The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Old 10-09-2018, 08:16 AM   #155
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Interesting, thanks for sharing Cooper. I wonder what fix will be coming in 2019. Hopefully it truly fixes the issue for everyone. Like many others, I want to keep my Camaro for a long time.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:18 AM   #156
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
I had no idea about this issue when I bought my car last month. Thankfully, I have not had any issues at all. So happy that I dodged that bullet, I hope.
SSShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:28 AM   #157
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui View Post
Interesting, thanks for sharing Cooper. I wonder what fix will be coming in 2019. Hopefully it truly fixes the issue for everyone. Like many others, I want to keep my Camaro for a long time.

NP. It looks like a converter will still be a "part" of the fix, and I imagine nothing other than the long awaited reprogramming will be implemented.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:33 PM   #158
Gunmetalmissle

Drives: 16 ngm ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
Looks like GM admits repeat converter/and or transmission replacement will not provide a long term solution.
Well that settles it. Hopefully the 2019 fix is actually permanent.
Gunmetalmissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:42 PM   #159
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
NP. It looks like a converter will still be a "part" of the fix, and I imagine nothing other than the long awaited reprogramming will be implemented.
If they flash the TCM with less slip and replace converters that sounds like a win win for everybody.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:56 PM   #160
Adrian97c

Drives: Wife's 14' IS 250
At about 15k miles my car had the TC replaced, then about 10 months later, 3x flush, now as I approach my last 6 months of warrenty... the shudder is back!

So brought it to dealer & now they are going to play the “lets see if our tech can replicate it when he drives it” game! I said look up my history, this is the 3rd time I’ve had the issue.

Either way I set appt to drop car off on Tuesday.

1 - So is there a real fix coming soon?
2 -
(a)when my Warrenty runs out, am I stuck paying for new TC/flushes?
(B)will a future perm fix be applied to my car out of warrenty?
Built on • 3/22/16
Adopted • 4/07/16

Sold on 2/05/16:
2014 Camaro SW L99, 2SS, RS, NAV, Inferno Orange Interior:
-Borla ATAK catback
-Range AFM delete
-15% tint all around
-Red LED interior bulbs
-55k white Cree LED fogs
-License plate LED bulb swap
-12" Sub Kit, BA amp swap
-Oracle ghosted LED sidemarkers
Adrian97c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:31 PM   #161
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Al's Answer:

This round of “Ask Al” focuses on the Camaro 8-Speed Automatic Transmission. I want to be clear in that we will only be talking about the Camaro application, not any other GM products in this response. You asked for information on the complaint of Transmission Shudder. We define “shudder” as a shake or vibration during light throttle acceleration, and it usually occurs between 25 and 80 mph (40 and 128 kph) at a Steady State. I hope we have generally categorized the concern properly to what you are experiencing.

We regret that we did experience a number of customer warranty cases in the 2016 Model Year. While the 2016 Model Year was a fairly short one, we did our best to rapidly collect enough data about the fluid to determine a solution. The initial findings showed an issue with the quality of the friction modifier in the fluid collected from customer cars. This is an additive to the transmission fluid to prevent a ‘shudder’ feeling during a torque converter clutch operation. If a car that is experiencing shudder is not serviced early, the torque converter clutch material could become burnished and may require a torque converter replacement. The dealer has a specific service procedure that they will follow to determine the required service for your vehicle. So, if you believe you are experiencing shudder, see your Chevy dealer right away, because the earlier you get it serviced, the better. Please keep in mind, not all 8-Speed Automatic Transmissions exhibit this issue.

So, what is the service procedure? Once we determined the issue was due to the quality of the friction modifier in the fluid, we developed a service procedure to flush and fill the transmission fluid 3 times, which eliminates most of the shudder concerns. This service process may not work for a vehicle with shudder that goes too long without service, in which case it will most likely require a new torque converter. Since we started using Dexron HP transmission fluid in March of 2017 both in production and for service, we believe we have basically eliminated the shudder. When used for service, it only requires a single flush and fill.

To summarize, if you have not experienced the shudder, you probably won’t experience the issue. If you have a 2016 or 2017 (built before March 2017) that is experiencing transmission shudder, you should get it serviced as soon as possible. If you had the ‘triple flush’ and your problem is fixed, great. If not, you will likely need a new torque converter. As always, your first stop with questions is your qualified Chevrolet dealer service station.
Quote:
Looks like GM admits repeat converter/and or transmission replacement will not provide a long term solution.
So, with Cooper’s TSB post from today (10/9/18) fresh in our minds (and the fact that he's called for TCM reprogramming for a long time now), is it safe to say Al’s answer to this question was categorically wrong? If production started in the second half of 2015 and Al’s answer was 4/18, it’s hard to believe GM still didn’t know how to address A8 shuddering complaints nearly 3 years later. Now, I want to be clear: I’m not deep frying Al here, I think it’s safe to say we all appreciate this forum and his feedback. But, the fact is, GM has been completely whiffing on this very major issue for 3 years now. Cooper’s TSB post shows that they’ve admitted to the dealer network that their approach to this issue has been wrong all along, and that they will have a fix in 2019, nearly 4 years from the start of production . Kind of a stunning development, IMO.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:02 PM   #162
Gunmetalmissle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian97c View Post
At about 15k miles my car had the TC replaced, then about 10 months later, 3x flush, now as I approach my last 6 months of warrenty... the shudder is back!

So brought it to dealer & now they are going to play the “lets see if our tech can replicate it when he drives it” game! I said look up my history, this is the 3rd time I’ve had the issue.

Either way I set appt to drop car off on Tuesday.

1 - So is there a real fix coming soon?
2 -
(a)when my Warrenty runs out, am I stuck paying for new TC/flushes?
(B)will a future perm fix be applied to my car out of warrenty?
Good luck getting anything done out of warranty.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:06 PM   #163
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Well what do you think would have happened if back in April Al had come out and said, “Well we know we have a temporary fix that will at least work for a while at a minimum and will probably fix the issue in many cases, but we haven't quite settled on the best permanent solution yet and still need to do some more testing and validation.”

Everyone would have deep fried him!

I’m they’re not doing the Charlie Sierra routine with the bandaid and they’re actually owning up to it.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:06 PM   #164
Gunmetalmissle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Is it safe to say Al’s answer to this question was categorically wrong?
Yes
Old 10-09-2018, 06:08 PM   #165
Gunmetalmissle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Well what do you think would have happened if back in April Al had come out and said, “Well we know we have a temporary fix that will at least work for a while at a minimum and will probably fix the issue in many cases, but we haven't quite settled on the best permanent solution yet and still need to do some more testing and validation.”

Everyone would have deep fried him!

I’m they’re not doing the Charlie Sierra routine with the bandaid and they’re actually owning up to it.
Don’t forget having to admit that your car won’t be covered passed the normal warranty period.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:18 PM   #166
Calvear0

Drives: Currently Looking for 2019 SS
So when does this shudder end when it comes to getting covered under warranty? 36k or 60k miles?
Calvear0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:27 PM   #167
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvear0 View Post
So when does this shudder end when it comes to getting covered under warranty? 36k or 60k miles?
It would fall under the power train warranty, 60k.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:57 PM   #168
Calvear0

Drives: Currently Looking for 2019 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui View Post
It would fall under the power train warranty, 60k.
Thank you
Calvear0 is offline   Reply With Quote