2012 GLI that I had for over 40K miles that I used 2nd even more with and no problems. First in the GLI was so incredibly short that unless you were wanting to really get up and go it wasn't worth it...
Old 06-22-2023, 05:11 PM   #20
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I have been driving a manual since 1979 including now and 99 percent of the time I start off in 1st gear from a complete stop. It lugs the engine in my experience to start off in 2nd gear and wears on the clutch but to the Op you do what is comfortable to you.
Old 06-22-2023, 05:57 PM   #21
1sickzl1

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6
I always start in 1st from a dead stop. Yes, the 1-2 shift is a bit notchy but imo there's no real reason to take off from 2nd under normal conditions. Just practice and you'll get there.

RF intake, Soler TB & TC, ADM v2 reservoir, AWE Touring non-resonated catback exhaust.

535 whp, 537 tq. SAE Smoothing: 5. DynoJet.
No tune. 91 octane.
1sickzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 06:16 PM   #22
Cheese ZL1

Drives: 23 Camaro ZL1
do all 23 zl1 m6 have skip shift? I haven’t experienced it yet.
Cheese ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 06:21 PM   #23
1sickzl1

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese ZL1 View Post
Try and shift from 1-2 at a low rpm and it'll surely kick in

RF intake, Soler TB & TC, ADM v2 reservoir, AWE Touring non-resonated catback exhaust.

535 whp, 537 tq. SAE Smoothing: 5. DynoJet.
No tune. 91 octane.
1sickzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 06:34 PM   #24
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese ZL1 View Post
All M6 v8 Camaros from 2016-2023 have skip shift. Once the engine comes up to operating temperature the skip shift engages if you pull away from a dead stop in first gear. It engages between 15-19 mph. If you hold first gear to 2K rpm before shifting, you will be at 20 mph and it will not engage.

To the OP's question: I do not do 2nd gear starts. I don't like feathering the clutch that much to get the car rolling. Now once underway in first gear and if I want to just loiter along, I will shift 1-3-5-6. Or sometimes I shift 1-2-4-6. In fact there is so much torque available you can easily go 1-3-6 or many other combinations.

Now when I want to rip on it - it's 1-2-3-4 and then lift to keep from getting the car impounded for excessive speed!

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)

Last edited by SSDan; 06-22-2023 at 06:45 PM.
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 09:28 PM   #25
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
It sounds as though you need more experience with driving a manual. In anything I’ve ever driven, I’ve never consistently started in second gear. There’s a reason a car has 1st gear. You’re claim of basically having no torque/power starting in first makes no sense. It’s a 6.2 V8 with plenty of torque and the car doesn’t weigh that much.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 11:58 PM   #26
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekend_cruiser View Post
How many of you consistently take off in 2nd gear?

As I have now become one with the machine in-terms of learning how to drive a manual smoothly , for the past week or so, I have been experimenting with taking off in 2nd gear compared to always doing it in 1st. So far, I have to say this has made my driving experience much more enjoyable. I now always do it unless it’s from a moderate to steep hill.

I never got the throw-you-in-the-back of your seat feeling in 1st gear ever since I started driving this car. Maybe I am doing it wrong but most times I find myself having to rev it quite a bit (>4000 rpm) in 1st to cover decent ground. I don’t have pro race driver shifting speed so by the time I shift into 2nd, I feel like everyone has passed me. The TR6060’s non-smoothness shifting from 1st to 2nd doesn’t help matters. I particularly don’t enjoy having to shift from 1st to 2nd when making a right or left through an intersection which I tend to do when taking off in 1st.

Taking off in 2nd so far has been a really fun experience. After smoothly engaging the clutch and releasing it, I get the throw-you-in-the-back of your seat feeling and in the blink of an eye, the car is already past 60mph.

I'll start in 2nd from a stop on a downslope, when I'm not trying to go fast. Pretty much all other times, I start in first. With this much torque, skipping gears is normal.
Anyone else have similar experiences good or bad?

Also, any cons in taking off in 2nd gear besides slightly more clutch wear? Any engine lugging concerns?
Yes, this is a NA engine. If you want to go fast, you'll need to rev 1st up high and go to 2nd. It'll go at least 50mph in 1st and it'll get there quite fast. That's why you aren't getting the kick in the pants feeling. Engine is most alive from 4K onwards.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 12:00 AM   #27
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickzl1 View Post
Try and shift from 1-2 at a low rpm and it'll surely kick in
Not if you momentarily blip the shift lever to the right in between 1 and 2. That's one way to defeat it.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 03:40 AM   #28
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
I have been driving a manual since 1979 including now and 99 percent of the time I start off in 1st gear from a complete stop. It lugs the engine in my experience to start off in 2nd gear and wears on the clutch but to the Op you do what is comfortable to you.
Yes.

Op Try 1-3-5 shifting for around town.

1st gear might be slow because of traction control