The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-30-2014, 08:06 PM   #1
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
and this is why I don't tailgate..

I always leave 4-5 seconds between me and the vehicle in front of me. regardless of traffic, fast flowing or stop and go.

and this is why:

driving home from work tonight I was a good 5 seconds behind the pickup in front of me who had a big load of chain link fence and his tailgate down, the idiot behind me was on my ass speed was 65+

truck in front of me had a large section of chain link fence and a post fall off the back of his truck, I was far enough back that I was able to react fast enough to veer right onto the shoulder to avoid it..

A$$hat behind me was so close to me that when I veered right she ran smack into the fallen debris and basically totaled her car.. She is very lucky she wasn't killed.. Had she been tailgating that truck like she was me she would have been impaled with that post..

Don't Tailgate..

Last edited by Mr. iNCREDIBLE; 06-30-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #2
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
it's literally a hazzard to leave the house with as many idiots as there are out there.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:02 PM   #3
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
I had something similar happen years ago, after it happened and everyone was ok, I was laughing my azz off!
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:02 PM   #4
Sapphire

Drives: 2013 2SS Hot Wheels Edition
that's exactly why I don't ride anyone's tail. anything could happen. they brake hard, something falls off the car or truck. I just don't trust anyone on the road and like to leave a nice space just incase I have to take evasive actions.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:31 PM   #5
Zig Zag

Drives: 2014 1LT
Don't tailgate - good advice!
I learned that lesson sliding sideways in the rain @60+ mph on my bike when the Corvette in front of me slammed on the brakes.
Zig Zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:35 AM   #6
Smoke 'em
There's always a faster 1

Drives: (-,-)
I was working in a shop a few years back and we had some down time so I was just kind of watching the cars go by and I saw a ladder flip backwards and fly right through someone's front windshield. No one got hurt but needless to say, I don't ride behind anyone period that has anything in the back of their truck that would have the possibility of flying out. Unless I tied it down myself. I also refuse to ride beside an 18 wheeler if I can help it. I was driving down the freeway a while back and there was an 18 wheeler with half of a double wide on it and he kept switching lanes on a 3 lane hwy for no apparent reason. He was finally riding in the right 2 lanes for a while so I decided to go ahead and try to move on ahead away from it with everyone else because he had traffic slowed to about 50 in a 65. As I was moving forward I made it about a 3rd of the way up and next thing I know he swerved over towards me. I got as close to the wall as I could and locked it up but the corner of the trailer caught me and ripped down the side of my car from about the side mirror to the rear quarter panel just above the back tire. I got lucky that I did not get hung up on the trailer. The car was still drivable but there was too much traffic for me to catch up to him and he took an exit to a different part of the freeway so I just drove on to work and called my insurance. He probably didn't even know he did it or maybe he did but just didn't care. Either way I do my best to not get stuck in those types of situations. Sorry for the long posts all of the time. I guess I just get bored sitting around the house. Seems like all I really do is go to therapy and come back home. I did have a nice little trip to Austin last week though.
Smoke 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:02 PM   #7
slakjak1215

Drives: 2014 1LS
I was in my camaro at a light to turn left. Two lanes turn left, the next two next to me go straight. Lady in a car was grilling me, no clue why. She was in the straight lane right next to me. When i say grilling me, I mean staring at me the whole time looking so pissed off....I did nothing lol. Didnt take her eyes off me...so my light turns green, I start rolling about to let the clutch in and I notice her going as well....she guns it (Still looking at me) and smashes the car in front of her. I couldn't help but laugh...I think she wanted to race...not sure, i mean she was in a civic...Long story short....don't tailgate :P yeah i know had nothing to do with tailgating lol
slakjak1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:52 PM   #8
danvillekidd
2013 ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 m6
Several years ago, back home in Indiana, I was following a pickup on my motorcycle on a two lane road. The truck had an unsecured wheelbarrow in it. I just kept watching that thing move around in the bed. Just as we got to a passing zone, I pulled out to pass, and you guessed it, the wheelbarrow came flying out. As I went by, I told him he had lost it.
danvillekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:17 AM   #9
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
I sold my Harley last summer because I was so tired of coming home and just being happy I made it home alive. The enjoyment of the open road was gone. The number of Distracted drivers now days is Crazy. At least in my car I have a chance of living if some Butthead does hit me :( The Motorcycle rider doesn't have a chance now days. Just this last week we had 5 killed due to drivers not seeing them or cutting them off. :(
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:32 AM   #10
CruisingSpeed
The Stealth Bumblebee

Drives: Black 2013 2LS
Yeah exactly, a few days ago I was in traffic when an emergency vehicle stopped and made a right turn with lights flashing like a spaceship. You couldn't tell that they had their brake lights on because of their lights. So going 50 I hit the brakes to stop. Well a 18 wheeler behind me got closer and closer. I noticed he was kind of weaving into the oncoming lane obviously to avoid rear ending me! So there I was quickly jerking the wheel and flooring the "Megan" into the shoulder to quickly avoid taking a ride in that ambulance turning in front of me! As I was stopped nose in the grass, the truck comes barreling on the side of me at about 30 mph! The point is truck drivers should NEVER tailgate or ride less than 60 ft from cars in front of them.
CruisingSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:18 AM   #11
pgustavson
Stop writing "vert", ffs!

Drives: 2011 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
I always leave 4-5 seconds between me and the vehicle in front of me. regardless of traffic, fast flowing or stop and go.

and this is why:

driving home from work tonight I was a good 5 seconds behind the pickup in front of me who had a big load of chain link fence and his tailgate down, the idiot behind me was on my ass speed was 65+

truck in front of me had a large section of chain link fence and a post fall off the back of his truck, I was far enough back that I was able to react fast enough to veer right onto the shoulder to avoid it..

A$$hat behind me was so close to me that when I veered right she ran smack into the fallen debris and basically totaled her car.. She is very lucky she wasn't killed.. Had she been tailgating that truck like she was me she would have been impaled with that post..

Don't Tailgate..
You've almost lived my long-standing fantasy of coming across a cinder block in the middle of the lane while driving my truck with a tailgating car behind me. Someday, someday...