Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-08-2017, 07:22 PM   #15
cryssm

Drives: Car
Huh, very strange. I wish I could be of more help, but that's all I got. Let us know what the dealer says, though!
Old 01-08-2017, 07:36 PM   #16
vet757

Drives: ^^^This
Weird ....mine sounds the same going uphill, I thought it was normal. Please keep us updated if you can.
vet757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:18 PM   #17
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
That noise sounds a lot like what you hear in 4 cylinder mode on an engine without AFM valves. Take a look at your dash (there should be a V4/V6 somewhere on the dash) next time you hear it and see if it is in V4 mode. If it is specific to that mode, then maybe you have something wrong with your AFM valves. On the NPP cars it is electronic, on the the non-NPP cars it is a spring loaded valve. Either one could fail open and cause a sound like that.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:51 PM   #18
Tanvir_sarwar

Drives: 2017 Camaro RS V6
Its definitely not a sound that only occurs at 4 cylinder mode. As a matter of fact most of the time its on 6 cylinder mode.

I dropped off the car yesterday at the dealership. And I swear on my way there I went over a nice pot hole and noticed the sound getting worse and worse from then on. The groan getting louder, and more "bassy", if that makes any sense.

The shop foreman was/is very nice. My dealership is City Buick, if anyone in the Toronto, Canada area is wondering. I asked him to make sure he drives on the highway, as he would drive a normal vehicle (not like a maniac in a Camaro that most people would tend to do if test driving the car), and he'll hear the groan loud and clear. Its quite unpleasant and annoying at this point.

Got a loaner in the meantime. Chevy Traverse, and as soon as I started driving it, it became abundantly clear how much ugly noise my Camaro was making. Hopefully the dealership figures it out, and sooner rather than later.
Tanvir_sarwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:10 PM   #19
Tanvir_sarwar

Hi guys - I`ve got some updates, which happen to be some bad news as well.

The dealership contacted me, and a random person told me that my vehicle is ready to be picked up. I questioned what work was done on it and the reply was, and I quote, "Oh repair was done, however the noise you are complaining about is still there. It is normal". Right away I smelled bull$hit. Why would you do a repair, if its normal? And can't even tell me exactly what the repair is?

I didn't argue with the guy, but told him that I do not believe it to be normal. And was promptly told, oh I am not a technician so I cannot help you any further.

Sigh.....anyway I proceeded to contact the shop foreman (who has been very helpful and understanding, and continued to be in all honesty) and told him that I have been asked to take the vehicle back since there is nothing wrong with it. And the sound persists. He asked me to be patient, as he was going to reach out to the service manager. Which he did, and the two drove my Camaro and also concluded it was normal. Their reasoning was, that they drove a second Camaro that did the same thing. Their conclusion was that "Due to the enhanced fuel consumption improvements that have been made on this vehicle, the transmission naturally attempts to reduce engine speed while driving. This results in a labouring type engine resonance which can be easily interpreted as a grind or growl. Rest assured that the noise, although dissatisfying will not cause any powertrain longevity issues."

This is when I became really frustrated, because little did they know I expected them to tell me that. So a few days before I also drove a second Camaro with similar specs (was a 2016 2LT V6, while mine is 2017 1LT V6 - both non npp) and WAS NOT able to reproduce the grinding engine sound. Moreover, when I test drove the vehicle before purchasing it, it did not make this noise. When I first took delivery of the vehicle, initially it did not make this noise. It does not only happen at low speeds, matter of fact it is worse on the highway. And lastly, the issue has gotten progressive worse since I first discovered it (much louder now). So unless GM has built a vehicle that is supposed to make a grinding engine noise, not initially but after being driven for a few days, and get louder over a few weeks, then I cannot agree with the logic that this is "normal". After explaining all of this, it was suggested I contact GM customer service which may help me get things moving faster. I will do so, but I also do not know what good that it will do. This forum seems to think GM Canada customer service is utter garbage.

I contacted my sales agent and told him everything. And explained that I may take it to another dealership for a second opinion, or look for alternate steps that I can take to remedy my situation. But I will not continue to drive a brand new vehicle that is not operating as it is supposed to.

I am looking at Ontario's Consumer Protection Policies, because if it is a lemon then I don't want it. And if its a problem the dealership has no idea how to fix, and is asking me to "live with it" then what other options do I have aside from taking legal actions?

So yeah.....that is my situation currently. Hope you guys have better luck with your Camaro.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:07 PM   #20
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Find a lemon law attorney.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:22 AM   #21
Guthdawg

Drives: 2017 SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanvir_sarwar View Post
Hi guys - I`ve got some updates, which happen to be some bad news as well.

The dealership contacted me, and a random person told me that my vehicle is ready to be picked up. I questioned what work was done on it and the reply was, and I quote, "Oh repair was done, however the noise you are complaining about is still there. It is normal". Right away I smelled bull$hit. Why would you do a repair, if its normal? And can't even tell me exactly what the repair is?

I didn't argue with the guy, but told him that I do not believe it to be normal. And was promptly told, oh I am not a technician so I cannot help you any further.

Sigh.....anyway I proceeded to contact the shop foreman (who has been very helpful and understanding, and continued to be in all honesty) and told him that I have been asked to take the vehicle back since there is nothing wrong with it. And the sound persists. He asked me to be patient, as he was going to reach out to the service manager. Which he did, and the two drove my Camaro and also concluded it was normal. Their reasoning was, that they drove a second Camaro that did the same thing. Their conclusion was that "Due to the enhanced fuel consumption improvements that have been made on this vehicle, the transmission naturally attempts to reduce engine speed while driving. This results in a labouring type engine resonance which can be easily interpreted as a grind or growl. Rest assured that the noise, although dissatisfying will not cause any powertrain longevity issues."

This is when I became really frustrated, because little did they know I expected them to tell me that. So a few days before I also drove a second Camaro with similar specs (was a 2016 2LT V6, while mine is 2017 1LT V6 - both non npp) and WAS NOT able to reproduce the grinding engine sound. Moreover, when I test drove the vehicle before purchasing it, it did not make this noise. When I first took delivery of the vehicle, initially it did not make this noise. It does not only happen at low speeds, matter of fact it is worse on the highway. And lastly, the issue has gotten progressive worse since I first discovered it (much louder now). So unless GM has built a vehicle that is supposed to make a grinding engine noise, not initially but after being driven for a few days, and get louder over a few weeks, then I cannot agree with the logic that this is "normal". After explaining all of this, it was suggested I contact GM customer service which may help me get things moving faster. I will do so, but I also do not know what good that it will do. This forum seems to think GM Canada customer service is utter garbage.

I contacted my sales agent and told him everything. And explained that I may take it to another dealership for a second opinion, or look for alternate steps that I can take to remedy my situation. But I will not continue to drive a brand new vehicle that is not operating as it is supposed to.

I am looking at Ontario's Consumer Protection Policies, because if it is a lemon then I don't want it. And if its a problem the dealership has no idea how to fix, and is asking me to "live with it" then what other options do I have aside from taking legal actions?

So yeah.....that is my situation currently. Hope you guys have better luck with your Camaro.

Hi.. I sent you a private message. Please take a look.
Guthdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:27 AM   #22
Lashu74
Lashu74

Drives: 2017 ZL1
If Canada's customer service is anything like the US's then you are spot on pretty worthless. What you can expect is them reaching out to you and then giving you the run around for at least a month all the while stringing you along making you think they are getting things done. Good luck man I hope you can get it taken care of. Seems like many on this forum are having issues to little or no resolve. It's a shame they don't step it up, it seems they are more concerned with taking your money and not so much with gaining a repeat customer.
Lashu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:30 PM   #23
HCGxKaLiBeR

Drives: 2018 Audi S4/2016 Carmaro 2SS
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461923

I think you are having the same issue as me.
Check my post and videos and let me know.
(If you can turn your bass lower, you can hear it better)

Went to the dealer 6 times. Placed everything that they can think of. No luck.
In the end, they tested another new camaro and told me this is normal because the other car is making the same noise.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:47 AM   #24
Tanvir_sarwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthdawg View Post
Hi.. I sent you a private message. Please take a look.
Hi- I replied back.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:57 AM   #25
Tanvir_sarwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCGxKaLiBeR View Post
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461923

I think you are having the same issue as me.
Check my post and videos and let me know.
(If you can turn your bass lower, you can hear it better)

Went to the dealer 6 times. Placed everything that they can think of. No luck.
In the end, they tested another new camaro and told me this is normal because the other car is making the same noise.
I hear the sound in your videos. It is the same issue (it is one of the issue I am having, the ticking sound), but I think yours is a bit louder. Here is my take on your situation, and why I feel the dealership is giving you false information:

a) If this was normal, why did they do so many diagnostics and replace so many things? You went SIX times, you're telling me after all that NOW they think its normal?

b) They drove another car, and its the same - this is a classic one. And my dealership told me the same thing. And mind you, "they drove it".....they wont allow us to drive it. I anticipated this, and before they could use this on me, I went ahead and drove another Camaro myself. Just so I can tell them "yeah, I drove one too, and it wasn't the same". I even asked....can I drive this Camaro that you drove? They couldn't let me (It was another customers who brought it in for a completely different issue). My suggestion, go to another dealer and test drive a Camaro similar to yours. Pretend like you're interested in it so they give you a fresh one (dont tell them about your issue). And then you can go back to your dealer and tell them, yeah I drove another Camaro....it ain't normal.

c) This is our best response I feel - tell them "if it is normal...it should have happened from day 1. It didn't. So by that logic...not normal."

See where that gets you...and don't give up.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:11 AM   #26
Tanvir_sarwar

Okay so here is an update on where my situation is:

I contacted GM Canada customer care and gave my statement, in great detail. And I was told that they would reach out to the dealership and contact me back.

The sales agent at the dealership whom I deal with is a very nice guy. I would almost consider him a friend, this isn't the first car I bought from him and I've also given him business. And he has been helpful in this process. He told me this is whats gonna happen. The dealership will explain to GM customer care what they've done with the car and why they can't find anything wrong with it. In case they say something different, I have saved all my email conversation with the shop foreman so I can back up my story.
Once this happens, generally GM will send an engineer who has worked on V6 camaro and he/she will take a look at it. At that point if the engineer says something is wrong, then they will fix whatever is necessary. If the engineer says its normal....well thats that.

Here is what my plans are next. I will wait for GM to contact me back, and wait to see what the engineer says. If he says okay XYZ needs to be fixed then I'll want details. Because, the car is less than a month old, if you have to change the tranny and exhaust or do any type of massive rework on the car....then I want it replaced. Sorry, but I am not gonna keep a car that needs to be overhauled less than a month into its life....that screams "lemon" to me. If its a minor issue and the problem is fixed....then I am happy to take it back.

If the Engineer concludes "it is normal"....then I will seek legal assistance. I gave this analogy to the dealership the other day "If I buy an apple from you, and find a bug inside...but you and your engineers tell me "thats normal"....well I cant just take back an apple with a bug inside." The sales agent told me that usually GM does not want to deal with legal matters and will find a resolution....as in replace the car.

For Canadians who are interested, we have something called "Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan" (CAMVP).....this is what we can go through to get a lemon replaced:
http://www.camvap.ca/
Old 01-16-2017, 10:26 AM   #27
vet757

Drives: ^^^This
Quote:

I contacted GM Canada customer care and gave my statement, in great detail. And I was told that they would reach out to the dealership and contact me back.

The sales agent at the dealership whom I deal with is a very nice guy. I would almost consider him a friend, this isn't the first car I bought from him and I've also given him business. And he has been helpful in this process. He told me this is whats gonna happen. The dealership will explain to GM customer care what they've done with the car and why they can't find anything wrong with it. In case they say something different, I have saved all my email conversation with the shop foreman so I can back up my story.
Once this happens, generally GM will send an engineer who has worked on V6 camaro and he/she will take a look at it. At that point if the engineer says something is wrong, then they will fix whatever is necessary. If the engineer says its normal....well thats that.

Here is what my plans are next. I will wait for GM to contact me back, and wait to see what the engineer says. If he says okay XYZ needs to be fixed then I'll want details. Because, the car is less than a month old, if you have to change the tranny and exhaust or do any type of massive rework on the car....then I want it replaced. Sorry, but I am not gonna keep a car that needs to be overhauled less than a month into its life....that screams "lemon" to me. If its a minor issue and the problem is fixed....then I am happy to take it back.

If the Engineer concludes "it is normal"....then I will seek legal assistance. I gave this analogy to the dealership the other day "If I buy an apple from you, and find a bug inside...but you and your engineers tell me "thats normal"....well I cant just take back an apple with a bug inside." The sales agent told me that usually GM does not want to deal with legal matters and will find a resolution....as in replace the car.

For Canadians who are interested, we have something called "Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan" (CAMVP).....this is what we can go through to get a lemon replaced:
Thanks for the update. Sorry youre going thru this I hope the engineer finds the issue. Is this person an actual Engineer or it different title for a mechanic? Best of luck to you.
vet757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:59 PM   #28
HCGxKaLiBeR

Drives: 2018 Audi S4/2016 Carmaro 2SS
Quote:

FYI.. I visited two differnt dealer. They replaced the TSB fuel line, then belt tensioner pulley, then checked exhaust system, engine bay, then give me the final answer "we drove another camaro and it has the same noise, so there is nothing wrong."

I reached out to GM twice about this.

First time, they said they are aware. I asked what was it, they said they will get back to me. Its been a few month now, no news. I replied twice, no answer.

Second time, they said they will follow up with the dealer. They will provide more info back to me. Again... haven't hear since.

I used Rislone and BestLine engine oil treamment in two different oil changes. It is quieter now but still noticeable. I soon bought RANGE AFM module, it now stays on V8 mode all the time, I still hear it slightly but I think I just have to deal with it.