Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 09-17-2021, 04:12 PM   #1
schoenmaro55

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS 1LE
LT1 Long Term Thoughts

Hello Everyone,

New to the forums here! Just picked up a 2021 2SS 1LE with the 6-Speed Tremec last week. I bought the car used with only 5,300 miles on it. Looks to me as if the original owner hadn't done an oil change yet. I started the car and the gauge said it had 9% oil left, but no check oil light or engine light was on. The dip stick looked low, (but we did not follow the right procedure for reading the dip stick either).

I took it straight to Valvoline and got fresh oil in it before driving it 500+ miles home. The car runs like a tank and the engine sounds perfect and runs perfect at all RPM levels.

I just came from a Coyote Gen 3 V8 in my previous Mustang and while it sounded great... there were definitely quality concerns over in that camp.

I know the LT1 is a popular GM engine and according to what I saw, this engine has been going since 2014? I was wondering if guys could fill me in on your personal experiences with the LT1 and how it has faired for you? Also curious, do you think my engine is compromised for going so long without it's first oil change?

I will always change oil every 3-4k miles now that the car is in my possession. I'm really encouraged by this engine so far and love it.

Thanks for reading and pleasure to meet all of you!
schoenmaro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:17 PM   #2
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
You’ll be fine. 5400miles is nothing on modern oil, even more so if the car was babied.
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:21 PM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
2016 ss 33k been bolt on and tuned since 10k miles no problems

track the car about once a month or so driven way harder on track than on streets
Old 09-17-2021, 05:30 PM   #4
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
LT1 is a fantastic engine. I am extremely impressed with it.

I purchased my 2017 2SS used in March of this year and it is easily one of the best cars I have ever owned.
Spaceme1117 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:48 PM   #5
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoenmaro55 View Post
Hello Everyone,

New to the forums here! Just picked up a 2021 2SS 1LE with the 6-Speed Tremec last week. I bought the car used with only 5,300 miles on it. Looks to me as if the original owner hadn't done an oil change yet. I started the car and the gauge said it had 9% oil left, but no check oil light or engine light was on. The dip stick looked low, (but we did not follow the right procedure for reading the dip stick either).

I took it straight to Valvoline and got fresh oil in it before driving it 500+ miles home. The car runs like a tank and the engine sounds perfect and runs perfect at all RPM levels.

I just came from a Coyote Gen 3 V8 in my previous Mustang and while it sounded great... there were definitely quality concerns over in that camp.

I know the LT1 is a popular GM engine and according to what I saw, this engine has been going since 2014? I was wondering if guys could fill me in on your personal experiences with the LT1 and how it has faired for you? Also curious, do you think my engine is compromised for going so long without it's first oil change?

I will always change oil every 3-4k miles now that the car is in my possession. I'm really encouraged by this engine so far and love it.

Thanks for reading and pleasure to meet all of you!
You'll be fine, just make sure you are using the correct oil (the factory fill is Mobil1 0W-40 ESP Formula Dexos 2).
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:07 PM   #6
Redline_2ss

Drives: 2018 camaro 2ss
Have had the car with BO and e85 since 10k miles on it. Around 30k right now and no issues yet.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:08 PM   #7
schoenmaro55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
You'll be fine, just make sure you are using the correct oil (the factory fill is Mobil1 0W-40 ESP Formula Dexos 2).
Before my trip home to CA, only thing open was Valvoline and I've had good luck with them in the past.

This is the oil they had that was available, "Valvoline 0W-40 Euro Synthetic Oil API SP"

Does that seem okay to you? They also put on the sticker to change it after only 3k miles. Pretty interesting.

Thanks everyone for your feedback so far, I am digging it!
Old 09-17-2021, 07:48 PM   #8
Vaska

Drives: On Hiatus
Quote:
Before my trip home to CA, only thing open was Valvoline and I've had good luck with them in the past.

This is the oil they had that was available, "Valvoline 0W-40 Euro Synthetic Oil API SP"

Does that seem okay to you? They also put on the sticker to change it after only 3k miles. Pretty interesting.

I run 5w-30 Castrol year round, even in -30, without issues. Run the recommended oil if you track.
Vaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:28 PM   #9
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:

You should be fine with it, it is synthetic and the correct weight... I've used nothing but Mobil1 0W-40 ESP Formula but I do all my own oil changes...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:46 PM   #10
LilredHR

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 50th 6MT
I definitely have one of the higher mileage examples at 83k but my 2017 6MT Fifty SS has held up super well. I've been running e85 for the past 15kish miles as well with no issues. only thing that I've had a problem with is making the tires last
LilredHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:13 PM   #11
SnowWhiteSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Had mine for 3 years now. No issues to note. I drive it very very hard sand it gives me 0 back talk. Your motor isn’t compromised btw, do not change the synthetic oil in these things at 3k unless your running E85 or tracking it. You will be wasting your money. They take 9 quarts of oil, takes a while for the oil to go thin. Pretty sure the manual says like 5k or something like that. I usually change mine at around 25% life.

If your really concerned, next time you do an oil change, cut open the oil filter and look for metallic shavings. But I promise you it’s fine.

Good advice though? Buy a oil catch can now, your valves will thank you later. These direct fuel injected motors like to gunk up the valves pretty quick .but that’s a direct injection thing, not a Chevy thing
SnowWhiteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:33 PM   #12
schoenmaro55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhiteSS View Post
Had mine for 3 years now. No issues to note. I drive it very very hard sand it gives me 0 back talk. Your motor isn’t compromised btw, do not change the synthetic oil in these things at 3k unless your running E85 or tracking it. You will be wasting your money. They take 9 quarts of oil, takes a while for the oil to go thin. Pretty sure the manual says like 5k or something like that. I usually change mine at around 25% life.

If your really concerned, next time you do an oil change, cut open the oil filter and look for metallic shavings. But I promise you it’s fine.

Good advice though? Buy a oil catch can now, your valves will thank you later. These direct fuel injected motors like to gunk up the valves pretty quick .but that’s a direct injection thing, not a Chevy thing
What concerns me is when I started the car for the first time ever, it only had 9% oil remaining with 5,300 miles on the odometer Does that mean the original owner probably drove the living hell out of it? Maybe lol.

Could you possibly link me to your favorite oil catch can? You are very correct with the DI and motors gunking up, not just a Chevy thing... it's happened to every make at one time or another because of it.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:33 PM   #13
schoenmaro55

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilredHR View Post
I definitely have one of the higher mileage examples at 83k but my 2017 6MT Fifty SS has held up super well. I've been running e85 for the past 15kish miles as well with no issues. only thing that I've had a problem with is making the tires last
Hahaha! Very impressive, good feedback though from a high mileage 2017!!!
Old 09-17-2021, 09:34 PM   #14
schoenmaro55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
You should be fine with it, it is synthetic and the correct weight... I've used nothing but Mobil1 0W-40 ESP Formula but I do all my own oil changes...
Thank you! How often do you change your oil?