Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-12-2019, 11:21 PM   #1
donmeca

Drives: 2013 camaro ss
2013 camaro L99

Magnuson tvs2300 or Whipple 2.9. Which is better for the 5th gen L99? (Better I mean lower IAT's, better drivability, better sound, less issues) First hand knowledge only please. Hp goal min 575 rwhp or 650 crank... Ok I am so on the fence with this one. I was set on the whipple but the more I read about the magnuson reliability, I started to change my mind again. I put around 10-12k miles a year on my camaro when the weather is nice. 40 mile trip (one way) to work, so drivability and dependability are a must. I really like the sound on the maggie OD rear cogs, but have also heard the create a lot of heat.
Been looking at Juiced Motorsports and the price difference for unit, install and tune is only $500.00
I know for me to reach my hp goals I will have to push 10-11 lbs of boost.
(2013 camaro l99; LT, CAI, ZL1 fuel pump, ZL1 fpcm, zr1 3 bar) goal is 575-600 to the wheels.
And one more question I have a diablo intune 3, whenever I do finally pick a s/c do I need to return tune to factory before dropping it off at garage??
Thank you for your advice.
donmeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:00 AM   #2
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
They both have ZERO reliability issues. I've got a Whipple, been on the car for 58K miles with ZERO issues, and I daily drive it.

IAT's are only an issue if you are drag racing or auto-crossing the car a lot. Just normal, everyday driving, with the occasional spirited blast, IATs aren't an issue.

If your goal is to never go past 575-600 RWHP, then go with the Magnuson, hands down. It will generate a lot more torque at that power level than a Whipple will, however, if you have plans to go higher in power levels down the road, the Whipple is the better choice.

As to the Diablo tune question, that is best answered by the shop that you pick to do your work.

-Scott

-Scott

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:16 AM   #3
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by donmeca View Post
Magnuson tvs2300 or Whipple 2.9. Which is better for the 5th gen L99? (Better I mean lower IAT's, better drivability, better sound, less issues) First hand knowledge only please. Hp goal min 575 rwhp or 650 crank... Ok I am so on the fence with this one. I was set on the whipple but the more I read about the magnuson reliability, I started to change my mind again. I put around 10-12k miles a year on my camaro when the weather is nice. 40 mile trip (one way) to work, so drivability and dependability are a must. I really like the sound on the maggie OD rear cogs, but have also heard the create a lot of heat.
Been looking at Juiced Motorsports and the price difference for unit, install and tune is only $500.00
I know for me to reach my hp goals I will have to push 10-11 lbs of boost.
(2013 camaro l99; LT, CAI, ZL1 fuel pump, ZL1 fpcm, zr1 3 bar) goal is 575-600 to the wheels.
And one more question I have a diablo intune 3, whenever I do finally pick a s/c do I need to return tune to factory before dropping it off at garage??
Thank you for your advice.
If your goal is 575 RWHP on an L99 your not going to get there.

This is not a supercharger issue its an L99 issue.

The L99 make 505-515 RWHP on your list of mod regardless of above Supercharger choice

You must add in a a cam package and larger injectors to get there.

If you had and LS3 M6 We have made 560 with the Maggie and 580 with the whipple with your parts list LT, CAI, ZL1 fuel pump, ZL1 fpcm, zr1 3 bar Tr7ix plugs msd wires.

Maggie comes with ZL-1 54 lb injectors No map sensor no plugs, Whipple comes with Deka 63 lb injectors and 3 bar map sensor, NGK Tr7ix plugs.

Tuning with SCT or HPtuners will be more beneficial as there are many tables missing from CMR software needed for your mods and goals.

Feel free to call me with any questions.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:09 AM   #4
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Jannetty is right. The blower kit alone won't get you there alone but with the right supporting mods it shouldn't be an issue. I would think with a set of headers and maybe some E85 or a cam you can get to those power levels.

That being said the intake temps are pretty similar with a slight edge going to the Heartbeat kit. I have to say I'm partial to the Whipple blower whine....something about that twin screw sounds killer to me.

Yes, remove the Diablosport tune from your vehicle. You can always sell that later if you do.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:15 AM   #5
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Thanks Juiced,

I believe he was comparing the standard TVS2300 vs the Whipple?

I didn't see any mention of the Heartbeat.

If he meant the heartbeat I would expect similar numbers to the Whipple still in the low 500s on the L99.

The Standard injectors and his specified fuel system will not support E-85 so that out unless a larger fuel system and injectors is specified.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote