#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-10-2016, 10:29 AM   #15
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tone228 View Post
Wow didn't realize the insert was carbon fiber. I wonder if this will be an extra cost option like the gen 5 ZL1. Always heard the hood insert on the gen 5 was carbon fiber and you paid extra to not have it covered in paint. #whatascam lol
Also the carbon fiber can degrade when exposed to sunlight and requires a special clearcoat that at one point was quite expensive. I don't think it is nearly as expensive as when they first started using it on the ZR1(I think).
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:55 PM   #16
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by detltu View Post
Also the carbon fiber can degrade when exposed to sunlight and requires a special clearcoat that at one point was quite expensive. I don't think it is nearly as expensive as when they first started using it on the ZR1(I think).
Yeah, not just the initial clear coat done at the factory that is expensive but also the upkeep of it. You do need to take a VERY good care of the CF or it will start turning yellow. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who DD's their car (leaves the car in the sun for 8 to 5) and / or doesn't store it in the garage. Now, if you have a parking garage at work or can park out of the sun, it's your toy car that you take out of the garage whenever, hell yeah!
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:57 PM   #17
Codez

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
On the gen 5 was the ZL1 hood available to purchase? I am leaning towards a 2SS but I don't like the hood inserts on it. Hoping the new Zl1 hood transferable at a cost of course.
Codez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:15 PM   #18
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codez View Post
On the gen 5 was the ZL1 hood available to purchase? I am leaning towards a 2SS but I don't like the hood inserts on it. Hoping the new Zl1 hood transferable at a cost of course.
I doubt there wasn't any item you could not purchase if you wanted.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:24 PM   #19
GrimReaperSS

Drives: 2001 Onyx Black/Ebony SS. 427/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
I doubt there wasn't any item you could not purchase if you wanted.
Could be like the 4th gen SS when it arrived. If you wanted to order a hood or spoiler etc, you had to prove you owned an SS to order one. Don't know if they would do that again, I know with the 5th gen Z/28, there were parts you couldn't "just order" over the counter.
GrimReaperSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:49 PM   #20
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReaperSS View Post
Could be like the 4th gen SS when it arrived. If you wanted to order a hood or spoiler etc, you had to prove you owned an SS to order one. Don't know if they would do that again, I know with the 5th gen Z/28, there were parts you couldn't "just order" over the counter.
ohhh...ok, I stand corrected then.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:44 PM   #21
tone228

Drives: 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by detltu View Post
That's true I remember reading that when the C6 Zr1 debuted. I remember it being like $3,000 a gallon or something like that. It's an additive to the clear coat to prevent it from yellowing. Granted they're not using a whole gallon to cover that small section and I would imagine by now they would have gotten the prices down. I was being semi sarcastic by calling it a scam, never heard if that its exposed carbon fiber its a better quality weave, that's news to me. Just think its funny how they charge extra to give you "less" by leaving off the paint on that panel. Every time I hear of a manufacture doing something like that it reminds me of Porsche and how on their GT3 they charge a whole bunch of money to remove the radio, back seat and AC, and than charge you again to put it back in as an option.
tone228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:35 PM   #22
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
The additive to protect carbon fiber through clear was $60,000/gallon...they mixed it at about a 3% rate...which put the clear coat something like $3000/gallon. All of these prices were at the time of the ZR1's release.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:37 AM   #23
Hypertrophy

Drives: truck
There are compounds that can be incorporated into the resin itself these days to prevent yellowing. This comes from koenigsegg who makes carbon fiber wheels. I think they still add a type of wax/polish though which adds additional protection.
Hypertrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:06 AM   #24
BoostedX2

Drives: VR ZL1 #259/Nissan 370Z NISMO
I actually like the design on my 12 ZL1 better....maybe its awesome in person?
BoostedX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:06 PM   #25

Drives: Getaway Special
Protective Screening Needed

Thanks for the pics Steve! The openings sure do insure great air flow and cooling. It also makes the cooling fins have increased vulnerability to damage from road rashes... sand, pebbles, small debris.

History has proven that the cooling fins in the front ALWAYS get hit with bugs and, many times, small rocks and whatever, causing damage over time.

It would be great to see GM install a flexible screen similar to this picture - say with stretch hooks on each end - that would not affect air flow but would protect the cooling fins. Make it easily accessed and removable for cleaning, or if nothing else (since it is highly unlikely at this stage to design in) just a permanent one that would protect the cooling fins. After all, its all about MAINTAINING the cooling capacity and I am sure track days have a very damaging affect on these fins as well. Possibly even more than on everyday roads.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2016, 02:24 PM   #26

Drives: Getaway Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedX2 View Post
I actually like the design on my 12 ZL1 better....maybe its awesome in person?
It's hard to argue with you on this. The ZL1 is based on the 2010 World Award Winning design of the Camaro. There are features of the G5 that certainly will never be outdone. The rounded hood scoop on the new one "may" offer better air control , but, arguably, it has an effeminate look to it compared to the 12's squared off "all muscle" look. I cannot quite understand that rounded look myself and would like to hear from design and engineering how it came out rounded and "soft" looking. But it won't stop me from buying one. I do believe the added flares on the new front fenders will be awesome and stand out vs other Camaros. And, the new rocker panels are an improvement over the 12. Now to the back.... taillights. They actually meld in fairly well and don't offend. It was time to change from the original, and agreeably, the refresh was not accepted well. They have addressed that and in addition, corrected the black panel on the bumper that used to rise too high up. It's back down where it belongs. It would have been nice to see some type of rear fender brake cooling vent cues included, or live ones incorporated.

On balance, when looking at pros and cons, they come out even to me (cosmetically). As said, if I saw the two together, brand new and had a choice, I'd of course go with the new one with all the other improvements. The overall design on the new one is spot on with the exception of the "soft" hood design (just my opinion).
Old 06-12-2016, 06:48 PM   #27
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by *007 View Post
Thanks for the pics Steve! The openings sure do insure great air flow and cooling. It also makes the cooling fins have increased vulnerability to damage from road rashes... sand, pebbles, small debris.

History has proven that the cooling fins in the front ALWAYS get hit with bugs and, many times, small rocks and whatever, causing damage over time.

It would be great to see GM install a flexible screen similar to this picture - say with stretch hooks on each end - that would not affect air flow but would protect the cooling fins. Make it easily accessed and removable for cleaning, or if nothing else (since it is highly unlikely at this stage to design in) just a permanent one that would protect the cooling fins. After all, its all about MAINTAINING the cooling capacity and I am sure track days have a very damaging affect on these fins as well. Possibly even more than on everyday roads.
I would be interested to see the data showing the effect on cooling such a tight mesh would have. My initial thoughts would be that it is surprisingly restrictive.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:02 PM   #28
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
The new ZL1 hood is quite similar to the old L-88 hood on the 2nd gen Camaro.

http://www.ss396.com/part/RH-70L88FG.html
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote