Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-01-2008, 10:47 AM   #15
ckellyme3

Drives: 1986 IROC 406 stroker
Im going to go with yes. My daughter is just a few days shy of being 6 months old. As an infant and young child my dad used 2 cart me around in his 85 Z28. It was definatly tight although i dont remember my mom and other family members have told me about it haha. but as long as you have 1 kid i think it wouldnt be too much of a hassel. other than the car seat if your actually going somewhere the diaper bag wouldnt be a problem and depending on how big the trunk is for the stroller and pack and play. for 1 it should be good. by the time i get this car my daughter still wont be old enought to sit up front which saddens me but im sure she'll be yelling at me from the back to go faster like i did to my dad haha.
ckellyme3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:51 AM   #16
ckellyme3

Drives: 1986 IROC 406 stroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzebubba View Post
The G8?

I'm absolutely certain that it is a wonderful performer.

But the styling? Meh Is that the new Pontiac Grand Prix? The same W-chassis they've been selling since 1987?

As far as a family car? My wife used to have an Eclipse GT and I used to have an Integra GS-R and a 4th gen Camaro. We both now have 4 doors. With small children, you can use a 2 door BUT getting babies and toddlers in and out of their car seats is SO much easier with another pair of doors in back.

Your back will thank you.

But for a new Camaro? I'll take an occasional kick in the kidneys from a bored 4 year old.
Your right but right now i have a sedan i use to take my kid anywhere due to the roll bar in my IROC. and a good amount of the time i just pick her up out of the carseat which would make it alot easier than trying 2 pick up the whole car seat and fish it through the front seats.
ckellyme3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:05 AM   #17
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxcellent View Post
I am aiming this question primarily at folks who already have kids, (or are soon to) who are considering buying a Camaro.

Do you think the Camaro is a family car? Could you ACTUALLY use the back seat for kids? Could the trunk hold enough kid-stuff to be useful?

I am torn between the Camaro and Pontiac G8, but I think the Camaro is defintely sexier and I'd prefer to own it... but I plan on having a family in the near future so my brain says G8.

Thoughts?

~LSx
I have 3 kids. By the time the Camaro is officially released, my son will be in the Navy- so I'll be down to 2. My other two kids are in their teens-tweens so the Camaro is fine for them.

As for starting a family??? A Camaro used to be the last car you'd want to own. But, with the new Camaro's V6 or four cyl., plus having nice fuel mileage and probably average insurance rates- I don't see why not. Besides, you're going to need something fast to get her to the hospital.

btw, as long as you limit your kids to 2, you'll be fine...
Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:12 AM   #18
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
While I'm seriously hoping the backseat is big enough to fit my two kids (ages 4 & 6) in their booster seats, I'm holding my breath until I can actually get inside a Camaro and see just how much room there is. Thank god my kids are done with rear facing infant car seats, I don't see how those would ever fit in a Camaro.

A quick comparison between my current '97 Chevy C1500 Ext. cab and the Camaro specs pdf are not exactly encouraging. I'm only 5'8" and my kids don't get much room when they are sitting behind me in my truck. According to the specs, they'll lose nearly 5" of legroom in the Camaro. I guess I'll see once it hits the showroom floor whether they'll fit or not.

1997 C1500 Ext. Cab.
Front Headroom (in.) 39.90
Rear Headroom (in.) 37.50
Front Legroom (in.) 41.70
Rear Legroom (in.) 34.80
Front Shoulder Room (in.) 65.40
Rear Shoulder Room (in.) 67.60

2010 Camaro
Front Headroom (in.) 37.4
Rear Headroom (in.) 35.3
Front Legroom (in.) 42.4
Rear Legroom (in.) 29.9
Front Shoulder room (in.) 56.9
Rear Shoulder room (in.) 42.5

While the exterior dimensions of the Camaro indicate that it is a reasonably sized car (exterior width is only 1.3" narrower than my truck but is likely measured across the hips of the Camaro), the interior dimensions say "intimate" to me by comparison (Front shoulder room loses 8.5" and rear shoulder room loses 25").

Back to the waiting game for me....
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:57 AM   #19
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
The only deal breaker for me is if the kids don't fit, betting they will, I'd be surprised if there is less room in the back of a camaro than my RX8. I'll miss the rear doors though.
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #20
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
What everybody else said If you want a family go with the G8, or you could get a Charger, lots of room in both

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:07 PM   #21
Beelzebubba
cheap plastic member

Drives: Mazda6s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design1stCode2nd View Post
The only deal breaker for me is if the kids don't fit, betting they will, I'd be surprised if there is less room in the back of a camaro than my RX8. I'll miss the rear doors though.

The RX8 isn't so bad in the back actually. More room than the Lexus IS series.

'Course if I had an IS-F I wouldn't really worry about the lack of room in the rear. I'll probably feel the same about a Camaro.
Beelzebubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:21 PM   #22
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Rear seat specs are very close to Rustang. Tad more headroom...Tad less legroom, for comparison.
For strapping a baby in the back, no. For a 5 to 12 year old yes. For an adult in the back...Bring your earplugs, you're gonna hear how cramped it is beyond a short drive to the store.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:59 PM   #23
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Rear seat specs are very close to Rustang. Tad more headroom...Tad less legroom, for comparison.
For strapping a baby in the back, no. For a 5 to 12 year old yes. For an adult in the back...Bring your earplugs, you're gonna hear how cramped it is beyond a short drive to the store.
ahhh............ I think if you strap the seat in the middle, should be efficient enough, as long if you don't have anybody else in the back

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:04 PM   #24
Zhawk
Iroc's Love Slave

Drives: 3 Camaros, 1 Vette, a Buick, & a 57
So far both of our kids have no problems in the back seats of any of our Camaros, and that covers 3 generations of Camaros (71, 87, 95).
Although probably pretty soon my son will be too tall for the back seat and my daughter keeps trying to convince me to let her have my Vette when she turns 16.

OK, for a family of car nuts, the Camaro is a family car!
Zhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:38 PM   #25
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
just get a used minivan or sedan for the family

and seriously its just not right for safety purposes to drive children in baby seats in a camaro or mustang...

not right
chevydude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:55 PM   #26
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
I don't think I would ever let children in my Camaro for many reasons. There's not alot of room to get back there. Plus kids want food and drink while they ride in a car, and that is sooo not happening. If they spilt something I'd skin them alive. My most important reason though, is the drive itself. Think about cruising in a Camaro, the way that would feel. That's a very personal experience I would only want to share with the car and maybe one passenger. Listening to the V8 purr mixed with pre-pubescent whine just doesn't do it for me.

Get a G8 GXP, it's going to be a stud.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:04 PM   #27
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
More so than the CORVETTE!
lol I happen to agree with you. since the Corvette is a two seater, but my kids still love going places in the vettes.

Back on track, I dont know about the new Camaro, but my daughter was raised in the back seat of my husbands 95 Camaro. we used it as a daily driver until we started moding it out. But she was only a few months old when we got it.

Of course my 3rd gen Camaro she use to go in rides in all the time, Now we also have a 2nd gen Camaro.

I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z (sold), 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500 Totaled, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT repoed.

Current current list lol 2006 Silverado 2500hd.
Iroczlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:17 PM   #28
shanewittman
G8R H8R

Drives: 96 Camaro
my 4 year old daughter loves riding in the back of my '96 Camaro and she cannot wait til we get the new one. When she gets to the age where riding in the back isn't comfortable, that will be ok. By then, the new Camaro will be paid off and we can buy a "family" car.
shanewittman is offline   Reply With Quote