Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 10-31-2021, 12:00 AM   #1
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Chevrolet Camaro 1SS 1LE - All Hero - No Cape // Full Review

Cool review.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wCPh27-88Pw
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 02:10 PM   #2
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
1LE is chasing the PP1/2 Mustang? That's funny!
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:10 PM   #3
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvan View Post
Right, The other way around. I wonder if we’ll ever see SSLE vs Mach1.
Old 11-02-2021, 06:08 AM   #4
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Liked at about 5:30 talking about how comfortable the seats are. Drove mine from Tucson to Brooks, GA, in two days. Sweet baby Jesus...

Knew what I was getting into on that drive, sure, but my other choices just weren't acceptable.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:59 AM   #5
bjbonentte

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro
They are mustang guys reviewing a camaro. Of course they are going to have bias.
bjbonentte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:51 PM   #6
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Thanks for posting! I enjoy watching different people's reactions to the SS 1LE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Right, The other way around. I wonder if we’ll ever see SSLE vs Mach1.
Randy Pobst already did that comparison at Atlanta Motorsports Park:

1:28.6 Mach 1 stock, like new, automatic transmission, traction/stability control off
1:29.0 SS 1LE 42k miles, manual transmission, likely on aftermarket low dust street brake pads and/or original DOT3 brake fluid, questionable track alignment just applied right before the review, apparently didn't actually have traction and/or stability control fully disabled since he noticed intervention

Both on Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires but the Camaro's were a spare set Randy had lying around in the "same size as the Mach 1" but 20" which means 305/30 front and 315/30 rear (too wide for the stock wheels). The Camaro had aftermarket wheels that may have been the appropriate width for those tires but I didn't recognize the wheel design so they are likely cast and heavier than the stock forged wheels, negatively impacting acceleration somewhat. Plus if the tire sizes were actually different than stock, traction/stability control could have been negatively impacted especially for track use.

Lap times are mentioned starting at 16 minutes 14 seconds:

Last edited by cdrptrks; 11-02-2021 at 01:57 PM.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 01:52 PM   #7
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvan View Post
Their pace may be close for a few laps but Ford admits the Mustang GT PP2 is not fully track capable and Road and Track recommends buying the GT350R or SS 1LE instead for track days within their PP2 review. I met a PP2 owner who was cooling his diff with a blower between 20 minute sessions to try to get more laps in before overheating!

"the Mustang was keen to communicate that it needed a break, flashing an axle-temp warning after a handful of laps. Unlike the GT350, the PP2 doesn’t have differential- or transmission-oil coolers to allow for extended track time. Why weren’t they added?"

"In the end, we didn’t want to go that full track capability." said Tom Barnes, Mustang’s vehicle engineering manager.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ck-two-review/

Ford also has a major warranty disclaimer regarding HPDE use:

"Subjecting your vehicle to dedicated road course use even with these proposed precautions may render repairs non-reimbursable under the warranty."

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...gEnabled=False

On the other hand, Camaro chief engineer Al Oppenheiser is on record saying that the Camaro SS & SS 1LE are covered under the warranty for HPDE use if they are not modified:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...o-ss-grenaded/

Last edited by cdrptrks; 11-02-2021 at 02:12 PM.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:00 PM   #8
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
Thanks for posting! I enjoy watching different people's reactions to the SS 1LE.

1:28.6 Mach 1 stock, like new, automatic transmission, traction/stability control off
1:29.0 SS 1LE 42k miles, manual transmission, likely on aftermarket low dust street brake pads and/or original DOT3 brake fluid, questionable track alignment just applied right before the review, apparently didn't actually have traction and/or stability control fully disabled since he noticed intervention

Both on Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires but the Camaro's were a spare set Randy had lying around in the "same size as the Mach 1" but 20" which means 305/30 front and 315/30 rear (too wide for the stock wheels). The Camaro had aftermarket wheels that may have been the appropriate width for those tires but I didn't recognize the wheel design so they are likely cast and heavier than the stock forged wheels, negatively impacting acceleration somewhat. Plus if the tire sizes were actually different than stock, traction/stability control could have been negatively impacted especially for track use.

I remember that one, thanks for the post. If I remember correctly the Camaros brakes were jacked up though.
Old 11-07-2021, 08:16 AM   #9
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Talking

Here we all know that the real adversaries of the Camaro SS1LE would be the Shelby GT350 & R, and the newer Mach l. The PP1 & PP2 aren't rivals because of their rear axle overheating and its poor shifter design
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 11-07-2021 at 08:29 AM.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:27 AM   #10
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post

Yes I was surprised, I considered it a very bad review choice by Randy, he loves 1LEs and owns one, I don't understand why he didn't brought to the fight a stock SS1LE that was newer, not that sample with the wrong tires sizes, bad brakes and bad alignment. That H2H was a waste of time and not valid.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:35 AM   #11
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
Yes I was surprised, I considered it a very bad review choice by Randy, he loves 1LEs and owns one, I don't understand why he didn't brought to the fight a stock SS1LE that was newer, not that sample with the wrong tires sizes, bad brakes and bad alignment. That H2H was a waste of time and not valid.
Probably because he did the review independent of the magazine. Therefore had to have someone donate their 1lE and this is what he could find on short notice. Ford isn't (apparently) letting magazines test the Mach 1 in a HTH (or at least against the 1LE), so when his friend offered one for testing he had to jump on the opportunity, and find a 1LE on short notice.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 09:29 PM   #12
BruceWayne1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE M6
Didn’t the newer Mach 1 just run Nurburgring at 7:50~…. It’s not even remotely close to the Gen5 Z28…
Old 11-07-2021, 09:32 PM   #13
BruceWayne1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE M6
7:58……
Old 11-08-2021, 07:38 AM   #14
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWayne1LE View Post
7:58……
Yeah, that's not great at all. I ran a BTG time of 7:52 in a '17 BMW M2 6MT. My optimal time was 7:47 as projected by Garmin Catalyst based on my actual best times in each sector. That means: 8:12-8:17 complete lap time.

7:58 is not very impressive with a professional driver behind the wheel. Here is the actual lap the Mach 1 did. Strange thing is he had the exact same top speed at the end of the big straightaway as my 365hp M2, 162mph. I was expecting more from a 480hp car. This model didn't have the performance aero pack though, and on the Ring that would make a big difference.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 11-08-2021 at 08:46 AM.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote