The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-30-2020, 06:38 AM   #43
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Get a V6 Camry or 2.0T Accord, and BRZ will lose to them.

Having driven an RX-8 before, you can say those cars are fun(it is!), but just don't say they are fast stock.

The beef most people have with the article is that those are not cars that people usually cross-shop with a Camaro, with the possible exception of the 370Z, which some may cross-shop with a V6 Camaro.

Apples and oranges comparisons work if they are self-aware of the nature of the comparison. Throttle House made a video on a Mustang GT vs. Civic Type R comparison that was entertaining to watch, and Kia had an ad that compares the Forte to an Aventador that was also funny. This article clearly isn't, though.

It's not just a "muscle car guy" problem. Go swap one of those cars out with a pony (e.g. " 10 cars We'd Take over the BRZ", and put Camaro in the list), I bet you will see similar reactions.

Most of those are hot hatches and small roadsters. While I like those small roadsters, I wouldn't own one in North America given the number of pick-up trucks on the road and in my personal experience, 90% of them drive like they are compensating for something(company trucks are obviously exceptions). Nope, I don't want to be in a Miata/124 when one of those idiots change lane into me(which almost happened once when I had my RX-8).

Sent from toaster or something
"While I like those small roadsters, I wouldn't own one in North America given the number of pick-up trucks on the road and in my personal experience, 90% of them drive like they are compensating for something(company trucks are obviously exceptions)."

Man, you nailed it with this comment. I too love small cars and roadsters. I was so "picked" on in my last Miata ND, Fiesta ST and even my 2018 GTI, I traded the GTI for a Double Cab Silverado a couple of months ago. What a difference- I am no longer tail gated, cut off or almost run over by SUV's and trucks. It must be a size thing as I don't get this issue nearly as much with the Camaro. I have to keep one performance car in the fleet and the Camaro is it.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:28 AM   #44
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
The fact that those guys are calling a Civic, a Golf, and a WRX 'sports cars' tells you to disregard anything that they say. They are confusing enthusiast's interest with sports car, but they are not the same thing. Look, I owned a '91 CRX Si back in the day, it was even strictly a 2-seater. Was considered an enthusiast car when it was made, but was it really a sports car? Nope. To be clear, my '17 Camaro SS is not a sports car either, it is a sports coupe and muscle/pony car. Yes, it is FAR more capable than a traditional muscle car. But the Corvette is Chevy's sports car.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:42 AM   #45
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
For me nothing less than the 6th gen Camaro SS MT which is my joy ride
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:49 AM   #46
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
I saw a Type-R in the showroom when we bought my better half a Civic Sport hatchback (6spd) a few years ago. If there was no Camaro, the Type-R is the only other car in the market that I would consider. From the list of 10, IMHO there's only 3 cars in that list that might be remotely be considered a sports car. and that's a stretch. Love my 1LE.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:57 AM   #47
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygrl View Post
I saw a Type-R in the showroom when we bought my better half a Civic Sport hatchback (6spd) a few years ago. If there was no Camaro, the Type-R is the only other car in the market that I would consider. From the list of 10, IMHO there's only 3 cars in that list that might be remotely be considered a sports car. and that's a stretch. Love my 1LE.
The Type-R has great bones but Honda just cheapens it or makes it appealing more for 20 year olds with all the body cladding. Batman called, he wants his spoilers back.

And they use Brembos on the front brakes only - the rears are stock Civic!! I don’t care if it doesn’t make that much of a difference when the fronts do most of the braking on any car, it screams cheap and ugly.

And the coffee can farting exhaust tone is overplayed by every ricer. Time to get a more refined exhaust tone Honda.

The Type-R engine and chassis are fantastic. It’s just the car itself is an ugly, annoying super ricer mobile.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:43 AM   #48
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
What are they smokin'? If I didn't know what a muscle car is or was, then perhaps (that would mean that camaro, mustang and challenger would not exist). I would not be seen with any of those cars off of that list.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:56 AM   #49
SirJangle

Drives: 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance
I had a 370Z. I loved that car! It was fast, very nimble, and fun to drive. I also loved the looks of it (back in 2013) and the true 2-seater design. But it doesn't come close to my SS.
SirJangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:12 AM   #50
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevybill View Post
In my opinion, none of the cars listed in the aforementioned article are true sports cars.

All I see in the article are some hot hatches, hairdresser's cars and a convertible nissan.

I do not want to argue with anyone, these are my opinions and your results may vary.

If it's a true sportscar, affordability is not a consideration.
The only car in that list I would consider a sports car is the Miata, that's pretty much IMO a text book definition of a sports car. Small lightweight 2 seater that puts handling/driving experience above everything else
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:32 AM   #51
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
As someone who regularly chases these types of cars around the county in a muscle car, I'd pass on all of them.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:32 AM   #52
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
"While I like those small roadsters, I wouldn't own one in North America given the number of pick-up trucks on the road and in my personal experience, 90% of them drive like they are compensating for something(company trucks are obviously exceptions)."

Man, you nailed it with this comment. I too love small cars and roadsters. I was so "picked" on in my last Miata ND, Fiesta ST and even my 2018 GTI, I traded the GTI for a Double Cab Silverado a couple of months ago. What a difference- I am no longer tail gated, cut off or almost run over by SUV's and trucks. It must be a size thing as I don't get this issue nearly as much with the Camaro. I have to keep one performance car in the fleet and the Camaro is it.
I am a long time muscle car and Corvette guy and owned my fair share of BMW's as well - several M cars. Also had a few Porsche's including a 911.

None of the cars on the list would interest me in any way - maybe the Miata.
I actually tried a Miata for about a year, but it was the previous gen - forget exactly what year but somewhere around a 2013. It was my first convertible. I liked the idea of the car more than the car itself. It's a really nimble tossable car with great balance and excellent feel. Very easy to drive way too fast on a twisty road. But that motor is so underpowered you have to be revving the heck out of it to keep the car in it's sweet spot. And it really only shined on a twisty section of road. I quickly realized I don't drive on that type of road very often - maybe 5% or less. It was terrible on the freeway. Way too cramped for a weekend getaway for two (yes we tried it several times). And the windshield was not tall enough to keep wind from hitting my head, even with the side windows up. Also not enough leg-room for a 6' guy with 32" inseam. I mean - I'm not short and maybe I'd be pretty tall in Japan, but I'm most certainly too tall for that car.

My next convertible was a E93 BMW 328i - a 2007. It was a nice car, and much more usable as a weekend get-away car, but the power just wasn't cutting it for me after awhile. So I started shopping for a E93 335is or M3 instead. And with a $30K budget I noticed that Chevy was blowing out inventory of the 2016 SS convertible - and oh wait - that was an all new 6th gen model with the new LT1 motor? I hadn't been following it. Boom - bought a 1SS with manual trans and no options and that was 4 years ago. Loving it every time I drive it. We have taken weekend trips as far as 4.5 hours away in that car. And it's nearly the handling equal of a Corvette on the twisty roads that I do occasionally run. It's not as sports car-ish as the Miata, more of a GT - but a really really good one. And I love it in convertible format. Don't get me wrong - I would love to have a 1LE variant as well, but I have a pro-touring 2nd gen that is built to be track capable and I am not that into track driving like I used to be. Former NASA CMC racer after years of HPDE and autox.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:31 AM   #53
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post

Well I hope you are that 10%, LOL. I feel like guys with a sports car would be more considerate in a pickup.

But man, I have lost count of how many bad pickup truck drivers I have encountered. Let's not also not forget those "rolling coal" small-you-know-what idiots.

When I visited Japan I really wanted to try a Miata. Didn't work out. As I have mentioned, Europe and Japan are the kind of places where I would own a Miata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygrl View Post
If the Camaro doesn't exist, this is my list:

- Used C7(actually already had one, albeit briefly)
- Buillt/Mustang PP1
- 370Z

Still not looking at a Type R(ice). And some dealers treat it like some kind of treasure and refuse test drives. At the end of the day it's still a Civic. A very nice one, but still a Civic. Doesn't have the same ring as a Camaro.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:55 AM   #54
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
If your a member on this site those cars probably wouldn't appeal to you.

They are not what you would cross shop.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:17 PM   #55
SirJangle

Drives: 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
The only car in that list I would consider a sports car is the Miata, that's pretty much IMO a text book definition of a sports car. Small lightweight 2 seater that puts handling/driving experience above everything else
You pretty much just described the 370Z as well. I've owned one. I actually drove the Miata with the retractable hardtop too. I really liked both cars but went with the 370Z due to the V6 power.
SirJangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 01:18 PM   #56
KJZ28

Drives: 2018 Buick Regal TourX
I would choose a few of those cars over a Muscle Car........IF and a BIG IF, I had a wife and kids to worry about. But I don't, so that's not happening.
SOLD: 2010 2SS/RS L99-A6 K&N CAI, Speed Engineering Long Tube Headers, Stainless Works hi-flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back. Tuned by Corvettes of Westchester. 1/LE rear suspension conversion, Bilstein B6 Stuts/shocks.
KJZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote