Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-13-2023, 07:53 AM   #15
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
Switching to a tubular crash bar will not retain the crash bars function. If I remember correctly, the crash bar is not even structural to the front end (the GT4 car runs without it).

Its sole purpose is to distribute crash forces and prevent an object from penetrating through the radiator support into your engine.

For racing/performance, there would be absolutely a performance gain from the increased frontal area. You will be compromising crash safety though.
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 12:20 PM   #16
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin19 View Post
Here is a picture of the part in question. Anyone have pic of it removed?

This is all i have...
Attached Images

ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 12:23 PM   #17
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post
Switching to a tubular crash bar will not retain the crash bars function. If I remember correctly, the crash bar is not even structural to the front end (the GT4 car runs without it).

Its sole purpose is to distribute crash forces and prevent an object from penetrating through the radiator support into your engine.

For racing/performance, there would be absolutely a performance gain from the increased frontal area. You will be compromising crash safety though.

Thanks for chiming in Zach, I was under the same impression. Not intended for chassis stiffness, only for low speed radiator protection.... obviously, it would take much of a front impact to total these cars... which is why i want to make a custom bar with upper and lower supports... that we you get 100% of the performance and aesthetics of removing it, but still maintain some level of low speed protection.

I'll send some photos of the prototype for team feedback. Stay tuned... planning on starting this weekend
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
Old 09-13-2023, 12:25 PM   #18
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Here are a few photos of a modified Cordes bar... and another car with a crash bar delete but installed a tow hook bracket.
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2023, 11:38 AM   #19
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
OP I’d be interested
There’s a small diameter harness that runs on top of he OE crash bar, I’m trying to remember how much slack is in it. Also there are 2 stubby bars that support the hood latch area
Old 09-21-2023, 01:02 PM   #20
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Hey team, just thought id share my progress thus far...
To recap.

Objective.1 - Remove main HX obstruction for cooling and aesthetic improvements.
Objective.2 - Maintain some level of low speed impact protection and front end rigidity.

Photo.1 - Before photo showing the level of obstruction that the crash bar makes...
Photo.2 - With crash bar removed, you can see how much improvement available, but also how much forethought needs to be made for airflow channeling.
Photo.3 - Fascia off, crash bar exposed.
Photo.4 - My solution (first draft)
Photo.5 - My solution (test fit)
Photo.6 - My solution (test fit)
Photo.7 - My solution with bumper on, showing a draft of the custom air diverters...

Logic; although i would have preferred to make this out of aluminum, for lighter weight and easier fabrication, I opted for .125" wall steel tubing. (might consider thinner wall for next version) I used stacked 1x2 to create a bracket from the match plate to cantilever over to the main vertical support (another 1x2) this enables an easy transition from the angled (approx. 10degree) frame receivers. This also provides great front bearing load resistance due to the doubled tub section being welded together, and more linear surface area to weld too, on the vertical support. This also puts the (4) bolts directly in the center of the tube for crush resistance. From there it is some simple geometry to bring an upper and lower support as close to the fascia as possible using 1" square tube (this was a little tricky to test, but luckily the front fascia comes standard with plenty of hand access haha...) (with a future order I might change this to some one piece tubing) I should have the final version of my custom air deflectors done today... and will upload more photos when its all finished. I applied the primer to the frame last night, as well as a few coats of matte black, will finish the tow hook provision this week, confirm final product weight, and she should be ready to rock and roll!

With that said, let me know your thoughts, and if anyone would be interested in me building one for you? If i could get interest in (10)+, I will build a proper jig, and try to streamline the process to make this more cost effective.

My current best guess is... if I could get an order of (10), that I could sell these as options as follows...

BASE: $650 +/- = Frame (no tow hook provision or air deflectors or painting) This would be ready for you to paint or powder coat...
MIDDLE: $1,250 +/- = Frame + Primer + Tow Hook provision + Air Deflectors. All items are primed and ready for you to paint.
DELUXE: $1,450 +/- = Middle option + Painting all pieces matte or satin black (custom colors add $95.

All options would include instructions and all necessary hardware.
Thoughts on the product, design, and price point so far?
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2023, 05:46 PM   #21
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
It looks clean, I wonder if how much impact would cause the vertical bars to crush the radiator ends it's setting flush against.

Maybe cause more of issue with a minor fender bender, but you definitely opened up the front, no question there.

I can see people wanting this just for appearance too.
Old 09-21-2023, 08:59 PM   #22
CamOnlyJabroni

Drives: 19’ ZL1 A10 / 16’ C7Z M7
I would be interested in purchasing one
CamOnlyJabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 06:57 AM   #23
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
What about the two tubular support bars that attach to the top radiator support, are those needed? Did you happen to weigh the removal parts vs the new parts to note any weight difference? Interesting design so far, I might have went with chrome moly steel might be lighter and stronger but, more costly.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 08:00 AM   #24
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Very clever solution and it looks great.

Weren't you thinking about selling the ZLE? I'm glad you have a new project / distraction! Don't ever sell her
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 11:23 AM   #25
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Thanks for the comments / questions...

SNAKE EYES: I agree, the vertical supports are pretty close, and 1/2" off the upgraded HX, i think it would be about 1.25" away from a stock unit, but then... if you are installing this unit, you really should upgrade the HX at the same time... I like that the vertical support helps frame the HX and creates a focused wind tunnel, I was thinking last night of having a local laser vendor cut the profile to allow the main horizontal supports to pass through the horizontal, providing more crush resistance, and would allow you to pull the vertical another 3/8" +/- away from the HX... but would add cost... let me know if you think this is a good idea.

CAM ONLY: Your on the list, thank you.

SMOKIN: The diagonal supports are super flimsy... nothing lost by removing. Weight photos below... current configuration adds 2.5lbs (.125" wall steel) Could go down to .90 wall, but I am ok with the added weight in trade for more strength. But if everyone would prefer a lighter item, I can make that happen. Let me know.

RAM AIR: Thanks for the kind words... no plans to sell, but I was curious what is was worth, in case i decide to start a new project... this little project is keeping me busy for a while, lets see whats next
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2023, 12:12 PM   #26
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Would chromoly add strength and reduce weight?
Old 09-22-2023, 01:05 PM   #27
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
Would chromoly add strength and reduce weight?

It would indeed... but the cost would go up a noticeable amount... would everyone prefer making this a weight neutral upgrade, even if it cost $200 +/- more?
Old 09-22-2023, 02:00 PM   #28
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL.M6.ZLE View Post
It would indeed... but the cost would go up a noticeable amount... would everyone prefer making this a weight neutral upgrade, even if it cost $200 +/- more?
I'm not sure how accessible the material is, but CMS' roll bars are made from Docol R8. My understanding is it's an alloy that is stronger and lighter than mild steel -- although I'm not sure how it's priced vs. 4130. It could be a happy middle ground for folks if it's less expensive.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote