The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-19-2019, 11:06 AM   #15
Cannon Green

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
100% getting a silver one with white interior.
Cannon Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:57 AM   #16
TEST DRyVer

Drives: 17 ZL1 6mt with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1 View Post
This is likely sound advice. Didn't Porsche have some issues when they converted to water cooled engines (Richard Hammond's was one of the bon fires)?
This is fairly accurate and also a bit blown out of proportion. I'm a car guy first, then a Porsche enthusiast and Porsche Ambassador 2nd & 3rd. The last air-cooled Porsche was the 993 in the 911 (98 was the last year) lineup. The first generation water-cooled 996 911 (99-04 for the US market) had a small portion of IMS bearing issues, but on the internet, it was a massive phenomenon! Truth is, if the car was regularly maintained and driven often, the odds of the IMS failure was beyond minimal. To keep this in perspective to the topic, Porsche is German to a fault! They test, re-test, and put the cars through a hell that 98% of owners will never duplicate. You can't compare the anal retentive behavior of Porsche's desire to be perfect to the majority of luxury car brands, exotics, and even supercars. You especially can't compare it to Chevrolet in that aspect. I'm not knocking Chevy, because I believe they're currently building performance cars and trucks that can stand proudly on the world stage with just about anyone.
C'mon, I sold my 1 off 2018 718 Cayman (which my wife and I built to our exact specifications) to buy a used ZL1 6mt. Worst of all, I drive it to work and have metaphorical poo thrown at me from my colleagues and management staff. After I toss them the keys to my ZL1, they come back from the test drive with a completely different attitude and outlook on a "Camaro."
All that said, I believe the number of problems form the first 2 years of the C8 are inevitable... Keep in mind, I'm not the guy that thinks all first model cars are problematic. The new C8 is 100% appealing to me! I have things about it I wish were different, but I can say that about EVERY car on the road, no matter the manufacturer. I definitely like it! I would even venture to say I'm interested, but I'm not interested in buying one immediately, paying probably over sticker (for a mass production sports car), and driving an Aveo or Malibu (if I'm lucky enough to even get a loaner car) while my car spends months in the shop due to recalls, fixes, and Chevy techs learning how to troubleshoot problems they've never even heard of. Going from front to mid-engine is a huge undertaking for any brand that doesn't have the time and experience with one...
One more thing, there were a lot of Porsche guys (colleagues and clients) that were really excited about the new C8 today!

Esthetics: Nardo Grey wrap with original black accents throughout, complete Xpel ceramic coat, Diode Dynamics markers, Smoked GM tail & 3rd brake light, C7 Carbon 1LE style Spoiler in blk, ACS splash guards, blk'd out emblems. Variant Krypton wheels in Gloss black.

Performance: AWE Touring catback exhaust with resonator, Rotofab dry intake, TM throttle body, Kooks 1 7/8 Headers with Green Cats, Advanced Fuel Dynamics Flex Fuel kit with e50 blend and dyno tuned.

Current Family car (for the wifey): 2021 Audi SQ5
TEST DRyVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:09 AM   #17
TEST DRyVer

Drives: 17 ZL1 6mt with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Good Advice - I put a Deposit on a C8 months ago, but I did it to resell my place in line.
It was a good idea, and I'm sure a bit profitable as well. Our time will come for the C8! Meanwhile, if you have to have a new Vette (and are not a fan of pre-owned), in my opinion, the car to get right now is a C7 Grand Sport or Z06!!! There will be a market for these cars, trust me on this... All of the C7's (base Stingrays aside) will hold value for a few years! You can buy them for less than ever, and because of the Corvette die-hard fans, the prices will hold till they get over the big change to mid-engine. It will take them a few years to realize THIS IS a real Vette, and the move to Mid-engine was great all around!

Esthetics: Nardo Grey wrap with original black accents throughout, complete Xpel ceramic coat, Diode Dynamics markers, Smoked GM tail & 3rd brake light, C7 Carbon 1LE style Spoiler in blk, ACS splash guards, blk'd out emblems. Variant Krypton wheels in Gloss black.

Performance: AWE Touring catback exhaust with resonator, Rotofab dry intake, TM throttle body, Kooks 1 7/8 Headers with Green Cats, Advanced Fuel Dynamics Flex Fuel kit with e50 blend and dyno tuned.

Current Family car (for the wifey): 2021 Audi SQ5
TEST DRyVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:49 PM   #18
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
After all the info on the C8...I am definitely getting one.
+1

I think for me however it will be an early 2021 model year since financially ill be in a more comfortable position around this time next year.
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:50 PM   #19
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEST DRyVer View Post
I have a feeling this is wasted time on my part as we all do what we want to, especially when we really have our mind made up, but here goes:
I work for Porsche. The upcoming C8 is a great idea, possibly even overdue. The idea of buying a first generation mid-engine car from a brand that's never made one (please don't give me a history lesson on what GM has done in racing or a car they poorly made 6+ decades ago) is not ideal! I would wait this one out. Pick up something else in the meantime if you have your heart set on a sports car (preferably something pre-owned with really high resale value. Think 2016 Caman GTS or Cayman GT4 for example). Once the bugs have been worked out (I'm guessing 2 years), then jump into your dream C8. This is nothing like C5 going to C6 or C7. This is an entirely new engineering concept for them. There will likely be an extremely high amount of problems before they properly learn how to make a production mid-engine sports car... Just my $.02
I know people have been waiting a long time for them to build this, and they will likely sell several in the first year, but I would be willing to bet $$$ that Chevrolet rushed the process and the reliability for the first year cars will be off the charts...
Bet it won't be a 914 or a 924 though. Lol
That said, when a car such as the 911 is like a VW (SOSDD) I'm sure there has been adequate time to work the bugs out. Nothing new about the LT engine and tremec has a fairly good history so not much can go wrong save for the electronics perhaps.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:28 PM   #20
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEST DRyVer View Post
This is fairly accurate and also a bit blown out of proportion. I'm a car guy first, then a Porsche enthusiast and Porsche Ambassador 2nd & 3rd. The last air-cooled Porsche was the 993 in the 911 (98 was the last year) lineup. The first generation water-cooled 996 911 (99-04 for the US market) had a small portion of IMS bearing issues, but on the internet, it was a massive phenomenon! Truth is, if the car was regularly maintained and driven often, the odds of the IMS failure was beyond minimal. To keep this in perspective to the topic, Porsche is German to a fault! They test, re-test, and put the cars through a hell that 98% of owners will never duplicate. You can't compare the anal retentive behavior of Porsche's desire to be perfect to the majority of luxury car brands, exotics, and even supercars. You especially can't compare it to Chevrolet in that aspect. I'm not knocking Chevy, because I believe they're currently building performance cars and trucks that can stand proudly on the world stage with just about anyone.
C'mon, I sold my 1 off 2018 718 Cayman (which my wife and I built to our exact specifications) to buy a used ZL1 6mt. Worst of all, I drive it to work and have metaphorical poo thrown at me from my colleagues and management staff. After I toss them the keys to my ZL1, they come back from the test drive with a completely different attitude and outlook on a "Camaro."
All that said, I believe the number of problems form the first 2 years of the C8 are inevitable... Keep in mind, I'm not the guy that thinks all first model cars are problematic. The new C8 is 100% appealing to me! I have things about it I wish were different, but I can say that about EVERY car on the road, no matter the manufacturer. I definitely like it! I would even venture to say I'm interested, but I'm not interested in buying one immediately, paying probably over sticker (for a mass production sports car), and driving an Aveo or Malibu (if I'm lucky enough to even get a loaner car) while my car spends months in the shop due to recalls, fixes, and Chevy techs learning how to troubleshoot problems they've never even heard of. Going from front to mid-engine is a huge undertaking for any brand that doesn't have the time and experience with one...
One more thing, there were a lot of Porsche guys (colleagues and clients) that were really excited about the new C8 today!
IMS issues continued well into the 997 generation cars, let's not pretend it stopped in 04. Even some 3.4 Cayman/Boxsters have experienced the scoring associated with this. So this "German to a fault" company tested and retested and put through hell these cars then decided to keep shoving them in the new chassis with an existing issue.
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote