The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-22-2019, 12:12 PM   #57
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Here design one yourself.

https://visualizer-west.chevrolet.co...US&channel=b2c

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:04 PM   #58
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldilocks01SS View Post
By the 60MPH mark, the Mustang will be 0.6 seconds behind the Corvette. It will be interesting to see.
It will be very interesting to see. I just don't know if switching to the ME layout, 40 extra HP and the DCT will be enough to shave almost a second off of the ET of the C7 Z51.

Also basing on Ford claiming sub 11 for GT500. So assuming GT500 can muster a 10.90 or better, that would mean the C8 needs to be as fast in the 1/4 as the current ZR-1 Corvette.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:07 PM   #59
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
It will be very interesting to see. I just don't know if switching to the ME layout, 40 extra HP and the DCT will be enough to shave almost a second off of the ET of the C7 Z51.

Also basing on Ford claiming sub 11 for GT500. So assuming GT500 can muster a 10.90 or better, that would mean the C8 needs to be as fast in the 1/4 as the current ZR-1 Corvette.
DCT and weight distribution play a big role, that's why my Golf R with DCT can run high 10's all day long and it has much less horsepower than the ZR1 or GT500.
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:44 PM   #60
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldilocks01SS View Post
DCT and weight distribution play a big role, that's why my Golf R with DCT can run high 10's all day long and it has much less horsepower than the ZR1 or GT500.
That is true and why it will be so interesting to see.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:49 PM   #61
SlowShelby

Drives: Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
I was on the Mustang6 site and read where people have cancelled their "order" or place in line.

I can't make you hate anything, that is up to you. But the GT500 will not stomp the C8, where does it say that. I know both manufacturers have 0-60 times and the C8 is faster. So how can a slower car beat a faster car?
I am pretty sure most enthusiasts do not use that as the sole metric to determine the fastest car. Anyone with any common sense will think that the 760hp, front engine car will have more trouble getting out of the hole. Ford has also said this is a 10 second quarter mile car, and not just hero runs. If the C8 was, Chevrolet would say so. It might not as quick to 60, but it will be a much faster car.

The new gt500 has the same power to weight as a c6 ZR1, which have gone low 10s on drag radials only.

Again, it's just math and power to weight. This car will be slower than a c6 z06, which will be the mid-point between a C8 and GT500. The C8 is 7.1lbs/hp. A fifth gen ZL1 has a 7.2. Yet you think it is going to be faster than a car with a 5.5 lbs/hp?

How can the C8 make something "6 years old", when it gets its arse handed to it by a bigger heavier car in the quarter mile and the racetrack?

Last edited by SlowShelby; 07-22-2019 at 08:43 PM.
SlowShelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:12 PM   #62
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowShelby View Post
I am pretty sure most enthusiasts do not use that as the sole metric to determine the fastest car. Anyone with any common sense will think that the 760hp, front engine car will have more trouble getting out of the hole. Ford has also said this is a 10 second quarter mile car, and not just hero runs. If the C8 was, Chevrolet would say so. It might not as quick to 60, but it will be a much faster car.

The new gt500 has the same power to weight as a c6 ZR1, which have gone low 10s on drag radials only.

Again, it's just math and power to weight. This car will be slower than a c6 z06, which will be the mid-point between a C8 and GT500. The C8 is 7.1lbs/hp. A fifth gen ZL1 has a 7.2. Yet you think it is going to be faster than a car with a 5.5 lbs/hp?

How can the C8 make something "6 years old", when it gets its arse handed to it by a bigger heavier car in the quarter mile and the racetrack?
I doubt many people will buy a C8 for drag racing. But even at that, from stoplight to stoplight, it will be a handful for all but a select few cars... none of which start with the word Mustang.

But on a 1/4 mile track... yea, GT500 by several car lengths.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:46 PM   #63
John_C
LSx FTW!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Anyone else notice the headers on the C8?

Looks like it'll be super easy to do a Twin Turbo on these cars!

That said, with the base price just below $60k, I'm pretty sure the loaded 2SS / 1LE and ZL1 / ZL1 1LE guys will probably move over to the Vette.

Only reason to stay in a top tier Camaro now is if you just love the body style or actually need the rear seats.
Kooks Jet Hot Headers
Kooks Full 3in exhaust
Trick Flow GenX 255's
Polished PAC .660's & Ti-retainers
TSP VVT 3.2 cam kit w/DoD Delete
Smith Bro's Trunnion kit
AEM X-Series OBDII Widebands
FIC ID1300x Injectors
GM ZL1 High Output Fuel Pump
DSX Tuning Flex Sensor
DSX Auxiliary Fuel System
Tim King Stage 4 Max Effort CTSV 6L90
DSS 1 piece aluminum driveshaft
JRE 6L80E / 6L90E Dipstick
NGK Iridium IX spark plugs #7 heat range
Mighty Mouse Camaro 5 Wild w/-12an and Billet Black
HP Tuners VCM Suite
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:17 AM   #64
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
Anyone else notice the headers on the C8?

Looks like it'll be super easy to do a Twin Turbo on these cars!

That said, with the base price just below $60k, I'm pretty sure the loaded 2SS / 1LE and ZL1 / ZL1 1LE guys will probably move over to the Vette.

Only reason to stay in a top tier Camaro now is if you just love the body style or actually need the rear seats.
They are nice looking headers. They shine, but it may be just for the pictures.

https://www.lsxmag.com/news/411-on-l...8s-powerhouse/

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:19 AM   #65
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
I'm waiting for actual production C8's to get tested by Car & Driver, R&T, etc. Fist production cars set for January 2020 release.

What about the Toyota SUPRA? Dealers demanding huge ADP's over MSRP. IMHO the Supra is DOA.

Will this take sales away from the GT500? it will. Especially if we can get some car mag test figures out there fairly quickly and those figures are impressive.

Considering the 0-60 times are with the Z-51 package; NPP exhaust, super sticky summer only rubber, electronic limited slip, etc. One has to add that package to the base under $60K, so $64K or $65 K to get those impressive times. Though there are rumors from a few Dealers that base is going to REALLY be under $60K like $58,900. And the Z-51 is thought to be cheaper than the normal $5K too. So those 3 second 0--60 times may only cost a bit over $60K?

Given the 60/40 weight distribution. Super sticky summer only performance tires, ELSD and the DCT..... under 3 seconds DOES seem attainable. It has nearly 500 hp it's all about hooking it up.

What a great time to be a car guy!
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:12 PM   #66
SlowShelby

Drives: Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
I doubt many people will buy a C8 for drag racing. But even at that, from stoplight to stoplight, it will be a handful for all but a select few cars... none of which start with the word Mustang.

But on a 1/4 mile track... yea, GT500 by several car lengths.
I doubt many of GT500 purchasers will be doing so for soley drag racing purposes. I am just advocating the quarter mile as a better metric of performance. Sub 11s quarters at over 130 is a pretty fast car, especially showroom stock.

Again, I like the C8. If the Z06 gets the tt motor with dual injection, I will own one. I just think a lot of people are getting ahead of themselves with the 0-60. I promise engineers have taken them down the quarter mile, yet no mention of times or trap speeds. Looking at the power to weight, while no slouch, you can infer as to why.
SlowShelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #67
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowShelby View Post

According to Ed Piatek, the chief engineer responsible for C7 and C8, the C8 Z51 “out performs the C7 Z06 in every way”. Given that he led development of both cars, I’m pretty certain he knows of what he speaks. So if the C7 Z06 outperforms the C6 Z06, then there is no doubt the C8 Z51 will also out perform it.

I’ll be attending a pre-Woodward Cruise panel discussion this Thursday. The panel is Tim Kuniskis (Hellcat / Demon), Carl Widmann (GT500), and Ed Piatek (C8). Looking forward to this one.`

There is also more to performance than net hp and even hp / wt ratio. The Camaro 5 ZL1 has 580 hp. The Camaro 6 SS has 455. Despite the 125 hp disadvantage, the Camaro 6 SS outperforms the Camaro 5 ZL1 in every way. Even though it has 8.1 lbs / hp.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:59 PM   #68
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
According to Ed Piatek, the chief engineer responsible for C7 and C8, the C8 Z51 “out performs the C7 Z06 in every way”. Given that he led development of both cars, I’m pretty certain he knows of what he speaks. So if the C7 Z06 outperforms the C6 Z06, then there is no doubt the C8 Z51 will also out perform it.

I’ll be attending a pre-Woodward Cruise panel discussion this Thursday. The panel is Tim Kuniskis (Hellcat / Demon), Carl Widmann (GT500), and Ed Piatek (C8). Looking forward to this one.`

There is also more to performance than net hp and even hp / wt ratio. The Camaro 5 ZL1 has 580 hp. The Camaro 6 SS has 455. Despite the 125 hp disadvantage, the Camaro 6 SS outperforms the Camaro 5 ZL1 in every way. Even though it has 8.1 lbs / hp.
I believe.

Mark Reuss said this 11 months before the first gen6 hit the road. It was true. Model levels jumped performance categories. From a “philosophical standpoint” ...Chevy isn’t making incremental improvements.
Quote:
If you like the ZL1 today, you’re going to love the SS tomorrow. Think about that from a philosophical standpoint.

Mark Reuss - Dec 2014

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:20 AM   #69
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I’ll be attending a pre-Woodward Cruise panel discussion this Thursday. The panel is Tim Kuniskis (Hellcat / Demon), Carl Widmann (GT500), and Ed Piatek (C8). Looking forward to this one.
Do you know where/how I can listen or watch this discussion? I really enjoyed the podcast you did with Autoline after Hours btw James, good stuff.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote