#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 06-12-2016, 11:56 PM   #29
GrimReaperSS

Drives: 2001 Onyx Black/Ebony SS. 427/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I would be interested to see the data showing the effect on cooling such a tight mesh would have. My initial thoughts would be that it is surprisingly restrictive.
Although I've have seen many articles that stated, I belive on both the Corvette and Camaro, that the designed grilles actually provide more cooling than with the grill area wide open (No grill at all). Would be interesting to see. I've worked for a Mazda dealer for the past 14 years, and there are plenty of aftermarket mesh like grilles made for the Miata and RX-8. I've seen many of them come into the shop with them installed for the same reason, protection for the radiator or A/C condensor.
GrimReaperSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:19 AM   #30
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
I could tell you.... but then I would have to kill you !!!

JK.. Chevy brought the silver convertible to Barrett-Jackson WPB. But they refused to open the car or roll back the roof. I thought Mr Wyndham might like to see the silver with the exposed CF Hood insert. Here are a couple of pictures comparing a ZL1 grill to an SS grill.
You can see how the different shapes of the center and side grilles work in these shots: The ZL 1 has more of the side grilles ducting air to the side radiators (The Camaro has 3 radiators as explained in several magazine articles). Those side openings are much bigger and in the SS they are partially blocked. Because the the extra ~200hp additional cooling is needed.

Interesting....
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:08 PM   #31
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReaperSS View Post
Although I've have seen many articles that stated, I belive on both the Corvette and Camaro, that the designed grilles actually provide more cooling than with the grill area wide open (No grill at all). Would be interesting to see. I've worked for a Mazda dealer for the past 14 years, and there are plenty of aftermarket mesh like grilles made for the Miata and RX-8. I've seen many of them come into the shop with them installed for the same reason, protection for the radiator or A/C condensor.
Just because they are available and installed, doesn't mean they improve, or maintain cooling. Miatas and RX-8s don't put out V8-levels of heat...

That's why I'd be curious to see real test data. That mesh is very tight, which means there's a lot of frontal area compromised, limiting total airflow...or at least disturbing it before hitting the heat exchangers.

But then...Cadillac V's use a similar mesh, just wider.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:20 PM   #32
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Since they went to such extremes for air flow to hollow out the front bow tie emblem on the 5th gen Z/28. I would guess there's a definite reason for the grill 'mesh' to as open as it is, and adding a finer mesh to help protect things would indeed have a detrimental effect on the air flow.

Would the reduction in air flow have a measurable effect during normal driving? probably not, but it might turn into an issue if you drive your car hard where it would increase the heat the engine gives off.

I don't think I'd bother trying to second guess the engineers, and just leave the grill the way it is.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:22 AM   #33
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Since they went to such extremes for air flow to hollow out the front bow tie emblem on the 5th gen Z/28. I would guess there's a definite reason for the grill 'mesh' to as open as it is, and adding a finer mesh to help protect things would indeed have a detrimental effect on the air flow.

Would the reduction in air flow have a measurable effect during normal driving? probably not, but it might turn into an issue if you drive your car hard where it would increase the heat the engine gives off.

I don't think I'd bother trying to second guess the engineers, and just leave the grill the way it is.
That's kind of where I'm coming from. DD? No issue...track day? yikes...
Old 06-14-2016, 11:17 AM   #34

Drives: Getaway Special
Quote:
That's kind of where I'm coming from. DD? No issue...track day? yikes...
Close reading if my original post will say that my proposal suggested stretch clips on each side for easy removal (DD vs Track day). Problem was solved within post. The mesh size of openings and material could be designed for optimal balance of heat protection and road rash protection. If it makes it to production with such an obvious vulnerability GM could be opening itself up for a major recall. Just trying to help. Again, have seen this type issue arise in past and mandate dealer replacement of coils due to faulty design. It only takes a small pinhole to ruin your day.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:47 AM   #35
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by *007 View Post
Close reading if my original post will say that my proposal suggested stretch clips on each side for easy removal (DD vs Track day). Problem was solved within post. The mesh size of openings and material could be designed for optimal balance of heat protection and road rash protection. If it makes it to production with such an obvious vulnerability GM could be opening itself up for a major recall. Just trying to help. Again, have seen this type issue arise in past and mandate dealer replacement of coils due to faulty design. It only takes a small pinhole to ruin your day.
I missed that. I wonder how such a thing would mount easily without taking the entire front clip off?
Old 06-14-2016, 12:33 PM   #36
GrimReaperSS

Drives: 2001 Onyx Black/Ebony SS. 427/M6
Quote:
Just because they are available and installed, doesn't mean they improve, or maintain cooling. Miatas and RX-8s don't put out V8-levels of heat...

That's why I'd be curious to see real test data. That mesh is very tight, which means there's a lot of frontal area compromised, limiting total airflow...or at least disturbing it before hitting the heat exchangers.

But then...Cadillac V's use a similar mesh, just wider.

Not sayin that tight of a mesh would improve anything. Was just saying that just because it's there, doesn't necessarily mean it will hinder airflow. Of course if I was tracking a vehicle, I wouldn't be installing anything, anywhere, that didn't provide improvements.
GrimReaperSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:09 PM   #37
NB2017ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 10 Speed Hyper Blue
Very nice up close. Most of the pics if not all, of the red , blue, garnet red and black had just the carbon splash and not the open weave. I wonder how much of an option this will be vs the standard carbon splash ?

Last edited by NB2017ZL1; 07-14-2016 at 07:41 PM.
NB2017ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:26 AM   #38
dw22racer

Drives: Black 1LT V-6 A8 2016
Nice pics! The carbon looks really nice exposed. Top ply (First in the mold) is 45 degrees! Just another special touch on the ZL1 to keep us drooling. I'm wondering, Why order 1 when there are basically no options except color anyway? They should make the Performance data recorder standard for the price!!
DROOLING OVER 2017 ZL1 (BLACK, OF COURSE)

dw22racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:02 AM   #39
Camaroguy555

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2016 1SS NPP 6MT MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
On the Gen5's, the exposed CF insert costs more because the weave in the fabric is visible.
Because the weave is going to be visible, when they lay the fabric, they have to take special care to make sure the weave pattern is straight throughout the insert. That extra effort is more labor, thus more cost.
If the insert is to be painted, then it doesn't matter if the weave pattern is less than perfect.

Not a scam at all.
+1 I also believe if they use the same clear as the C6 ZR1 the roof was finished with a special clear that was $60,000 a gallon.
Camaroguy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:12 PM   #40
Heavymetal454
Account Suspended

Drives: '69 RS Pro Street
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroguy555 View Post
+1 I also believe if they use the same clear as the C6 ZR1 the roof was finished with a special clear that was $60,000 a gallon.
Since when has Clear kitchen plastic wrap not been enough? Keeps my sandwich fresh. Lol
Heavymetal454 is offline   Reply With Quote