The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: ZL1 or GT500, Which one would you get?
ZL1 5 35.71%
GT500 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #29
oldlugs
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Bullitt + 2009 Shelby GT-500KR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ltcap View Post
if we have battery tech that'll go the same range as our gas power card, and won't take en entire day or night to recharge, and won't weigh so much as to kill our handling, and will be as clean as our gas engines(think about that one), and will remain reliable...then i'd be ok with them.
Give 'em some time...
oldlugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #30
1ltcap
Banned

Drives: 2012 mustanng gt, 1968 chevy camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlugs View Post
Give 'em some time...
i know....the battery tech is coming up fast.....but i don't think it's gonna make it to that point in my lifetime. if it does, i would think then that scifi is happening too, and i'll be able to go down to the corner store and pick out a new body for myself.

we;ll have to have cleaner/more efficient sources of electricity too.
1ltcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #31
1ltcap
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyjns20 View Post
I wander why its not compared to the GT500?
because that would be a fair comparison.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #32
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
Aside from hand made super exotics, it is the most powerful production v8 in the world. I think it's out this summer. And no, ZR1 will still destroy the GT500. Better tires, better suspension, better balanced, better aero dynamics, just over all a better performance platform.
Isn't the engine in the GT500 a hand build "low volume" produced engine? I would be interested to see if Ford corrects to SAE J1995 or SAE J1349. I know GM certifies to J1349 which is "net" engine power. I would bet that Ford corrects to J1995 which is "gross" engine power. That would account for a few percent of the difference between the two. I keep hearing people say "GM under-rates their engines" and I think it's just they rate them as net and not gross. I am very interested to see how this Mustang performs. Love them or hate them, you got to hand it to Ford. It took some stones to go for broke like this. Hope that thing stays together...
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #33
1ltcap
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
Isn't the engine in the GT500 a hand build "low volume" produced engine? I would be interested to see if Ford corrects to SAE J1995 or SAE J1349. I know GM certifies to J1349 which is "net" engine power. I would bet that Ford corrects to J1995 which is "gross" engine power. That would account for a few percent of the difference between the two. I keep hearing people say "GM under-rates their engines" and I think it's just they rate them as net and not gross. I am very interested to see how this Mustang performs. Love them or hate them, you got to hand it to Ford. It took some stones to go for broke like this. Hope that thing stays together...

they're built at the romeo niche plant. they are hand built...and the builder even signs it i understand.

i don't know which standard they rate this engine to though. when you say gm rates "net" , is that net at the flywheel, or at the tires?
Old 04-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #34
Blueclyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ltcap View Post
they're built at the romeo niche plant. they are hand built...and the builder even signs it i understand.

i don't know which standard they rate this engine to though. when you say gm rates "net" , is that net at the flywheel, or at the tires?
That Romeo plant is 6 miles due North of where I live.

GM rates at "Net" power and that is still flywheel power on an engine dyno. To keep it simple let's just say that the power is measured using all of the "ancillary" systems it would have on it when installed in the vehcile. This would include air intake syetm (air filter box and piping), FEAD and the exhaust system, including the resultant restrictions. Many manufacturers rate "Gross" power which usually does not include any of those systems/restruictions. Net power is always less than Gross power for a given engine, and it could be as much as 5% less. This is a general description and I'm not sure what the acutal gross numbers for the LSA in the ZL1 but I know GM rates at Net and certifies this with an outside party. GM ratings show the power available with the driver's butt in the seat.

Not sure what Ford does but I would bet it is Gross power.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:35 PM   #35
Bob Cosby

Drives: 2010 Vette
Nobody does "gross" HP anymore. Most (if not all) converted some 40 years ago.

The 2013's 5.8 is SAE certified at 662 net HP.

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/26/2...30-pound-feet/
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #36
1ltcap
Banned

Quote:

GM rates at "Net" power and that is still flywheel power on an engine dyno. To keep it simple let's just say that the power is measured using all of the "ancillary" systems it would have on it when installed in the vehcile. This would include air intake syetm (air filter box and piping), FEAD and the exhaust system, including the resultant restrictions. Many manufacturers rate "Gross" power which usually does not include any of those systems/restruictions. Net power is always less than Gross power for a given engine, and it could be as much as 5% less. This is a general description and I'm not sure what the acutal gross numbers for the LSA in the ZL1 but I know GM rates at Net and certifies this with an outside party. GM ratings show the power available with the driver's butt in the seat.

i know the difference between net and gross. but i've seen some people refer to rear wheel hp as net, and others as you described above.

i don't think ford's rating this engine at gross, as i thinnk that no one uses that anymore.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #37
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Quote:

The GT500 was tested with all the accessories on the engine.

And a net hp does not give you the power available with the driver's butt in the seat. A chassis dyno rating would be needed for that.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #38
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
The new motor is to J1349 and so was the 5.4.

Also as of 2005 if a manufacturer claims to be SAE certified is has to use a third party.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #39
Blueclyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
The GT500 was tested with all the accessories on the engine.

And a net hp does not give you the power available with the driver's butt in the seat. A chassis dyno rating would be needed for that.
Net HP gives you everything but driveline losses.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #40
Blueclyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cosby View Post
Nobody does "gross" HP anymore. Most (if not all) converted some 40 years ago.

The 2013's 5.8 is SAE certified at 662 net HP.

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/26/2...30-pound-feet/
SAE what? SAE alone doesn't tell much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
The new motor is to J1349 and so was the 5.4.

Also as of 2005 if a manufacturer claims to be SAE certified is has to use a third party.
OK, I hadn't seen that referenced anywhere.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #41
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Quote:
Net HP gives you everything but driveline losses.
your butt in the seat gives you everything + driveline loss.

It really doesn't make a **** what the power is at the flywheel. The power to the ground is what is really important.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #42
Bob Cosby

Drives: 2010 Vette
Quote:
SAE what? SAE alone doesn't tell much.
Ok then. Nevermind, and have a great day!
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote