Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 01-06-2023, 04:21 PM   #1
db2022cs

Drives: 2023 2SS 1LE
Borla with NPP vs without NPP sound change

So I haven't even gotten my car yet but it will have the NPP. I don't plan on swapping out the stock exhaust for a while but I am going crazy waiting to pick up my 2ss 1LE. With the NPP I know that through the different driving modes, the valves will muffle some of the sound. With the Borla, there is a NPP version and a Non NPP version. For the NPP version, is there a "stealth" mode that is quiet and is the cost worth it to have that feature? I live in an apartment complex but I never plan on leaving early in the morning. Is the extra cost worth the sound change or is it loud af during startup/cold start no matter what? Thanks.
db2022cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 04:41 PM   #2
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
If you are going to actually use it, there is a noticeable sound difference. I leave mine in track mode. The S-type isn't really loud except on cold starts and when ur on it. Otherwise just idling or cruising it's pretty tame
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 04:46 PM   #3
db2022cs

Drives: 2023 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIROC View Post
If you are going to actually use it, there is a noticeable sound difference. I leave mine in track mode. The S-type isn't really loud except on cold starts and when ur on it. Otherwise just idling or cruising it's pretty tame
MY current car has a valved exhaust and there is a massive difference in sound between fully open and "comfort". I try not to be an ass around residential areas and as soon as the sun goes down. But any areas or time that is not that, I like to hear the noises haha. I will most likely be going for the Boral Atak. Thanks for response.
db2022cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 05:37 PM   #4
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2022cs View Post
MY current car has a valved exhaust and there is a massive difference in sound between fully open and "comfort". I try not to be an ass around residential areas and as soon as the sun goes down. But any areas or time that is not that, I like to hear the noises haha. I will most likely be going for the Boral Atak. Thanks for response.
If you're looking for more sound you might want to check out the Corsa NPP exhaust.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596456

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608453

Last edited by Mark114; 01-07-2023 at 10:47 AM.
Mark114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 10:24 PM   #5
Sephx1

Drives: 18 ZLE, 18 SS1LE, 16 SS, 23 ZL1
‘19 and up cars have a louder exhaust than ‘16-‘18’s do. You might find the difference between the stock and S-type is not great enough to justify the expense. This is from experience owning a 2021 SS 1LE and my son’s 2016 SS that we just put a Borla S-type on last week.

The valves are really nice to have. With either exhaust it will be fairly quiet when the valves are closed. Valves will be open on startup with any system unless you shut them every time before you start it up. At least that’s what others have said, I haven’t tried closing them at startup.
Sephx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 07:37 AM   #6
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
If you're looking for more sound you might want to check out the Corsa NPP exhaust.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596456

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608453
I have the Corsa NPP and it is excellent. Deep, throaty, rumbly. Great sound. Rather loud in track/sport, gets quiet in touring/stealth.
Old 01-12-2023, 09:15 AM   #7
joekd

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS vert
I have the ATAK on my SS, the stealth mode is noticeably quieter then the other modes, just remember you need to change to that before shutting your car off the night before otherwise you will still have the loud start until you can access the menu and change it
Old 01-12-2023, 09:22 AM   #8
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
The best thing about the Corsa NPP is the huge difference between open and closed. Fwiw I had one of the first Corsa NPP exhausts built pre Covid. I am on my 3rd set of mufflers because the valve shafts rattle. If the valves didn't rattle the exhaust would be GOLD..... I will say Corsa's warranty department is among the best I have dealt with. So I will continue to work with them. They said they would do whatever I want to make it right. I might swap out to a set of standard Sport mufflers if the 3rd set of mufflers start to rattle. Corsa claims they fixed the shaft rattle by using graphite bushings.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 09:34 AM   #9
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekd View Post
I have the ATAK on my SS, the stealth mode is noticeably quieter then the other modes, just remember you need to change to that before shutting your car off the night before otherwise you will still have the loud start until you can access the menu and change it
If you forget you can press the Start button without pressing the brake pedal until the car goes into “Run” mode. Then you can switch the exhaust to stealth mode.
Mark114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 09:38 AM   #10
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I have my NPP valves tuned so Touring mode starts with valve closed. That way I can put it in track mode for when I want valves open and when I shut car off in Track it defaults to Touring next start up. This way the car will always start with valves closed. #cheatcodes
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 09:14 PM   #11
Racereddie

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS A10 Coupe
Quote:
So I haven't even gotten my car yet but it will have the NPP. I don't plan on swapping out the stock exhaust for a while but I am going crazy waiting to pick up my 2ss 1LE. With the NPP I know that through the different driving modes, the valves will muffle some of the sound. With the Borla, there is a NPP version and a Non NPP version. For the NPP version, is there a "stealth" mode that is quiet and is the cost worth it to have that feature? I live in an apartment complex but I never plan on leaving early in the morning. Is the extra cost worth the sound change or is it loud af during startup/cold start no matter what? Thanks.
You can tell the sound difference between all the modes but nothing outrageous. It is loud in Track mode but it is a stock muffler. The way the system works, you can select the Drive Mode by the switch or the infotainment screen.

If you select Snow/Ice or Track with the switch, the car will shift back to Tour mode when you shut it off. If you select Sport Mode it will start up in Sport Mode. If you use the infotainment screen you can select Engine sound and tell it to remain in a specific sound mode regardless of the switch selection and it will stay that way on even at start up
Racereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 05:43 AM   #12
ste6000

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
not sure this helps. this is my SS with ATAK and x-pipe from borla. you can hear when the car shifts from using 4 to 8 cyclinders. not exactly the question you are asking but you can hear the volume differences. maybe i can do one later that does between npp modes as well.

2018 Camaro SS - Hyper Metallic Blue
ste6000 is offline   Reply With Quote