Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-30-2023, 02:42 PM   #127
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
@genxer @frank121 I was trying to be charitable to the "save the planet" folks.

I doubt I'll ever buy the EV hype.
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 03:43 PM   #128
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
To be charitable, there's 5C charging cells common now. So a 10 minute 80 percent charge can be made. There's some inefficiency in stuffing a charge. And putting it in a large EV pack that fast would create more cost and weight. Likely from dealing with heat, charging in parallels.

The hype side isn't too far from the Benz/BMW/Audi crowd with ultimate driving machines, that really are just buying a comfortable car, when not buying a plane ticket.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 06:56 PM   #129
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
It would also be nice if the EV folks would pay their fair share of taxes, this has gone unaddressed thus far.
Many states now charge fees to plate an EV for this reason. Likely not equal to a gas tax but it has been considered.

https://www.etags.com/blog/ev-regist...ving-electric/
Old 01-30-2023, 08:18 PM   #130
Casper the friendly G
Account Suspended

Drives: 17' Chevy Kamaro SS 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK121 View Post
"Assuming electricity costs don't go up......

Gas & electric costs might go up in the future."

Electricity cost is going to double if not triple once the coal plants are shut down. This is all about who has investments in the EV productions. Wake up people!

Exactly....its a about them....not the common man or middle class anymore.
Casper the friendly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 09:58 PM   #131
Alan47717

Drives: 2022 1LT RS 2.0t/6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK121 View Post
"Assuming electricity costs don't go up......

Gas & electric costs might go up in the future."

Electricity cost is going to double if not triple once the coal plants are shut down. This is all about who has investments in the EV productions. Wake up people!
They can't shut the coal plants down until (if ever) renewable generating sources can carry the load, even when it's cloudy and still out. Just one of the many fallacies of EV's. The more that are sold, the more coal we'll burn to keep them charged. Joe Manchin's supporters are getting their money's worth.
Alan47717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:26 AM   #132
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
In this article....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...48168efd040ca7

It says....
GM showed its hand a little bit in the announcement. It stated that the sixth-gen small block will "strengthen our industry-leading lineup of full-size pickups and SUVs." That means we'll still be seeing V8-powered behemoths on the road for the foreseeable future. It didn't mention anything about the Corvette, Camaro, or other recipients of the engine, though. Keep in mind the C8 Corvette Stingray still receives a fifth-gen small block, the LT2.
Trucks are on their way out as well. Getting rid of ICE vehicles was the camel's nose under the tent. Coming soon you'll see a push to outlaw trucks because they're 'dangerous to pedestrians.' In fact that push has already begun.

We may have an interim period where there are all EV trucks, but unless things change they're on the chopping block.

Who knew a rock band would see the future so clearly? Rush nailed it with Red Barchetta.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:29 AM   #133
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
Trucks are on their way out as well. Getting rid of ICE vehicles was the camel's nose under the tent. Coming soon you'll see a push to outlaw trucks because they're 'dangerous to pedestrians.' In fact that push has already begun.

We may have an interim period where there are all EV trucks, but unless things change they're on the chopping block.

Who knew a rock band would see the future so clearly? Rush nailed it with Red Barchetta.
Wyzz Kydd, just to be clear. I have nothing against you personally. From time to time you do post information that you are apparently getting from somewhere that is so directly opposed to what the auto industry is tracking to that I feel the need to respond with data that directly contradicts what you just said. I don't reply to your posts just to contradict everything you say, but I think that where I can add value to this newsgroup is through providing information and real data that I have available to me from the industry-leading data source.

So in this case, "Trucks are on their way out as well."

This is what my consulting team delivered just a few days ago to a client. This is just one page out of 160+ pages in the report delivered.

Pickups and SUVs are NOT going away. Combined 78% of volume looking forward. For what its worth, we (Camaro owners) live in the yellow band at the top. That is pictorial representation of why GM is giving Camaro very little love. Compare the yellow band in 2013 to today. It also helps explain why Ford is expanding Mustang to include SUV and Sedan variants. It's the only way to keep the brand name alive. The numbers are ACTUAL 2000 thru 2021, FORECAST 2021 thru 2030.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:44 AM   #134
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Last edited by Wyzz Kydd; 01-31-2023 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-31-2023, 08:03 AM   #135
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

double tap.
Old 01-31-2023, 08:08 AM   #136
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Many states now charge fees to plate an EV for this reason. Likely not equal to a gas tax but it has been considered.

https://www.etags.com/blog/ev-regist...ving-electric/
Yep. I think in IL its like 3 to 500 bucks for EV plate registration
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 08:21 AM   #137
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Yep. I think in IL its like 3 to 500 bucks for EV plate registration
It’s actually quite interesting what some states are doing with EVs. There are several states that offer a large incentive when you buy an EV ($1,500-4,000), but then they Jack up the registration fee. So you get a one-time benefit at the beginning, but then get slammed every year at registration time.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 09:57 AM   #138
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
For what its worth, we (Camaro owners) live in the yellow band at the top. That is pictorial representation of why GM is giving Camaro very little love. Compare the yellow band in 2013 to today. It also helps explain why Ford is expanding Mustang to include SUV and Sedan variants. It's the only way to keep the brand name alive. The numbers are ACTUAL 2000 thru 2021, FORECAST 2021 thru 2030.
What segments took from Coupe+Convertible+Hatchback? Thinking with the reasoning of an enthusiast buying a (Coupe+convertible+hatchback), a Sedan+Wagon would be much preferred to a suv. Maybe the thinning of the yellow line is more of non-enthusiast hatchback buyers going suv's?

Last edited by Hops; 02-01-2023 at 10:19 AM.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 10:20 AM   #139
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
It’s actually quite interesting what some states are doing with EVs. There are several states that offer a large incentive when you buy an EV ($1,500-4,000), but then they Jack up the registration fee. So you get a one-time benefit at the beginning, but then get slammed every year at registration time.
Sure, but they're not paying taxes at the pump yet they use public roads. Buying an EV should not allow you to use roads without helping to pay for them.

Also, I am disgusted by tax incentives on EVs that only the rich can afford to take advantage of, EV's environmental impacts are just as significant as a gas powered car in most cases, the tech and infrastructure is not ready, it's being pushed prematurely and everyone who pays taxes and doesn't own an EV is paying for rich folks to drive Teslas as fashion statements. Then these folks also get to skip paying for the roads?!?! This is absurd and should make reasonable folks angry.

Now, I can see tax incentives for tech that's worth adapting bought by average folks, so cars like the Leaf and Bolt make more sense. But tax incentives on Teslas, Rivians, Hummer EVs, etc. are an abomination imo.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:21 AM   #140
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Sure, but they're not paying taxes at the pump yet they use public roads. Buying an EV should not allow you to use roads without helping to pay for them.

Also, I am disgusted by tax incentives on EVs that only the rich can afford to take advantage of, EV's environmental impacts are just as significant as a gas powered car in most cases, the tech and infrastructure is not ready, it's being pushed prematurely and everyone who pays taxes and doesn't own an EV is paying for rich folks to drive Teslas as fashion statements. Then these folks also get to skip paying for the roads?!?! This is absurd and should make reasonable folks angry.

Now, I can see tax incentives for tech that's worth adapting bought by average folks, so cars like the Leaf and Bolt make more sense. But tax incentives on Teslas, Rivians, Hummer EVs, etc. are an abomination imo.
There are both price limits and income limits on who qualifies for the credits.

Hummer EV doesn't qualify. More expensive Tesla's don't qualify( X, S).

The more affordable Tesla's the 3 and Y do qualify depending on the trim after their massive price cut.

The income limit is $150,000 for single filers, $300,000 for joint, and $225,000 is head of household.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote