Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 01-14-2022, 04:53 PM   #1
MoeChawki

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE - 6 Speed
Smile CEL with Cat Delete

Just bought the New Era Performance cat delete kit, (deletes all 4), do I NEED a tune or will I be okay without it for a bit? Also, does anybody know how well it will bolt up to a Borla Catback? Hoping I didn’t waste my money on those two. Thank you!
MoeChawki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:58 PM   #2
JonDaddy82

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Coupe NFG M6
Where'd you find those gems?! The car will function and should line up with the Borla fine, but it won't really run that great until you get a tune.
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:04 PM   #3
MoeChawki

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDaddy82 View Post
Where'd you find those gems?! The car will function and should line up with the Borla fine, but it won't really run that great until you get a tune.
I got them from weaponxmotorsports.com! $675 shipped to my door, and I’m still waiting for the car I ordered to come in lol. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2022, 05:09 PM   #4
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Are you saying that before buying that significant mod (the combined exhaust with cat delete) you did no research on the effect it will have on your very high power forced induction motor?

You must speak to a good shop like Katech, Lingenfelter, etc. If you go WOT or even 3/4 with all that and build significant boost there is a chance you will damage your motor. Even if everything seems to be running well, you may be doing damage to pistons, rings, etc. I'm not sure of this but you can't take chances with AFR in SC and Turbo motors like you can with non-FI.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:15 PM   #5
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeChawki View Post
Just bought the New Era Performance cat delete kit, (deletes all 4), do I NEED a tune or will I be okay without it for a bit? Also, does anybody know how well it will bolt up to a Borla Catback? Hoping I didn’t waste my money on those two. Thank you!
Yes, your car will get an immediate CEL after deleting the cats without a tune to disable it. It could also cause the emission system to log a failure that could cause problems if you live in an area that requires emission testing.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:27 PM   #6
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
You will need a tune. However for the price of the tune you might as well also get some more extensive mods like a Big Gulp and maybe even go ahead and port the blower or get LTs. Do a list of mods now and save yourself money from having to get retuned again and again.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:47 PM   #7
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
Are you saying that before buying that significant mod (the combined exhaust with cat delete) you did no research on the effect it will have on your very high power forced induction motor?

You must speak to a good shop like Katech, Lingenfelter, etc. If you go WOT or even 3/4 with all that and build significant boost there is a chance you will damage your motor. Even if everything seems to be running well, you may be doing damage to pistons, rings, etc. I'm not sure of this but you can't take chances with AFR in SC and Turbo motors like you can with non-FI.
You’re not damaging your engine with a cat delete and catback. Let’s pump the brakes a bit on that one…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
Yes, your car will get an immediate CEL after deleting the cats without a tune to disable it. It could also cause the emission system to log a failure that could cause problems if you live in an area that requires emission testing.
Correct. I’ve said it many times and I’ll repeat it again: you should have your tuner shut the associated codes off *before* you install the parts! Otherwise you’ll get a permanent code that will never go away. Can a tuner shut the CEL off after the fact? Yes, but the permanent codes will stay in the memory forever. If your state starts plugging into your ALDL port at inspection time, it’ll be flagged. Do yourself a favor and get the codes disabled before installing the new parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
You will need a tune. However for the price of the tune you might as well also get some more extensive mods like a Big Gulp and maybe even go ahead and port the blower or get LTs. Do a list of mods now and save yourself money from having to get retuned again and again.
Not a bad idea.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:39 PM   #8
MoeChawki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
You’re not damaging your engine with a cat delete and catback. Let’s pump the brakes a bit on that one…

Correct. I’ve said it many times and I’ll repeat it again: you should have your tuner shut the associated codes off *before* you install the parts! Otherwise you’ll get a permanent code that will never go away. Can a tuner shut the CEL off after the fact? Yes, but the permanent codes will stay in the memory forever. If your state starts plugging into your ALDL port at inspection time, it’ll be flagged. Do yourself a favor and get the codes disabled before installing the new parts.

Not a bad idea.
Got it! Any remote tuners you guys recommend? I have some local guys but it takes a lottt for me to trust someone with a tune. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-14-2022, 06:58 PM   #9
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Ted Jannety of JRE! From what I have heard and read about him, he knows what he’s doing. If I was going to mod my ZL1 I would use Ted!��
Old 01-14-2022, 07:07 PM   #10
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Ted Jannety of JRE! From what I have heard and read about him, he knows what he’s doing. If I was going to mod my ZL1 I would use Ted!��

Ted wont touch a car without cats.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:37 PM   #11
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Oh yeah. You are correct!
Old 01-14-2022, 09:54 PM   #12
Kerry

Drives: 2019 2SS Camaro
just get the big daddies simulator's for the rear o2s that's it.... nothing else needed at all period. and no the car will run great and pick up power been their done that. Experience.
Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:02 PM   #13
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeChawki View Post
Got it! Any remote tuners you guys recommend? I have some local guys but it takes a lottt for me to trust someone with a tune. Thanks in advance!
Just find someone in your neck of the woods.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:05 PM   #14
tomster
RedLine

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
If all you have is a cat delete. Buy HP tuners and the credits and tune it yourself. I'd be happy to help give you some direction. Plus it'll make you better educated, and as you add modifications you can perform your own tunes...
2022 GMC 2500 "Blue"
2022 ZL1 1LE 6spd "Rapid Blue"
2023 ZL1 1LE Auto Rapid Blue (ordered)
tomster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, catalytic converter, cel, check engine light, exhaust