Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

Phastek Performance

Old 10-09-2021, 03:07 PM   #1
s2mikey

Drives: Buick, Toyota
Used vs. New 6th gen....

So, I get that lately used car prices are a tad inflated. However, that wont remain that way forever. What Im getting at and wondering is: Are the 2016-2019 MY 6th gen Camaros just as reliable/good as newer ones? I ask because I have been perusing the used market and under 40K mile examples of cars that are the same trim I ordered(V6, 6 speed, 1LT or 2LT, etc) are selling in the $18K to $22K range. Thats about a $10K savings over new.

A few are even certified and have extended warranties on them as a plus. Im still 99% sure Im going to ride it out and go for new but I wanted to at least ask if those prices seem "reasonable" for earlier 6th gens configured about the same as what I ordered. Just in case it all goes to crap and I then have to hunt used.
s2mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 03:29 PM   #2
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
I purchased a 2017 Camaro 2SS for a good price about 6 months ago. It was a GM Certified vehicle. 37K miles in good shape. Has been 100% reliable and I have been enjoying the hell out of it.

I also prefer the front bumper of the 2016-2018's also.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 03:34 PM   #3
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Well it depends. Some of these people acted like complete goons when they bought their Camaro and beat TF outta them from day 1 instead of breaking them in properly. In other cases there are those who tuned them and the car will not have a warrant if you bring it in. So my recommendation is to only buy a CPO car and make absolutely 100% sure in writing that the ECU has not ever been tampered with, tuned, etc. And do not take the salesman, the General Managers, the ASE Certified Tech who worked on it, the owner of the dealership, none of them...do not take their word for it. Because when push comes to shove, trust me, they will deny deny deny that they told you anything and it will be your word against their word and GM will side with them. Make sure that you have a report or something in writing stating that the ECU is unmodified and the car's warranty is still intact. ONLY THEN would I buy it.

Otherwise, just buy a brand new one and have no worries or issues or concerns with it. There is something to be said for the peace of mind that comes with buying a brand new vehicle. That alone might be worth the extra $10K.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 04:03 PM   #4
s2mikey

Thanks for the replies, folks. Yes, $10K isnt a ton of money for 100% peace of mind and I get the whole "goon" thing. Ive owned various used sports cars over the course of my life and made out generally OK. But, no matter what anyone tells you, you dont really know how they drove it, maintained it, etc, etc. I get it.

Just wanted to get a little feedback if I ended up looking at used.
Old 10-09-2021, 06:51 PM   #5
tommcd24

Drives: 2SS M6 NPP Convertible
Seems like used prices have come down a fair amount since the summer peak. Part of that is likely the changing of the seasons, I’d guess used boat prices are also down…

Hang in there, with the factory back up and running a lot of cars are getting build and hopefully that V6 constraint goes away here in a couple of days for you and others that are waiting on that.

Dec. 18: took her home
Dec. 9: arrival at dealer
Nov. 16-29: Toledo, OH (railyard)
Nov. 9: 3800 -> 4300 (for stripes)
Oct. 8: 3400 status TPW 10/25
Oct. 6: 3100 status TPW 10/25
Sept. 9: 3000 status TPW 10/4/2021
Sept. 3: 2000 status (after 5 1/2 months)
Sept. 2: Change Order: 2SS (V6 constraint)
April 12: Reordered as ‘22 3LT RS V6 (March 16:Initial Order ‘21 3LT RS V6)
tommcd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 06:53 PM   #6
Camarokid1996
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2ss/rs TF edition
If you can afford a new one, buy new. As far as a used car, you can tell a properly taken care of vehicle vs a ragged out one just by looking at it. Curb rash, cheap tires, rock chips, dings/scratches/dents are all common with a car that hasn't been cared for. Be patient in your search if you go for used and be prepared to travel for yhe right one. Best of luck
Camarokid1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 06:53 PM   #7
supercab78

Drives: 1931 Ford 1941&1963 Chevy. 2020 LT1
A few thoughts.
1; I doubt anyone would tamper with a v6 ECU, but I could be wrong I guess.
2; The v8's are built to be beat on correct?
3; There is a lot of different opinions on how an engine should be broke in.
supercab78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 07:21 PM   #8
SkySerpent

Drives: 2022 Vivid Orange LT1 M6
There has been very little changes from the 2016-2022. You still have the same engine and transmission. So any used Camaro should be just as reliable as the new ones.

If you find a used V6 that's in good condition. I would say it would be just as reliable as a new one, IF the previous owner took care of it.

I think you should ride it out. I have been waiting since last December for mine. I expect I might see the car this Nov-Dec. This is a Car that is well worth the wait.
SkySerpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 07:45 PM   #9
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
bought my 5th gen RS in 2016 as a CPO car.other than failure of the a/c evaporator last summer(70k miles)which i had to pay for since it was out of warranty it really hasnt cost me anything.if you can find a CPO car that you like its probably a good bet.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 08:12 PM   #10
s2mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommcd24 View Post
Seems like used prices have come down a fair amount since the summer peak. Part of that is likely the changing of the seasons, I’d guess used boat prices are also down…

Hang in there, with the factory back up and running a lot of cars are getting build and hopefully that V6 constraint goes away here in a couple of days for you and others that are waiting on that.
I know - be patient. Just nice to at least get info on the different MY cars but it seems that no huge changes have occurred. Yeah - boats here in NYS are a dime a dozen now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarokid1996 View Post
If you can afford a new one, buy new. As far as a used car, you can tell a properly taken care of vehicle vs a ragged out one just by looking at it. Curb rash, cheap tires, rock chips, dings/scratches/dents are all common with a car that hasn't been cared for. Be patient in your search if you go for used and be prepared to travel for yhe right one. Best of luck
Yes - new is still very much Plan A. I like to hunt around though and get additional info just in case. No question that a bad car should be quite obvious but ultimately unless the paper trail is pristine its hard to really know how well a car was serviced. And you have no idea how the car was driven. Ever notice that just about every used car always says "highway miles"? Sure, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercab78 View Post
A few thoughts.
1) The V6 is surely the least likely to be screwed with. First thing people seem to do with the T4 is start dicking with it. No thanks. Im sure V8's get some upgrades too. The problem is that there is a right and wrong way to do all that and its hard to trust people. Id have a herd time buying a used turbo-charged car.
2) Probably, yes!
3) Thats true too. It would seem that you wouldnt have to go crazy with a modern engine regarding break in. Just dont beat the snot out of it, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySerpent View Post
There has been very little changes from the 2016-2022. You still have the same engine and transmission. So any used Camaro should be just as reliable as the new ones.

If you find a used V6 that's in good condition. I would say it would be just as reliable as a new one, IF the previous owner took care of it.

I think you should ride it out. I have been waiting since last December for mine. I expect I might see the car this Nov-Dec. This is a Car that is well worth the wait.
Wow - last December? What did you order? Not a V6 I hope! Yeah, of all the powerplants the V6 like I said above appears to be the least likely to get messed with. A lower-mileage, one-owner car that has a Chevy certified label is likely a good buy. Or even non-certified if everything checks out.

But yes, still planning on waiting at this stage for a new car. Once I get the initial order actually accepted Ill start to feel a LOT better about going new.
Old 10-09-2021, 11:59 PM   #11
bulldog385128

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I've had my 2016 Camaro 1lt (v6) since it came out in 2016. I've put about 120,000 miles on it with no real issues. The only issues that happened were check engine lights, but only because of the after-market parts I added. Sadly, got rear-ended today driving it.
bulldog385128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 04:18 AM   #12
Chevelle vs Camaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
I would by used. I’d go SS used for same money. If the V6 is your thing i would still but use and spend the 10k to customize it.

Wheels, exhaust, suspension.

Or even look for a V6 1LE.

A new car driven off the lot is used soon as you drive it off the lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chevelle vs Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 04:24 AM   #13
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercab78 View Post
A few thoughts.
1 - Why take the chance? It takes minimal effort to find out for sure. But go ahead and buy one and find out the engine is blown and it was tuned. Let me know what it feels like to lose a good few thousand dollars.

2 - Being built durable is not synonymous with being built to get beat on.

3 - Yea because there's a lot of idiots out there who can't read. The manual states how to break it in. What someone's backyard mechanic or cousin's friend's kid in tech school or some stranger on a forum has to say means nothing. Now if you want something that some lead footed goon beat the piss out of then go for it. But don't cry when your engine is smoking or trans is shuddering at 5700 miles.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 05:05 AM   #14
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
It's somewhat amusing that some people say stay away from any modded car and to only buy one with no mods. Then turn around and start modding a car after they buy it. It is also somewhat hypocritical. Sure you don't know if the build was done right or the car was beat on but, then you turn around and mod it and become what you said you didn't want. Not all modded cars are beat on and some cars are modded by professionals that know what they are doing. You can save a lot of money buying one already modded if it is done properly. JMO
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote