Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 10-24-2016, 08:51 PM   #1
The Intimidator

Drives: 2018 Red Hot Camaro ZL1
Paint problem on black wheels? Anyone else?

Okay, so I took my 2016 2SS to get one of the black wheels looked at on the 14th because the clear coat. It looked as if it was fading on every spoke of that wheel only. I only had about 1,230 miles at that time on the car. Bought it brand new and have bought extended warranty on the car as well. They took a picture and said they would send it in to GM and hopefully they will say that the wheel will need to be refinished. I just want my wheel to match the others and look brand new and not faded again. I also don't want my car left in the shop for days. I don't know if it was like this when I bought it, but you don't expect to buy a new $50,000 car and have to look that close at every detail on it. I still have not heard anything back from either GM or my dealership. Starting to wonder if I was just shoved off to the side and ignored. Anyone else have this issue and if so, get it solved? I really don't want a possibility that it might be taken care of. I just don't think that is fair when it's a flaw from the start.
The Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:35 AM   #2
Slem

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS (Auto) Loaded
Follow up with the dealer, it would make more sense for them to just to replace the wheel.
Slem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:19 AM   #3
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
I came here this morning to ask the same thing. I am having issues on both of my front wheels (stock black). The FR wheel looks worse than the FL. The affected areas are smooth to the touch. I will be asking the dealer about it when I take the car in for the rear groaning sound (still an issue) this week, but I wanted to see if there was any additional or background info here first.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:38 AM   #4
The Intimidator

I'm due for my first oil change, so I will be getting back in touch within the week. I guess I will be asking about my wheel again. They just made it sound like there was a chance that something might get done and that it would be just refinishing the wheel if they did. :(
Old 10-25-2016, 09:42 AM   #5
The Intimidator

Name:  IMG_6109.jpg
Views: 2489
Size:  170.7 KB

Name:  IMG_6111.jpg
Views: 2560
Size:  107.9 KB Here are two pics of just two spokes on the back passenger rear. That's sad that we are having issues and paying this much.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:26 AM   #6
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
Looks like the issue I have as well. Mine is at 6000 miles.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:48 PM   #7
The Intimidator

The dealership called Thursday, I have been sick so never had a chance to call back, but they got a new wheel in for my car. Glad to see this happen. Restores my faith that things will be taken care be it GM or the dealership.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:20 PM   #8
mekirk2

Drives: 2016 2SS Ragtop Garnet Red
To the dealer I go - same issue. 2700 miles and never washed with anything besides rinse and rinseless car wash soap and never used a pressure washer on it....

mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:24 PM   #9
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
This is a problem with all the GM painted wheels. It's happening on the Corvettes too. If you have a good dealer they will handle it under warranty, but after a couple years you're going to want to powder coat all of them because it's going to happen again. It's just a thin clearcoat with a base coat and shouldn't be really used on wheels. That's why I sold mine right after I got my car and put on a set of aftermarket powdercoat wheels.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:50 PM   #10
Adrian97c

Drives: Wife's 14' IS 250
Same boat here! 2016 SS, 13k miles, all wheels have spots & one of them is peeled in a huge spot... dealership is cool & didn't hesitate to order 4 new wheels! I am waiting for them to arrive.

I wonder if they will let me keep the old wheels? I'd like to get the old wheels powder coated & then sell the new wheels
Built on • 3/22/16
Adopted • 4/07/16

Sold on 2/05/16:
2014 Camaro SW L99, 2SS, RS, NAV, Inferno Orange Interior:
-Borla ATAK catback
-Range AFM delete
-15% tint all around
-Red LED interior bulbs
-55k white Cree LED fogs
-License plate LED bulb swap
-12" Sub Kit, BA amp swap
-Oracle ghosted LED sidemarkers
Adrian97c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:54 PM   #11
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian97c View Post
Same boat here! 2016 SS, 13k miles, all wheels have spots & one of them is peeled in a huge spot... dealership is cool & didn't hesitate to order 4 new wheels! I am waiting for them to arrive.

I wonder if they will let me keep the old wheels? I'd like to get the old wheels powder coated & then sell the new wheels
Probably not. Most manufacturers under warranty want the part destroyed so that it can't re-enter the market, eBay, CL,etc in some way…
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:05 PM   #12
Adrian97c

Drives: Wife's 14' IS 250

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Built on • 3/22/16
Adopted • 4/07/16

Sold on 2/05/16:
2014 Camaro SW L99, 2SS, RS, NAV, Inferno Orange Interior:
-Borla ATAK catback
-Range AFM delete
-15% tint all around
-Red LED interior bulbs
-55k white Cree LED fogs
-License plate LED bulb swap
-12" Sub Kit, BA amp swap
-Oracle ghosted LED sidemarkers
Adrian97c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:03 PM   #13
NY JOE

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Conv
Mine are doing the same thing on both rear wheels. I bought the car in North Carolina and live in NY. The dealer in NY looked at it and said to bring it back to the purchasing dealer and did not want to get involved. I called the dealer in NC and they said to put the claim through my insurance, I must have gotten a chemical on them. I called the GM customer service line and opened a case with them. They contacted the dealer in NC and basically said to put the claim through my car ins. While waiting for their response I brought the car to a certified GM auto collision center and they gave me an estimate showing it was poorly prepped when painted. I confronted GM customer service with this and they are going to schedule an appointment with another local dealer in NY to reinspect them. I only had the car for 6 days when this happened. That was in October. The wheels have now gotten worse and the clear is peeling. I'm still waiting for an appointment. $50,000 dollar car and getting the run around. I'll have to see what the next dealer says. I will show them these posts as well to show it's a common problem. I can only hope for the best.
NY JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:13 PM   #14
Lashu74
Lashu74

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY JOE View Post
Mine are doing the same thing on both rear wheels. I bought the car in North Carolina and live in NY. The dealer in NY looked at it and said to bring it back to the purchasing dealer and did not want to get involved. I called the dealer in NC and they said to put the claim through my insurance, I must have gotten a chemical on them. I called the GM customer service line and opened a case with them. They contacted the dealer in NC and basically said to put the claim through my car ins. While waiting for their response I brought the car to a certified GM auto collision center and they gave me an estimate showing it was poorly prepped when painted. I confronted GM customer service with this and they are going to schedule an appointment with another local dealer in NY to reinspect them. I only had the car for 6 days when this happened. That was in October. The wheels have now gotten worse and the clear is peeling. I'm still waiting for an appointment. $50,000 dollar car and getting the run around. I'll have to see what the next dealer says. I will show them these posts as well to show it's a common problem. I can only hope for the best.
You spoke with customer care in October and they said they were going to make an appointment for you at another dealer? You still don't have that appointment 3 months later?? Have you tried to contacted them since the day they said they would get you another appointment 3 months ago?
Lashu74 is offline   Reply With Quote