The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-15-2014, 09:47 PM   #1555
Sapphire

Drives: 2013 2SS Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
Well I think I know the answer since we are being ignored :(
Brian! where are you?
Old 08-17-2014, 10:02 PM   #1556
You Won't
Nothin wrong with dreamin

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
Body Fat is 100% what you eat. That's the key, eat lean, healthy stuff, no processed junk, especially fast food. Carbs are terrible, bread, pasta equals fat. Lean meats, chicken, fish, and beef w/tons of veggies!

Exercise does crank up how much you burn, but the wrong fuel will negate any fat loss. Soda is poison, water is the best fat burner.
I have heard that soda is poison but what about sweet tea. I make a gallon with about 1 and 3/4 cup of sugar but I also sort of dilute that even more. Whatever size cup I use, 1/3 of it is water then the rest is ice and tea. Yeah I'm a little strange but oh well.
You Won't is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:14 AM   #1557
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by You Won't View Post
I have heard that soda is poison but what about sweet tea. I make a gallon with about 1 and 3/4 cup of sugar but I also sort of dilute that even more. Whatever size cup I use, 1/3 of it is water then the rest is ice and tea. Yeah I'm a little strange but oh well.
Sugar will sabotage your efforts. You want to stay far, far away from it.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:36 AM   #1558
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Just to put it in perspective, that is more than half of your daily allowance for calories for the average sized guy, then add in all the sugar naturally found in foods . put aside. The calories, sugar will skyrocket your insulin levels, fat/weight loss will not happen with elevated insulin levels. Even natural sugars found in "healthy" foods such as fruits should be limited if fat loss is a goal.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:42 PM   #1559
You Won't

Thank you all. I really have a lot more to learn than I realized. I understand what is being said about the natural sugars. On another note, besides the tea and sodas, I really don't eat a lot of sweet things either.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:07 AM   #1560
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
Sugar will sabotage your efforts. You want to stay far, far away from it.
Not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
Just to put it in perspective, that is more than half of your daily allowance for calories for the average sized guy, then add in all the sugar naturally found in foods . put aside. The calories, sugar will skyrocket your insulin levels, fat/weight loss will not happen with elevated insulin levels. Even natural sugars found in "healthy" foods such as fruits should be limited if fat loss is a goal.
Calories are based on the individuals metabolic rate. Not some arbitrary number spoon fed to us.
weight loss is based only on the amount of calories you eat. It has absolutely nothing to do with your macro nutrient breakdown. If you eat 2000 calories "cleanly" or 2000 calories from pure sugar the exact same affect will happen to your weight, not body fat percentage, bmi, and overall health though.

I'm currently in my senior year going for a double major in biochemistry and physics. My original plan was to pursue my doctoral degree in protein metabolism, but I have found that physics interests me more so that is what my graduate degree will be in. I am a competitive natural bodybuilder and now the personal training manager at a gym. Nationally certified trainer and nutritionist, but because I realize even with all of that you will more than likely not believe that sugar is not poison I will link videos from Dr. Layne Norton which does have a doctoral degree in nutrition, and if you do not take his word there is nothing I can do to make you think otherwise.

also, I eat sugar throughout my contest preps and get down to sub 5% body fat levels, obviously everyone's ability to process sugars is vastly different. Sugar obviously has not hindered me.
Of course I don't eat 12 doughnuts a day, but I will have me a bowl of frosted flakes almost every morning!
BioLayne Video Log 12 - Clean Eating vs IIFYM (If…: http://youtu.be/G6H2edyPLU8

at 4:40 he specifically talks about sugar, but I highly recommend you watch the whole video with an open mind.
Quote:
Thank you all. I really have a lot more to learn than I realized. I understand what is being said about the natural sugars. On another note, besides the tea and sodas, I really don't eat a lot of sweet things either.
Read my above post.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:41 PM   #1561
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Yeah, except calories from sugar do major damage to the body. When streaming thru your veins it nicks and makes micro cuts that the body immediately tries to repair by creating more cholesterol. All those globs can quickly lead to a heart attack or stroke. Then the strain on all the other organs to process the sugar reeks havoc. Refined sugar is poison.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:56 PM   #1562
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13lstuner View Post
Not true.

Calories are based on the individuals metabolic rate. Not some arbitrary number spoon fed to us.
weight loss is based only on the amount of calories you eat. It has absolutely nothing to do with your macro nutrient breakdown. If you eat 2000 calories "cleanly" or 2000 calories from pure sugar the exact same affect will happen to your weight, not body fat percentage, bmi, and overall health though.

I'm currently in my senior year going for a double major in biochemistry and physics. My original plan was to pursue my doctoral degree in protein metabolism, but I have found that physics interests me more so that is what my graduate degree will be in. I am a competitive natural bodybuilder and now the personal training manager at a gym. Nationally certified trainer and nutritionist, but because I realize even with all of that you will more than likely not believe that sugar is not poison I will link videos from Dr. Layne Norton which does have a doctoral degree in nutrition, and if you do not take his word there is nothing I can do to make you think otherwise.

also, I eat sugar throughout my contest preps and get down to sub 5% body fat levels, obviously everyone's ability to process sugars is vastly different. Sugar obviously has not hindered me.
Of course I don't eat 12 doughnuts a day, but I will have me a bowl of frosted flakes almost every morning!
BioLayne Video Log 12 - Clean Eating vs IIFYM (If…: http://youtu.be/G6H2edyPLU8

at 4:40 he specifically talks about sugar, but I highly recommend you watch the whole video with an open mind.

Read my above post.
This is true but as I mentioned the average man. What is average, again something that's arguable but when talking in general I consider average as per guidelines by organizations such as CDC. Using that the average man requires somewhere around 2600 cals daily, using 1 3/4 cupsof sugar is somewhere around 1500 cals or so. That doesn't leave much room for proper nutrition. When you look at it as you stated cals in vs cals out, also as you stated the effect on fat loss, bmi, health I n general is not even considered so why even bring it up, it's like saying weight reduction in your car will make it faster, well, let's throw it the engine and see how that works for you. When most people say weight loss, they mean fat loss so why confuse them. You use your sugar consumption as an example but that's not a good one for many reasons, first a bowl of frosted flakes is about what 10-15 g sugar that's a drop in the bucket to your caloric needs, I doubt you consume 1500 cal in sugar daily. sugar, especially table sugar which is bad in many ways, I also consume sugar but the type of sugar, the amount and the timing I take into consideration, to say to someone trying to loose fat that sugar is ok is a recipe for disaster . Sure, if you want to loose weight with total neglect to where that weight comes from then don't pay attention to macro's and just go into a caloric deficit, the result will be weight loss via muscle before fat along with less energy and will also result in many health problems, all the nutrients you deprive your body of for needed bodily functions have to come from somewhere so you in turn canibalize your own body
Old 08-20-2014, 12:35 AM   #1563
13lstuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
This is true but as I mentioned the average man. What is average, again something that's arguable but when talking in general I consider average as per guidelines by organizations such as CDC. Using that the average man requires somewhere around 2600 cals daily, using 1 3/4 cupsof sugar is somewhere around 1500 cals or so. That doesn't leave much room for proper nutrition. When you look at it as you stated cals in vs cals out, also as you stated the effect on fat loss, bmi, health I n general is not even considered so why even bring it up, it's like saying weight reduction in your car will make it faster, well, let's throw it the engine and see how that works for you. When most people say weight loss, they mean fat loss so why confuse them. You use your sugar consumption as an example but that's not a good one for many reasons, first a bowl of frosted flakes is about what 10-15 g sugar that's a drop in the bucket to your caloric needs, I doubt you consume 1500 cal in sugar daily. sugar, especially table sugar which is bad in many ways, I also consume sugar but the type of sugar, the amount and the timing I take into consideration, to say to someone trying to loose fat that sugar is ok is a recipe for disaster . Sure, if you want to loose weight with total neglect to where that weight comes from then don't pay attention to macro's and just go into a caloric deficit, the result will be weight loss via muscle before fat along with less energy and will also result in many health problems, all the nutrients you deprive your body of for needed bodily functions have to come from somewhere so you in turn canibalize your own body

While I agree and disagree with some stuff stated, I do see your points. I do eat more than some frosted flakes in sugar during my prep.
I personally do not believe telling someone that is trying to obtain weight loss that it is OK to have some sugar is a bad thing. On the contrary, it will probably make the diet more sustainable for them. I've helped 100s of people through diets that still contained sugar to some degree and they had excellent results.

But I digress. Whatever works for you is good with me I was just trying to make sure factual data was out there for people to take as they would like to.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:00 AM   #1564
You Won't

Thanks again. I didn't mean to get anything started. I know a lot of you are very passionate about what you do and how you go about it. On another note, that 1 gallon of tea lasts me 3 to 5 days.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:25 AM   #1565
13lstuner

Quote:
Thanks again. I didn't mean to get anything started. I know a lot of you are very passionate about what you do and how you go about it. On another note, that 1 gallon of tea lasts me 3 to 5 days.
Nothing got started! Just intellectual debating. I have nothing against CFD and applaud him for his continuation of fitness.
Nothing but respect!
Old 08-20-2014, 06:42 AM   #1566
CFD

Now that we have totally confused "you won't" maybe we should clarify a little. Lol. In short when someone asks about sugar the short answer is stay away. In very few cases would I suggest completely ignoring any foods EXCEPT FOR THOSE MAN HAS F#!=#D WITH. Sugar, like fats are a double edged sword, certain sugars have their role and at times are recomended but there are different types of sugars and some should be avoided for several reasons. Table sugar falls in that category and to some extent fructose and sucrose. Fructose as found in fruits are,when consumed in excess easily turned into fats, sucrose which is a combination of fructose and dextrose is brocken down in the body and the fructose ends up as fat in most cases. Avoiding fruits in itself is not a great idea as they are loaded with vitamins, nutrients and antioxidants. So this is where nutrient timing can be usefull. Here is an example, one of my staple breakfasts is 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 scoop vanilla protein powde,1/2 cup no fat milk, 1 whole egg, 1/2 banana 1/2 cup diced strawberries. In this case the sugars effect on insulin levels is balanced of by the the low glycemic oatmeal,this allows for the body to replenish depleted glucose stores created by overnight fasting, supplies important nutrients, vitamins and antioxidants and some quick energy. Another time sugars are useful and almost essential would be post workout. In this case I personally prefer pure dextrose mixed with a high protein shake, dextrose is used as a delivery agent to restore depleted glycogen and shuffle proteins to the muscles when they are very receptive. Dextrose is one of the most easily processed sugars and is less likely to be stored as fat if not consumed in excess.

On the down side and the main reason sugars should be avoided is that sugar, especially table sugar which is void of any nutritional value, it raises insulin levels rapidly, steady blood sugar is one of the most important factors in FAT LOSS as fat is not used for energy with elevated insulin levels, after the insulin spike comes the sudden drop, the brain snses this and sees it as a signal to replenish and triggers an increase in appetite so in turn you eat again even though you consumed adequate calories, the result is fat gain. Although not yet proven sugar has an addictive effect so you subconsciously crave more and the cycle repeats itself.

This is the tip of the iceberg so in short, stay away from sugar. You will get it naturally in many foods so you will not completely eliminate them even if you give it some effort.

Last edited by CFD; 08-20-2014 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:51 AM   #1567
CFD

Now that everyone has been bored to death this hs been my first week back in the gym after several months of recuperation from injuries, some may know I moved my gym from my house to the second floor at my shop. I now discovered why you don't see gyms on the second floor, two flights of stairs on leg day suck.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:19 AM   #1568
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
If your goal is to lower your body fat and still maintain your approximate weight then sugar has to be dropped from your diet as well as all processed foods. No junk food whatsoever, nobody should be eating that crap in the first place, because it is highly addictive. More scientist work in the food industry than for NASA. How crazy is that, but it shows the goals of the food industry, that is to make food as cheaply, and addictive as possible with the longest possible shelf life.

Ever bake a loaf of bread, its shelf life is just days. Ever buy hotdog/burger buns, they can sit for two or three weeks before they start to go bad. Hmmm, pretty amazing what all those chemicals/ingredients can do, and then you're ganna put that crap in your body!

Eat all the fish, chicken, or lean beef you want, along with all the vegetables you can stuff down, and watch the fat melt away. Fruits slow down the fat loss because that's what sugar does, even natural sugar. So limit yourself to one juicy piece of fruit per day!

Bodybuilders will tell ya that even one piece of fruit is out when it's coming down to the wire for a show. Getting from 10 or 12% to that critical 6% fruit is sabotage to your goal. Of course that's the extreme, but it does prove a point.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote