Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-08-2016, 10:43 AM   #1
Jin
4Harambe

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS 6Speed
Stabilitrak and Power Steering "Issues" After Installing the Headers

Recently, I had a pair of Kooks long-tube headers installed. It sounded amazing, and I loved it. I've run into a slight issue though. I'm receiving an error on my display saying that Stabilitrak and power servicing needs servicing. We did disconnect the steering column prior to installing the headers, because there was practically no clearance, and we did it in a garage (not a shop), so we had no hydraulic lift to do it (just a jack and some stands).

I'm not having any issues turning, however I have noticed the following:
  • Reverse camera guides are pointed far left, and are not centered.
  • When I turn the wheel all the way to the left, there is an odd feel, but it's not like a stressed sound or anything, just kind of a slight clicking.
  • I can't put it into Track mode - It will tell me it is in Track mode, but steering is not stiff at all, as it should be in this mode.
  • NNP exhaust seems to not cooperate when switching modes, or even switching engine sound setting on the Chevy MyLink console. It will go into Touring mode 9 times out of 10, or will not switch between open and closed in most cases.

Before I continue, I ask that rude comments be put to a minimum; I'm not incredibly experienced with vehicle maintenance (honestly, I figured installing the headers would be easy, since we did it on my 2013 1SS a while ago). Thank you.

From what I've been told, my steering wheel was most likely, accidentally rotated 360 degrees to the left, which is why my backup camera guides are pointed far left, instead of straight.

Before I do anything stupid, or cause any more possible damage, would I just have disconnect the steering column from the steering wheel and rotate the wheel 360 degrees to the right, then reconnect the steering column?

• C.C. (C2) / Cecile - 2013 Camaro 1SS - RIP 8 Oct 2016
  • Artemis - 2016 Camaro 2SS
Jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:05 AM   #2
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
By steering column, did you remove only the shaft under the hood, or also the interior column and steering wheel?

Could be something wrong with the steering angle sensor and also potentially the airbag coil causing the weird feel.

When disconnecting the steering you have to be careful to keep the wheels aligned. The column to wheel connection also affects the airbag coil. If something is off, the steering angle sensor has to be reprogrammed.

I would recommend taking it to a shop or dealer to be checked out.
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:17 AM   #3
Jin
4Harambe

It was disconnected at the shaft near the rubber boot.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:37 PM   #4
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
Sounds like the steering wheel was turned one way or another and threw the steering angle sensor out of whack perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 12:46 PM   #5
Jin
4Harambe

Yeah, we never disconnected the actual steering wheel from the steering column, just unscrewed from the rubber boot to move the column out of the way to fit the driver-side header. I think from what my friends were saying, the steering wheel may have turned, and when they reconnected it, basically was 360 degrees left.

So essentially, we just have to turn it right... Right? lol

Old 11-08-2016, 01:30 PM   #6
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin View Post
Yeah, we never disconnected the actual steering wheel from the steering column, just unscrewed from the rubber boot to move the column out of the way to fit the driver-side header. I think from what my friends were saying, the steering wheel may have turned, and when they reconnected it, basically was 360 degrees left.

So essentially, we just have to turn it right... Right? lol
If it made one rotation left, then I would say one rotation back right with the shaft disconnected may resolve your issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:30 PM   #7
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
I think you rotated the steering wheel and not the clock spring in the column is off, i know in the 5th gen cars if you changed stirring wheels this can happen with the same problems.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 12:18 AM   #8
Mullet_Machine

Drives: SRT4, 2ss
What ended up fixing your issue?
Mullet_Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:17 PM   #9
Future1LE

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1 1LE
any update? I am having the same scenario.
Future1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:01 PM   #10
GT-ER

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Either disconnect the shaft again rotate your wheel back, or reset the steering angle sensor with a scanner.
GT-ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:24 AM   #11
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Also make sure you have allowed ample clearance between the header and engine harness that runs down the passenger side fender well. Many folks have burned the wiring there after a header install.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote