Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-13-2023, 05:16 PM   #1
casonm23

Drives: 2016 Camaro LT
Unhappy 2016 Camaro LT Clunk Sound Coming from Passanger Side Front Suspension

Having a clunking sound on the front passenger side when going over bumps. Along with the sound, there was signs that my shock was going out, the ride was rough, the wheel seemed to bounce, etc. Therefore I figured the shock was the issue so I replaced it myself. This did fix some of the stability issues and it somewhat fixed bumps feeling rough all though not completely. However it definitely did not fix the clunking sound aswell as bumps still feeling somewhat harsh (maybe that just in my head because of the sound).

When replacing the shock, I'm decently confident I did a good job making sure everything went back in place correctly, aswell as lining everything up. However, I did notice that there were no (top and bottom) spring insulators aswell as no strut bumper. My mechanic told me that the strut bumper wouldnt cause that noise unless I was hitting really big bumps at high speeds, and online it says that not having spring insulators can cause squeaks and taps, but not necessarily loud clunks.

I definitely am not an expert, this was my first time changing a shock and I did it by watching a YouTube video. I had other service done to the car and asked the mechanic if he could check and see if he could find the problem. He said that he checked the sway bar end links and they seem fine, and he definitely thinks it's coming from the upper part of the suspension. He thinks it's something to do with the strut mount, but I just don't see how the strut mount would make that noise and couldn't find anything online about strut mounts making a clunking noise like that. He also said that clunking noises often occurs when someone doesn't put the strut back together properly, but the sound was there before I replaced the shock. However it could be the reason it sounds worse now.

Any ideas of what the issue could be? I've had two mechanic just take a look under the car too see if its an obvious problem and they didn't find anything which leads me to believe it's either something with the strut mount, or the lack of spring insulators is somehow making a crazy loud clunk. Thanks for any help!
casonm23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 01:44 PM   #2
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
check the tightness of all the bolts in the suspension on both sides of the car including the top strut bolts. Also check the condition of all the bushings including the sway bar. Had problem with a truck and it was a control arm bolt.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 02:55 PM   #3
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Check the stabilizer bar links to see if they are tight. A service bulletin was released years ago about this clunking issue.
Old 01-14-2023, 03:46 PM   #4
Casper the friendly G
Account Suspended

Drives: 17' Chevy Kamaro SS 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by casonm23 View Post
Having a clunking sound on the front passenger side when going over bumps. Along with the sound, there was signs that my shock was going out, the ride was rough, the wheel seemed to bounce, etc. Therefore I figured the shock was the issue so I replaced it myself. This did fix some of the stability issues and it somewhat fixed bumps feeling rough all though not completely. However it definitely did not fix the clunking sound aswell as bumps still feeling somewhat harsh (maybe that just in my head because of the sound).

When replacing the shock, I'm decently confident I did a good job making sure everything went back in place correctly, aswell as lining everything up. However, I did notice that there were no (top and bottom) spring insulators aswell as no strut bumper. My mechanic told me that the strut bumper wouldnt cause that noise unless I was hitting really big bumps at high speeds, and online it says that not having spring insulators can cause squeaks and taps, but not necessarily loud clunks.

I definitely am not an expert, this was my first time changing a shock and I did it by watching a YouTube video. I had other service done to the car and asked the mechanic if he could check and see if he could find the problem. He said that he checked the sway bar end links and they seem fine, and he definitely thinks it's coming from the upper part of the suspension. He thinks it's something to do with the strut mount, but I just don't see how the strut mount would make that noise and couldn't find anything online about strut mounts making a clunking noise like that. He also said that clunking noises often occurs when someone doesn't put the strut back together properly, but the sound was there before I replaced the shock. However it could be the reason it sounds worse now.

Any ideas of what the issue could be? I've had two mechanic just take a look under the car too see if its an obvious problem and they didn't find anything which leads me to believe it's either something with the strut mount, or the lack of spring insulators is somehow making a crazy loud clunk. Thanks for any help!

Do you have Magnaride suspension? When my rear shock went bad it did the same. Rode hard, had a clunk when hitting a bump and Magnaride stopped working. Put it on the rack and the dealer showed me the leak. I took mine to the dealer I bought it from one of the top 10 selling corvette dealers in the country. I have been happy with their customer support so I went back to them. Instead of just replacing the one bad rear shock they advised replacing both sides so I did. Took maybe an hour. Worked perfectly when I got it back. Not sure if the needed to somehow reset the Magnaride in the software or not, I just know all worked.

Last edited by Casper the friendly G; 01-14-2023 at 03:47 PM. Reason: jg
Casper the friendly G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#shock, #springs, #strut, #suspension, #v6