Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 09-06-2021, 08:12 AM   #1
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Help me decide what my next car should be…

So I currently have 3 cars…

2017 Camaro 2SS (pretty satisfied with although not afraid of upgrading to a ZL1 or a C8)

1999 Camaro Z28 (LS3 swapped and cammed. I’m not trading or selling it.)

2015 Toyota Prius C (mini-Prius used for daily commuting and also business purposes, my main issue with this car is its too small and it rarely gets the EPA suggested fuel mileage of 50 MPG. In real world my mileage ranges between 30 and 45 MPG and it seems mostly to do with the weather than my driving.)

The Prius, I haul people and goods around in. It’s not stout at all and I have to becareful in terms of merging into traffic here in TX but it’s decent enough I suppose. I wouldn’t beable to do my business without it, I definitely need it’s fuel mileage and 4 doors. The Hatchback aspect of it is a very welcomed PLUS side but it’s not a MUST, although it really helps when I have to haul stuff.

The positives about my Prius C:

— It handles extremely well. Better than both my SS and my Z28 mainly because it’s so light, it’s barely 2,000 lbs. If it had about 100 more HP it would be quite a fun car to drive.

— It’s compact … I can whip it around anything and fit through just about anything.

— It’s economical … It doesn’t hold much fuel but a tank will last approx 300 - 350 miles and cost at most $20 per fillup. Maintenance such as tires and brakes are a joke in terms of cost to replace compared to my SS.

— It’s reliable … it’s given me the ‘least’ mechanical problems out of all 3 of my cars.

The Negatives about my Prius C:

— It’s very low on power… dangerously low. It has less than 100 HP and out here we have 75 and 85 MPH speed limits where merging into high speed traffic takes a lot of creativity. This is amplified when taking passengers around, you can literally feel the strain this car is experiencing when just doing normal driving.

— It’s small. It can barely fit 3 passengers comfortably. While the hatchback aspect of it is nice, it doesn’t leave very much room in the hatch to take belongings.

— It’s fuel mileage is extremely turbulent. It can vary ALOT, and most of it is due to uncontrollable factors such as weather, humidity, headwind. Even driving economically makes minimal impact. It’s like it will decide if it wants to get Hybrid gas mileage or sh!t gas mileage on its own. Sometimes it barely gets better mileage than my SS, other times it gets into the mid - high 40 MPG range.

— It’s terrible on road trips. I actually still drive my SS on road trips because this car has 0 passing power, climbing steep hills is an impossiblility and you’re pretty much doomed if you get into a bad situation on the highway. That plus despite it getting better fuel mileage than my SS, it still has to stop TWICE as much on the highway because the tank is so small.

The car is mainly an around-town car and it serves its purpose fairly well but I’m coming to a point where it will need more maintenance than just oil changes and tires and I’m not sure if this is a car I want to invest in.

If I were to replace a car it would likely be this car first.

I need a vehicle making atleast 40 MPG, preferably 50ish as it can be driven as much as 300 miles daily.

Hatchback isn’t a must but it’s heavily preferred due to added capacity for storage (and thats pretty important for what I do). Definitely need more power than my Prius C offers.

4 doors is a must because I often haul people around. This is why I can’t use the Camaro’s

Reliability is also a must. I put cars through hell. It needs to beable to stand up to some abuse.

Power, it needs to be stronger than my Prius but doesn’t need to be a sports car in this area.

Handling, it would be so badass if I could find something that handles as well as my Prius C but most cars weigh more than it does so most likely I won’t be getting this.

Storage, this is super important.

So far I’ve been thinking

Toyota Camry Hybrid
Newer Toyota Prius (non C)
Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid
Kia Niro Hybrid
Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
Honda CRV Hybrid

Thoughts?
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:20 AM   #2
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
None of those cars have remotely ever interested me so I couldn't tell you one over the other. Those all seem to me like pure transportation vehicles, so I'd go with whatever one has the best rating and works the best for your situation.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:25 AM   #3
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Toyota Camry Hybrid
Newer Toyota Prius (non C)
Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid
Kia Niro Hybrid
Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
Honda CRV Hybrid

That's quite a unique list of candidates. Sounds like you got only hybrids in mind. Hybrids would not be my first choice, even in your particular scenario. I would also say that it is not a great time to buy at the moment. It may be worth your while waiting a bit for the market to settle. That should give you plenty of time to research some non hybrid models that may meet or exceed your needs.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:59 AM   #4
Yang N’ Bang
17’ Hyper Blue 2SS

Drives: 17’ Camaro 2SS
I’m pretty sure the 6th gen is the most fuel efficient vehicle I have owned, so think I’m gonna pass on the fuel efficient recommendation lol
Yang N’ Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 11:58 AM   #5
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Tesla model 3
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 04:15 PM   #6
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
the wifes honda civic has been pretty impressive,and sportier than it should be.car and driver likes them too.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 04:46 PM   #7
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
I'm salivating over a Lexus ES300h. I must be getting old.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 05:30 PM   #8
Michael-k

Drives: '21 Camaro
I just bought a '14 Equinox (with the V6 -- i.e. LFX). For an SUV, this thing moves! I have no problem entering hiways or passing.
It's the second gen of Equinox (2010 - 17).
Going by your list, I'm guessing that you wouldn't really consider this kind of vehicle. But, I figured I'd mention it.
sold: 2000 Mercury Cougar -- V6, citrus gold, 5-speed, sunroof
Michael-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:25 PM   #9
spireland

Drives: 2017 2SS
If you need an appliance car that’s kind of run the Mach e GT is an interesting choice. Mag ride suspension and tuned by the Ford performance people, could be a fun car.
spireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:29 PM   #10
Byter

Drives: Black 2018 1SS - M6, NPP
I don't see a truck on that list. F-150 Lightening? May be a while though...
Byter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:13 PM   #11
10mm
Account Suspended

Drives: My wife nuts...
none but go with the Camry hybrid

killer mpg and it scoots pretty good
10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 09:22 PM   #12
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Need a sedan. What about the ct5-v-blackwing or the ct4 blackwing?
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 09:59 PM   #13
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
How did you drop 500lbs from the prius weight?

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:10 AM   #14
plus1zero
Don't tread on me

Drives: 23 Sierra X31, Past 2017 Fifty 2SS
Of those? I guess a Rav4 or CRV since they both last forever
plus1zero is offline   Reply With Quote