Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

Phastek Performance

Old 10-10-2021, 06:08 AM   #15
s2mikey

Drives: Buick, Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog385128 View Post
I've had my 2016 Camaro 1lt (v6) since it came out in 2016. I've put about 120,000 miles on it with no real issues. The only issues that happened were check engine lights, but only because of the after-market parts I added. Sadly, got rear-ended today driving it.
Sounds like the car has been good to you. Sorry to hear about getting rear ended though. Hopefully it’s not too bad and can be fixed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle vs Camaro View Post
I would by used. I’d go SS used for same money. If the V6 is your thing i would still but use and spend the 10k to customize it.

Wheels, exhaust, suspension.

Or even look for a V6 1LE.

A new car driven off the lot is used soon as you drive it off the lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh I know, once you leave the parking lot the cars value plummets, lol. But, there is something nice about being in full control of break in, driving style, service intervals and parts/fluids used, etc, etc. right off the bat. All of my toy cars have been used up until now so new has a nice ring to it. That’s being said, if a great deal comes along and my order is still up in the air too far into this process I will consider used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin19 View Post
It's somewhat amusing that some people say stay away from any modded car and to only buy one with no mods. Then turn around and start modding a car after they buy it. It is also somewhat hypocritical. Sure you don't know if the build was done right or the car was beat on but, then you turn around and mod it and become what you said you didn't want. Not all modded cars are beat on and some cars are modded by professionals that know what they are doing. You can save a lot of money buying one already modded if it is done properly. JMO
Yeah modded cars are tough to buy unless it’s just very basic bolt on stuff. Everyone is a "mechanic" or so they think and it’s hard to trust what people have done to a car. Of course, if it’s heavily modded then chances are it didn’t love an easy life either, right? If the work was done right and that can be substantiated by receipts then that’s one thing. Still, I’d rather buy a used car stock or very close to stock to be safe.
s2mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 06:37 AM   #16
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
A GM certified would be a good choice, their warranty is appropriate and even you can acquire an extended warranty. I have bought certified and is a peace of mind.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 09:47 AM   #17
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Depends on the owner. I have a '19 bought new. Now has 13,600. Has been very reliable aside from CarPlay glitches with Amazon Music (never works right). If I sold it, the new owner would be getting a nice car. I've never really abused it. I get on it here and there but nothing crazy. I've never driven my car in track mode, sport and touring.
Old 10-10-2021, 09:51 AM   #18
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
It's somewhat amusing that some people say stay away from any modded car and to only buy one with no mods. Then turn around and start modding a car after they buy it. It is also somewhat hypocritical. Sure you don't know if the build was done right or the car was beat on but, then you turn around and mod it and become what you said you didn't want. Not all modded cars are beat on and some cars are modded by professionals that know what they are doing. You can save a lot of money buying one already modded if it is done properly. JMO
Very true. Bought a heavily modded Mustang GT (supercharged, suspension..etc). Previous owner had receipts and all was installed professionally. The Whipple did need an adjustment as one of the pulleys was making a lot of noise. After that it was fine and no issues. But basically $10K in mods on a car with only 5K miles when I bought it and the price didn't really reflect the mods, so it can be a real score.
Old 10-10-2021, 10:36 AM   #19
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I got a deal back in March 2019 on a used 2017 ZL1 that had only 422 miles and not modded for a good price. I saved about $14,000 buying used and was still a new/used 2 year old ZL1 and have had no issues/problems with it to date. The factory drivetrain warranty will be up though in April 2022 and I didn’t buy a extended warranty.
Old 10-10-2021, 10:59 AM   #20
FloridaBill

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE
From my own personal experience, I would skip the V6 and buy an SS. I started with a V6 and started modding it and then realized it was never going to be enough to satisfy the need for HP. Ended up spending a few grand trying to squeeze every bit out of the V6 that would never live up to the SS. Lost my shirt trading in the V6 as they don’t hold their value at all despite all the money I put into it.

If you want a nice looking grocery getter and you don’t care about performance get the 6, but if you have an itch for a performance car that is superior in every way skip the expensive lesson and get a V8 up front.
FloridaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 12:48 PM   #21
s2mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
A GM certified would be a good choice, their warranty is appropriate and even you can acquire an extended warranty. I have bought certified and is a peace of mind.
Yes - a few are certified and the warranty is legit. Thats worth something for sure, even if you pay a little more for the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
Depends on the owner. I have a '19 bought new. Now has 13,600. Has been very reliable aside from CarPlay glitches with Amazon Music (never works right). If I sold it, the new owner would be getting a nice car. I've never really abused it. I get on it here and there but nothing crazy. I've never driven my car in track mode, sport and touring.
Excellent, thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
I got a deal back in March 2019 on a used 2017 ZL1 that had only 422 miles and not modded for a good price. I saved about $14,000 buying used and was still a new/used 2 year old ZL1 and have had no issues/problems with it to date. The factory drivetrain warranty will be up though in April 2022 and I didn’t buy a extended warranty.
Sounds like you scored pretty good there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBill View Post
From my own personal experience, I would skip the V6 and buy an SS. I started with a V6 and started modding it and then realized it was never going to be enough to satisfy the need for HP. Ended up spending a few grand trying to squeeze every bit out of the V6 that would never live up to the SS. Lost my shirt trading in the V6 as they don’t hold their value at all despite all the money I put into it.

If you want a nice looking grocery getter and you don’t care about performance get the 6, but if you have an itch for a performance car that is superior in every way skip the expensive lesson and get a V8 up front.
Well, I wouldnt use it for groceries, lol. I get the V8 desire but Im more interested the nice styling and overall performance. I doubt I'd mod it much if at all. Just not my thing. Everyone is different. The V6 is a solid performer in every way.

Points taken though.
Old 10-10-2021, 01:55 PM   #22
2004YZFR1

Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
Yes - a few are certified and the warranty is legit. Thats worth something for sure, even if you pay a little more for the car.

Excellent, thanks for the feedback.

Sounds like you scored pretty good there!

Well, I wouldnt use it for groceries, lol. I get the V8 desire but Im more interested the nice styling and overall performance. I doubt I'd mod it much if at all. Just not my thing. Everyone is different. The V6 is a solid performer in every way.

Points taken though.

I would buy a nice used SS or SS 1 LE instead of a new V6. You should try to go drive one with that V8 you won’t be dissatisfied and may change your mind about the V6. Either way good luck.
2004YZFR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 06:42 AM   #23
s2mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004YZFR1 View Post
I would buy a nice used SS or SS 1 LE instead of a new V6. You should try to go drive one with that V8 you won’t be dissatisfied and may change your mind about the V6. Either way good luck.
Thanks - its possible but unlikely I'd find a V8 in my price range with low miles, newer year, etc. Ya never know. Im fine with a V6 though. Its got a solid numbers.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:33 AM   #24
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Not really...

I would buy a modded vehicle if, and ONLY if, I knew the owner personally and knew how the treated and cared for the car. Performance mods open up a lot of potential for abuse and void warranties. It's an increased level of risk of the unknown if you buy one of these vehicles without some sort of backing behind it.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:11 AM   #25
JKSully

Drives: 22 Camaro 2SS, 20 Subaru Crosstrek
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Not really...

I would buy a modded vehicle if, and ONLY if, I knew the owner personally and knew how the treated and cared for the car. Performance mods open up a lot of potential for abuse and void warranties. It's an increased level of risk of the unknown if you buy one of these vehicles without some sort of backing behind it.
I agree with you on this, and with those who said only buy CPO from a GM dealer who can confirm in writing that the ECU has never been tuned. Take the thread below as a cautionary tale:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597108

2022 | 2SS | M6 | NPP | Summit White | Carbon Flash Wheels | Black Lugs | Red Calipers | Adrenaline Red | Red Knee Pads | Nav |
- 1100 - 8/16/21
- 3000 - 9/21/21 - TPW 10/18/21
- 3400 - 10/1/21
- 3800 - 10/20/21 - built 10/19/21
- 5000 - 11/12/21
- 6000 - 11/13/21
JKSully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:36 PM   #26
cthulhucaller

Drives: 2022 1SS Team Joe and Becky
All of my fast cars I have owned, I bought used. I'd made sure to get familiar with what to look for, typical trouble spots, and try and spend a little time with a buddy's similar car, or at least test drive a few cars to get an idea of what a good example should feel like. Some mods are ok, it just depends on what was done, and how. You can get a sense of how well it was done by carefully checking over installs for missing or damaged fasteners, gouges in stuff, or tape/zip ties.
I've never bought a used car with aftermarket forced induction or internal engine work other than one car where I knew the owner well, and knew the car's history.
After 8 or 9 rounds of all this, I haven't gotten a bad one yet.

I am the guy you usually don't want to buy a fast car from, because I hang on to them until they are too much of a pain in the ass for me to keep messing with. People who know me know that if I'm letting go of something, it's not just used, it's used up.

Got a new SS on order with Joe, which will be a first for me. Have bought my wife a few new cars over the years, but no new cars for me. I expect joy, crushing regret for having paid full price, then a return to joy as I use it up. Sorry, not saving anything for the next guy.
cthulhucaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 01:31 PM   #27
Polo08816

Drives: 2014 BMW 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarokid1996 View Post
If you can afford a new one, buy new. As far as a used car, you can tell a properly taken care of vehicle vs a ragged out one just by looking at it. Curb rash, cheap tires, rock chips, dings/scratches/dents are all common with a car that hasn't been cared for. Be patient in your search if you go for used and be prepared to travel for yhe right one. Best of luck
I agree. Some of the prices that the classified section is asking for their 2-3 year old used SS 1LE doesn't make sense for a buyer that's willing to wait 3-9 months to take delivery.

I've seen some examples of the cars anywhere from $3-8k savings over buying brand new at MSRP.

Not worth it in my opinion.

For a 2-3 year old car, I'd like to see anywhere from 30-50% savings over MSRP, otherwise, I'd rather purchase new.
Polo08816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:07 PM   #28
s2mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
I agree. Some of the prices that the classified section is asking for their 2-3 year old used SS 1LE doesn't make sense for a buyer that's willing to wait 3-9 months to take delivery.

I've seen some examples of the cars anywhere from $3-8k savings over buying brand new at MSRP.

Not worth it in my opinion.

For a 2-3 year old car, I'd like to see anywhere from 30-50% savings over MSRP, otherwise, I'd rather purchase new.
Yes - I agree. The used prices are very close to new, too close in most cases. For example, a V6 trimmed out like the one I placed an order for(20" rims, stripes, 6-speed) stickered for about $29,500. Ive seen fairly comparable used ones, like 2016-2019 where the asking price is like $25K to $29K. Its like....guys..... c'mon.
I'd expect a car like that to go for the low $20's. If so - Id certainly consider that as an option. But within a few grand of new? Tough to swallow that!