Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

View Poll Results: Do you want to see a 2SS-1LE?
Yes, I want to see a 2SS-1LE as an option. 71 59.66%
No, the 1LE should stay as a 1SS option 48 40.34%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2016, 08:20 PM   #1
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
How many of you would like to see a 2SS-1LE?

I would like to start a poll to help convince Chevy that a 2SS - 1LE is a good idea. The hard core track guys are going to order a 1SS-1LE in order to keep the weight down as much as possible. But I do believe that there are a lot of people out there that would like an upgrade to a standard SS Camaro and pay the extra money for a 2SS-1LE, like me. Yes I will track it but most likely not more than a few times a year. The rest of the time I would like the comfort of the cooled Recaro seats, the safety of the blind spot monitoring and the other amenities that come with the 2SS package. I'm not asking Chevy to give it to me for free but I am asking for the ability to check off the 2SS package on the 1LE.

I have a ZL1 and I love it's power and sound. But I rarely use all of that power and if most of us were honest they would say the same thing. 640 HP is nice to have readily available but not something that can be used all of the time.

Corvette has just released the Grand Sport, putting a Z06 body on top of an LT1 powered chassis. It is about $14,000 less than the starting point of a Z06 and the LT4 engine. A 2SS-1LE would be similar, basically an LT1 powered ZL1 like the Grand Sport is an LT1 powered Z06. The last Grand Sport model out sold the Z06 on a 4 to 1 ratio. I believe a 2SS-1LE will account for 50% of 1LE sales.

The approximate $4000 difference between a 1SS and a 2SS would be paid by a lot of us, like me. A poll might show Chevy how popular a 2SS-1LE can be. Please vote and let us know your opinions one way or the other.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:25 PM   #2
thebiglubinsky

Drives: Infiniti G37S
Chevy needs to offer 2SS 1LE package or at least a convenience package with BOSE, heated seats and auto dimming mirrors.
thebiglubinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:31 PM   #3
crabman

Drives: Sniffin the tree.
Now we need to start another poll, "How many people want to send over a couple hardcases to beat up the guy that voted no on the 2SS 1LE poll?"
crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:46 PM   #4
OldJedi
Use the Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
Now we need to start another poll, "How many people want to send over a couple hardcases to beat up the guy that voted no on the 2SS 1LE poll?"
I was sure that not everyone would agree with my opinion, which is fine. But I do hope that enough interest is shown in a 2SS-1LE that Chevy takes note and considers making the 2SS option available. All the pieces to make a 2SS are on the parts shelves it is just a matter of approving their use and making a 2SS-1LE.

The hard core 1LE track rats might not want anything to dilute the image of their beloved 1LE but in reality it will only enhance it by putting more cars on tracks. JMO
Old 05-04-2016, 10:07 PM   #5
crabman

Drives: Sniffin the tree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
I was sure that not everyone would agree with my opinion, which is fine. But I do hope that enough interest is shown in a 2SS-1LE that Chevy takes note and considers making the 2SS option available. All the pieces to make a 2SS are on the parts shelves it is just a matter of approving their use and making a 2SS-1LE.

The hard core 1LE track rats might not want anything to dilute the image of their beloved 1LE but in reality it will only enhance it by putting more cars on tracks. JMO
I was kidding, it's why I put the smilie in there. I don't expect everyone to agree and it would be a boring world if they did.

As to the 1LE it doesn't have an image, outside of the types that show up here no one else even knows what it is and if they did they wouldn't care. You cant dilute what doesn't exist. To buyers in the showroom it's just going to be a box they can check.

Your post was correct. Just like every other car if they offered the options people would buy them. Look how many automatic/loaded/convertible Z06s they're moving, turns out not a single purist died when they offered them and everyone is happy.

Most 1LEs will travel nearly every mile of their lives on public streets and many wont be tracked at all. For those who want the 1SS or cant afford a 2SS it's there, for the rest of us there should be a 2SS 1LE. No one loses, everyone wins. I'm in no way trying to say that someone shouldn't have their 1ss if they want, they should. Those that want the 2SS should have it too, there is no reason not to offer it.

The problem IMO is that the boys in the Crystal Palace are too busy trying to outsmart themselves and forgot that when it benefits everyone and hurts no one its good business to go ahead and take the money people are trying to throw at them.
crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:57 PM   #6
Gen_Nick3.8

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglubinsky View Post
Chevy needs to offer 2SS 1LE package or at least a convenience package with BOSE, heated seats and auto dimming mirrors.
X100000000000000 thats all i want
Gen_Nick3.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:17 PM   #7
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I don't care either way. My 1LE is a 2SS because the dealer didn't have any 1SS 1LEs and cut me a hell of a deal.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:12 AM   #8
OldJedi
Use the Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
I was kidding, it's why I put the smilie in there. I don't expect everyone to agree and it would be a boring world if they did.

As to the 1LE it doesn't have an image, outside of the types that show up here no one else even knows what it is and if they did they wouldn't care. You cant dilute what doesn't exist. To buyers in the showroom it's just going to be a box they can check.

Your post was correct. Just like every other car if they offered the options people would buy them. Look how many automatic/loaded/convertible Z06s they're moving, turns out not a single purist died when they offered them and everyone is happy.

Most 1LEs will travel nearly every mile of their lives on public streets and many wont be tracked at all. For those who want the 1SS or cant afford a 2SS it's there, for the rest of us there should be a 2SS 1LE. No one loses, everyone wins. I'm in no way trying to say that someone shouldn't have their 1ss if they want, they should. Those that want the 2SS should have it too, there is no reason not to offer it.

The problem IMO is that the boys in the Crystal Palace are too busy trying to outsmart themselves and forgot that when it benefits everyone and hurts no one its good business to go ahead and take the money people are trying to throw at them.
Thanks for the great reply and even better example about the automatic Z06. The Z06 purists thought it was blasphemy to offer an automatic Z06 much less a convertible automatic Z06. They thought that Zora-Duntov would roll over in his grave, bless his soul. But the world did not come to a fiery end and Chevy is making $1800 a pop on each automatic sold. Over 70% of Corvettes sold are automatics.

For the 1LE purist, the 2SS is not a box that they would check off and I can certainly understand that. But I also truly believe a 2SS option would not hurt the 1LE image nor would it take away from the capabilities of the 1LE in any way. Yes, I'm sure that there would be a weight increase but not a huge one. Certainly not one that would prove to be detrimental on the track. I track my fully loaded ZL1 with a sun roof and get around the track just as fast as the other guys. Any difference in weight between a 1SS-1LE and a 2SS-1LE could easily be made up in driver ability.

There was a huge disturbance in the force when the C7 Corvette was introduced without round tail lights, yet we all managed to survive changing a tradition that had stood for over fifty years. I truly appreciate Chevy bringing back the 1LE and making it a phenomenal track / street car. Just take the next step and offer the 2SS option for these old bones so I can ride around the track with cool buns.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:08 AM   #9
02fbody35th

Drives: 2018 ZL1
My thinking is that Chevy knows what they are doing, and they didn't just limit the 1le to a 1ss just because. I think they did it to leave room for another model. Maybe a z28? What if the plan is a more affordable z28 this time around? It could fall somewhere between the 1le and the Zl1. If they offered a 2ss 1le its price would be to close to a "z28". Just my thoughts and hopes!
02fbody35th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:21 AM   #10
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
In my very humble opinion...

There are MANY 2SS/1LEs out there...because it's an "everything" combination. A comfortable and (dare I say) luxurious daily driver that can be taken to the track and beat up on cars costing double. There's a market for this vehicle...The 1SS/1LE cars will still exist and be purchased by the track purist who can't/doesn't want to get a Z/28...nothing wrong with that, it's an excellent combo!

I just don't agree with the "purist"/"heritage" thought process that would artificially remove a buyers option. It seems sort of elitist to me...The 5th gen 1LE earned what renown and reputation there is in that package's name...and there was a 2SS version offered, then. I don't recall anyone ever complaining about that...so why is it a new issue?

There were horrible threats and promises of failure and dilution if MR was used on the 1LE package...lo and behold, people are anticipating it...people will adapt. And now they are offering a V6 1LE in either 1LT, or 2LT form....sure...it's not as fast. But if they think there's a market for a 2LT/1LE....surely there's one for a 2SS/1LE.

I'm pretty set on getting a ZL1 this time around, so I have to be honest and say I don't have much skin in the game...but I am a 2SS/1LE buyer...had I the option, I'd do it again exactly the same because the car was an amazing all-around bargain. I'd hate to see that option for a GREAT version of the Camaro be taken away from people...
Old 05-05-2016, 08:22 AM   #11
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
If GM's reasoning for not selling a 2SS/1LE is because of its "heritage" and "purists", how do they explain the V6 1LE?

.... *Crickets Chirping*

First off what heritage? The 1LE has been all over the map in terms of what it was in each generation of Camaro since the 1LE's inception in 1988! Hell it wasn't even exclusive to the Camaro! They made 1LE Firebirds!

Why is the 2SS all of the sudden 1LE blasphemy if it was offered in the 5th gen?

It seems like some people only want the 1LE to be exactly as they would spec it and have zero variations from that spec.

Purists weren't set ablaze by the V6 1LE just like they wouldn't be over a 6th gen 2SS or even an automatic 1LE (not my preference but the option wouldn't kill me)

The only sense I can make of this, is that GM is concerned about ZL1 customers switching to a 2SS/1LE = a $15,000 loss in sales. They must believe that the $5,000 they lose out on every 1SS/1LE customer who would have upped to a 2SS won't be enough to cover the loss of ZL1 customers.

I'm not sure I would agree with that philosophy
Old 05-05-2016, 08:46 AM   #12
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
The reason I purchased a different car and stopped waiting for pricing on the 1LE is because there is no 2SS option. Had they offered this, I would have waited for it.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:55 AM   #13

Drives: I have a bike.
They really should have a 2ss 1le.
233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:01 AM   #14
clanky
Hyper Blue 2016 Camaro 2S

Drives: 16 Hyper Blue2SS NPP MagRide 6M NAV
Yes more options is always a good thing, I don't know why people would say no to this...
clanky is offline   Reply With Quote