Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-17-2019, 04:42 PM   #1
Kleinarms

Drives: 2013 2SS 6 spdBorla attack, CAI,LTH
Headers and cam

Planning on upgrades to my 2013 2SS. Long tube headers; want Kooks, Might save $ with texas speed. opinions?
Cam: I understand the basics of how things work. There are a few things I am unsure of. First of all I should say she is a daily driver. BUT, I love the aggressive sound of a big cam, and I want a sizable jump in power. As I understand things I need to change at a min. the springs and push rods. Is there a good package out there that has everything I need?
Thanks
Kleinarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:05 PM   #2
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
GPI stage 3 package sounds like it's right up your ally. Mine too incidentally. I'm looking to get mine in before the winters over since I'm mostly driving the blazer for the next few months.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:23 PM   #3
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Good luck with your mods! It sounds like you've got some pretty decent sized plans. First of all, a couple big questions:

- Automatic or manual. If you have an automatic you have more options as you can go with an AFM cam (not recommended by hardly anyone), a VVT cam, or you can do a full LS3 conversion and get a standard LS3 cam. If you have a manual then you're stuck with LS3 cams.
- What are your future modification plans? If you are thinking about forced induction there's some different type of cams depending on your application there, nitrous will have some other options, and if you plan on staying NA then there's a different list of cams there too.
- Back to if you have an automatic. If you have an auto, are you keeping the stock converter or are you budgeting in an aftermarket converter? You can get away with a stock converter on any "stage 1" cam and depending on the manufacturer a "stage 2" cam will allow you to keep the stock converter, but most manufacturers will recommend an aftermarket converter for any stage 3 and all stage 4 cams. If you do a custom grind you can talk to the manufacturer and get the best one for your application as well.

As for your question about if there is a package that will allow you to get springs, puchrods, etc. any of the cam manufacturers can provide you packages and get you a package discount and potentially a little extra based on forum association. They should be able to guide you towards the best setup. Also, if you're having a shop do the work they should be able to help you get everything done "correctly" or at minimum whomever is tuning your car should be able to offer advice on what should go into a cam swap.

As for you header choice, I have Kooks LT's with high flow cats and I couldn't be happier. Mine are ceramic coated as well to keep engine bay temps down and to preserve a good looking header. The forum preferred choices of headers are as follows:
Higher priced: Kooks, ARH, Stainless Works
Mid priced: OBX, Texas Speed, Stainless Power
Budget: Speed Engineering
Why you'd buy each:
Higher priced: Warrantied for life, American made, great tech support, and typically better quality control.
Mid priced: 2 year warranty, Chinese made so less price, decent tech support, high flow cats still an option
Budget: Cheap cost, Chinese made so less expensive, (draw back no warranty, and no high flow cats in a kit as an option)

I hope this helps! Happy modding!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:50 PM   #4
Kleinarms

Thanks
6 speed, Not going to FI. Might do gears 3.91 and maybe other handeling upgrades. The cam and headers with my CAI and borla attak plus of course a dyno tune by a pro will be it for power adding
Old 01-17-2019, 07:35 PM   #5
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleinarms View Post
Thanks
6 speed, Not going to FI. Might do gears 3.91 and maybe other handeling upgrades. The cam and headers with my CAI and borla attak plus of course a dyno tune by a pro will be it for power adding
Nice upgrades! I have a friend with very similar setup to what you’re planning and she is running a BTR stage 2 NA cam and loving it, which is also the cam I’m running. It is a lot of fun! It’s aggressive enough to know you have a cam but not so aggressive that you sacrifice driveability.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:11 PM   #6
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
"Stage 2" anything lol...for a DD or custom is better. Id keep the lift closer to 600-615 for longevity, maybe steel retainers too if youre doing a lot of miles and planning to keep the car a lomg time.

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:20 PM   #7
Kleinarms

How is a Stage 3 as daily driver??? Sacrifice driveability? And I do plan on have this car for a very long time. Got 250k miles out of my '99
Old 01-18-2019, 04:48 PM   #8
Kleinarms

All that being said, if I have my cam installed at shop how many hours labor aprox?
Old 01-18-2019, 09:20 PM   #9
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
From what I've read you want 4.10's in your M6.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:22 PM   #10
Kleinarms

Yeah, I need to research the gears much more. those are a way off. not even sure what stock set up is yet!!
Old 01-18-2019, 10:26 PM   #11

Drives: 2010 Camaro
205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:45 AM   #12
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Keep reading/researching. Educate yourself so YOU can make sound decisions on what you want. Its always great to get others opinions, but you have to put in the work. Don't get caught up in the , "follow the leader," "if its expensive, it has to be the best " syndrome.
Good luck.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:08 PM   #13
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
If you want both a big power gain, and daily decent manners... my suggestion would be a head and cam package. If only gaining big power from the cam, it's going to be a big cam which can become miserable as a daily.

TSP has a nice cnc head/cam package. I'd do the stage 1 cam at 114 LSA, and their cnc heads. I'd also upgrade to a 3 bolt cam, the roll master chain or C5R chain, LS2 doggone dampener, high pressure oil pump.

I'd bet that package would rip real nice, have a great idle sound, and be livable to drive every day. It's not going to chop like crazy like huge duration/110LSA cam, but a stage one cam like the TSP is quite a bump up from the stock cam, and still has the good drivability.

My dad told me about 30 yrs ago... most common mistake in hot rodding is too big a cam. Also.... the engine is an air pump, really good heads make it pump a whole lot more air. The cnc heads will take advantage of that increase in lift in the stage 1 cam. Also, upgrade the rocker trunions to one the best bronze bushing kits.

Could always do the heads later if not in the budget now. But it's nice to get it all in a package.

Or.... you're on the East Coast, go pay a visit to Ted Jannetty at JRE. He has complete packages and a great shop to install and tune.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:46 PM   #14
lionssfan

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleinarms View Post
Thanks
great explanation!
TVS2300, BTR cam PD stage 3, ID1050 injectors, CHE bronze trunnions, 7.400" pushrods,.660" lift platinum springs, Titanium ret, Zl1 fuel pump, Kooks LT headers, High flow cats, Roto Fab CAI, Corsa exh., Mellings oil pump, HD chain, ls2 damper, all synthetic, BMR control arms, zl1 toe link, BMR cradle mounts, W/bottle relocation, air scoop deflector, Hennessy wheels, two piece rotor, morimoto fogs, DRL harness, coilovers, Heads up install, mgw shifter, slps splitter, slp spoiler, zl1 side skirts, painted strips, debadged, tinted, 2018 emblems.

Edit Signature
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote