Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-26-2016, 12:22 PM   #15
diirk

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Most track guys I know don't bother with slotted or drilled rotors. But for us it's an expense/reward thing. We go through brake pads and rotors fairly quickly so there's no real advantage to paying extra for no real performance gain.

Aesthetically though, cross drilled and/or slotted rotors certainly look better.

Slotted are less prone to stress cracking and are actually more functional, potentially allowing more consistent stopping through venting of gases built up from braking, at the expense of increased brake pad wear.

As was already mentioned, the quality of the rotor matters. Especially with cross drilled or slotted. Are the edges of the holes counter sunk? Metal quality? Double ground?

With all that said, when it comes time I'll probably throw some slotted rotors on the car. Depends what I can find a deal on.
1morproject
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:33 PM   #16
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by diirk View Post
Most track guys I know don't bother with slotted or drilled rotors. But for us it's an expense/reward thing. We go through brake pads and rotors fairly quickly so there's no real advantage to paying extra for no real performance gain.

Aesthetically though, cross drilled and/or slotted rotors certainly look better.

Slotted are less prone to stress cracking and are actually more functional, potentially allowing more consistent stopping through venting of gases built up from braking, at the expense of increased brake pad wear.

As was already mentioned, the quality of the rotor matters. Especially with cross drilled or slotted. Are the edges of the holes counter sunk? Metal quality? Double ground?

With all that said, when it comes time I'll probably throw some slotted rotors on the car. Depends what I can find a deal on.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:36 PM   #17
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
None. :( I've never driven or raced using slotted rotors. I just know I've never had problems using the smooth rotors.

Seeing as how the 1LE and ZL1 use smooth rotors, and the 6-piston upgrade uses slotted rotors...I'm going to guess than they did that for looks since people "upgrading" to six piston might be more interested in seeing something special.
OK, I can go with that. Thanks