Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-11-2021, 11:50 AM   #1
Kashmir

Drives: Camaro SS
Move up from SS1LE to ZL1?

I’ve had a 2019 SS1LE since January. I love this car, and I don’t even race her. But there are some excellent winding back roads I drive her on when I get the chance.
Lately I’ve been looking at ‘22 ZL1s online and am thinking about trading in and moving up. I can’t think of any good reason other than just because. Like, what am I going to do with 200 more hp other than get arrested?
ZL1s are very unique, I never see them around here. Of course to most people it’s just another Camaro. But I don’t think I’ve ever seen another 1LE variant either.

I’ll probably never take it to a track and certainly not a drag strip. I think it’s just the idea of having that much power at my disposal. Just something cool about it, knowing your car can do what 98% of the cars on the road can’t. And the ZL1 is such a good performance value (as is my SS 1LE).
If I did this I’d get a non 1LE ZL1. I don’t like the wing on the back.

To those who made the move from SS to ZL1, was it that much more satisfying?
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 11:58 AM   #2
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
I’ve had a 2019 SS1LE since January. I love this car, and I don’t even race her. But there are some excellent winding back roads I drive her on when I get the chance.
Lately I’ve been looking at ‘22 ZL1s online and am thinking about trading in and moving up. I can’t think of any good reason other than just because. Like, what am I going to do with 200 more hp other than get arrested?
ZL1s are very unique, I never see them around here. Of course to most people it’s just another Camaro. But I don’t think I’ve ever seen another 1LE variant either.

I’ll probably never take it to a track and certainly not a drag strip. I think it’s just the idea of having that much power at my disposal. Just something cool about it, knowing your car can do what 98% of the cars on the road can’t. And the ZL1 is such a good performance value (as is my SS 1LE).

I'm thinking of doing the same thing but I track the car. Now that I have some track days under me the extra 200hp would be a nice addition. It's the only reason I'm considering it (in 2024). I prefer the 1le wheels over the zl1's. I prefer the matte black hood wrap (I'll do the same on a zl1 if I get one). I prefer the rear wing of the 1le as well. But that 200hp....i need some of that on the track.

But back to your reasoning. If you don't track it I just can't see a reason to step up. The SS 1LE is already a badass car on the street, before I took it to the track I never saw a reason to get a zl1. The extra power on the street will probably just get you more arrested But that being said, if you have the money.... Do what makes you happy.
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 11:59 AM   #3
pavlos1

Drives: 2018 red hot zl/1 camaro
kashmir hello from pa. i made the move up from an ss to a zl/1.i had a 2ss/rs 2014 convertible with a 419 stroker.i went to a 2081 zl/1and could not be happier about it.i am also a 65 yr old gear head.good luck with the new ride.
pavlos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 11:59 AM   #4
JKSully

Drives: 22 Camaro 2SS, 20 Subaru Crosstrek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post

Out of curiosity - is your 1LE a 1SS or 2SS? I think the ZL1 has many of the upgrades you get from the 2SS package, so if you're moving from a 1SS to a ZL1 you'll notice a lot more differences than if you're moving from a 2SS. The 1LE package adds the head up display to the 1SS, but the other tech/safety upgrades in the 2SS like the rear view mirror camera come to mind.

2022 | 2SS | M6 | NPP | Summit White | Carbon Flash Wheels | Black Lugs | Red Calipers | Adrenaline Red | Red Knee Pads | Nav |
- 1100 - 8/16/21
- 3000 - 9/21/21 - TPW 10/18/21
- 3400 - 10/1/21
- 3800 - 10/20/21 - built 10/19/21
- 5000 - 11/12/21
- 6000 - 11/13/21
JKSully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 12:00 PM   #5
Staves

Drives: women crazy
LOL. I can't even use 70% performance on the streets from my SS without feeling like I'm going to jail.

Get a ZL1 if
A. Money is ZERO issue-you won't even feel it
B. You can handle going from bad to horrid gas mileage (if you drive spiritedly in anyway).

I personally couldn't fathom spending another $25K to get extra performance for the streets when I already have 455HP. Already owned a 700hp Mustang that I only drove on the streets. A complete waste.
Old 10-11-2021, 12:14 PM   #6
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
LOL. I can't even use 70% performance on the streets from my SS without feeling like I'm going to jail.

Get a ZL1 if
B. You can handle going from bad to horrid gas mileage (if you drive spiritedly in anyway).

I personally couldn't fathom spending another $25K to get extra performance for the streets when I already have 455HP. Already owned a 700hp Mustang that I only drove on the streets. A complete waste.
100% That there is the truth.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 12:19 PM   #7
Kashmir

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSully View Post
Out of curiosity - is your 1LE a 1SS or 2SS? I think the ZL1 has many of the upgrades you get from the 2SS package, so if you're moving from a 1SS to a ZL1 you'll notice a lot more differences than if you're moving from a 2SS. The 1LE package adds the head up display to the 1SS, but the other tech/safety upgrades in the 2SS like the rear view mirror camera come to mind.
It’s a 1SS, and yeah I have thought about those extra features.

MPG is def a factor. I live in the Memphis area and as of a few days ago 93 gas was still holding at just under $3/gallon at Costco. We’re spoiled, I know. But if we see $100+ oil that’s going to start hurting.
I don’t drive my Camaro every day.

I may just wait til ‘24, the last year or maybe by then I can afford a 911 lol
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 12:23 PM   #8
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Go for it if you can afford it. In this section you will get many non-ZL1 owners trying to talk you out of it.

Ask this question in the ZL1 section and you won’t get one prior SS owner who switched to the ZL1 telling you not to do it. You will notice the hp gain even on the street.

Oh I see your post above now. Gas is only going to go up and it seems that may be an issue so no don’t go with a ZL1.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 12:32 PM   #9
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Do it. I did and im more than happy.
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2021, 12:38 PM   #10
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist View Post
Go for it if you can afford it. In this section you will get many non-ZL1 owners trying to talk you out of it.

And tons of ZL1 owners saying......go for it! It's a worthless recommendation unless you can afford it easily. If MPG is a factor as you've stated, you're definitely looking at the wrong car.
Otherwise, you'll be one of many ZL1 owners that list their car on here with 3K miles after 3 years.
Old 10-11-2021, 12:43 PM   #11
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I've stayed at the 2SS level in order to be able to drive the engine hard on the street. Seeing the yellow shift lights in a ZL1 would be trouble. The LT1 is approachable. Cost isn't a factor for me.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 12:44 PM   #12
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Not going to try and talk you into or out of a Z.

I just sold my Z and am moving back to a 1SS. For me, the base 1SS trim and power level fits my needs (I’m not tracking it). The power of the Z was difficult to utilize, other than a carefully planned pull here or there (although, it’s pretty spectacular when you do get the chance). Lots of compliments and attention in the Z, but just a bit too fancy for me. I got almost every penny back because of this crazy market. So, that was a another reason…
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 02:21 PM   #13
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post

Get a ZL1 if

My personal thought is pretty close to yours. I think ZL1 is good if you live in Middle of Nowhere, Buttf**k with long straight highways without cops or if you track the car. Even the latter is a "it depends". On the smaller and tighter tracks, ZL1's advantage will be smaller and harder to justify. On bigger tracks with long straights, now we are talking. ZL1 will also eat through consumables a bit faster, like gas, brakes and tires due to its extra power and weight.

But here is the thing: we all love supercharger whine, don't we? Now that could also be worth the extra penny. I think OP needs to do some test driving and decide for themself.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 02:35 PM   #14
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
I have always said 500hp is about the max for a good street car. And that is kind of pushing it. I did have a high HP GTO and it was a waste on the street but i raced it just about every weekend.
My opinion and the reason I am in a 392 and not a hellcat.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote