Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 04-01-2024, 11:31 AM   #1
italia366

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Question First track event soon! A few questions.

Hello all!

I have my first track day in my 2022 2SS 1LE (automatic) coming up soon and I'm super excited. This will be my 5th event, but my first in the Camaro. I have three main questions/concerns going into it:

1) How different is "regular" track mode versus PTM: Dry on the track? The reason I ask is because my club requires our traction and stability control to remain on for the beginner and intermediate groups (currently in intermediate). Curious for anyone who's tracked in these two modes can comment on the difference/which I should use?
2) Steering mode - I've looked a bit around the forums a bit and have seeing varying opinions (which is understandable since it's a preference). Curious if you guys prefer tour, sport or track steering?
3) Ice Mode - learned about this the other day and honestly it does concern me a bit; don't want to be flying down the front straight of Watkins Glen and realize my brakes don't work going into turn one. Thankfully my car is a 2022 (and I know gm did an update to help with this in 2019), I have the stock brake pads and tires, and have Castrol srf fluid in the car. Curious how concerned I should be about this issue.

Thanks!
italia366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 11:39 AM   #2
Osbornsm

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by italia366 View Post
Hello all!

I have my first track day in my 2022 2SS 1LE (automatic) coming up soon and I'm super excited. This will be my 5th event, but my first in the Camaro. I have three main questions/concerns going into it:

1) How different is "regular" track mode versus PTM: Dry on the track? The reason I ask is because my club requires our traction and stability control to remain on for the beginner and intermediate groups (currently in intermediate). Curious for anyone who's tracked in these two modes can comment on the difference/which I should use?
2) Steering mode - I've looked a bit around the forums a bit and have seeing varying opinions (which is understandable since it's a preference). Curious if you guys prefer tour, sport or track steering?
3) Ice Mode - learned about this the other day and honestly it does concern me a bit; don't want to be flying down the front straight of Watkins Glen and realize my brakes don't work going into turn one. Thankfully my car is a 2022 (and I know gm did an update to help with this in 2019), I have the stock brake pads and tires, and have Castrol srf fluid in the car. Curious how concerned I should be about this issue.

Thanks!

Good morning,

Thank you for checking before just showing up to an event blind!!
#1. Change your brake fluid to Castrol SRF.

1. Stability control is still on for PTMs except Sport 2 and Race. I drive my best laps on Sport 1. PTM Dry is only a teeny more slidey in the corner exit if you flat-foot it.

2. I keep steering in Touring. If i want an arms day i'll go to the gym.

3. Use pads designed for your tire grip levels. I've never had ICE mode before? 30k miles on the SS 1LE.

Mods: Rotofab, Nick Williams 103mm TB, MSD IM, Kooks 1 7/8
Results: 470 hp / 447 tq
Osbornsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 02:02 PM   #3
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I'll provide a little more detail as relates to the traction and stability control:

1) There's a sticky note at the top of (can't remember) either the 1LE subforum or the track section - give it a read as it will provide all the detail you want regarding the PTM modes.

2) The highlights of the PTM mode and how it differs from non-PTM everyday Tour/Sport/Track modes:
Stability Control
- in NON-PTM modes, stability control (the car trying to keep the car from excessively rotating or trying to save you in a spin) is "Fully On" or the most aggressive it can be
- In PTM mode, stability control may be dialed back depending on the particular PTM mode you select (wet = Fully On; dry = possibly still Fully ON; Sport1 = On, but isn't as aggressive so will let the car rotate more and may be less likely to save a spin; Sport2 and RACE = stability is Completely OFF)
Traction control
-Behaves differently between the normal non-PTM modes and PTM
- In everyday non-PTM modes, the car computer doesn't know how slippery the road surface is and you have access to full engine torque until the rear wheels start to spin under acceleration (including acceleration out of corners), at which point the computer will recognize the loss of traction and retard engine timing to reduce power to the wheels so that traction can be regained
- In PTM modes, you are effectively telling the computer how slippery the road surface is (by which PTM mode you choose), and the computer uses and algorithm to dole out power out on corner exit depending on how much the steering wheel is turned or opened. In this way, you can theoretically fully depress the throttle and the computer will decide how much thrust you get depending on the steering angle.
- PTM WET results in the most cutting of engine power on corner exit
-PMT dry allows more power
-Sport1 and Sport2 allow more than DRY, but the same between the 2 of them
-RACE allows the most power (though still restricted somewhat from full power), and will sometimes give you enough to rotate the rear on corner exit
- You can hear and feel when the computer cuts power, as you'll hear a low droning sound and the car will feel sluggish to accelerate from where you have the throttle position.

Suggestions
-Assuming dry track conditions, start your Camaro track experience with the car set to PTM Dry. This way you have the benefit of full stability control until you become more comfortable with how the car rotates going into and out of corners.
- At some point in the future, after you and your instructor are confident that you have decent vehicle control skills and are able to drive the car in a predictable, and safe manner, increase the PTM mode to Sport1.
- Do NOT go to PTM SPORT2 until you are fully ready to catch the rear end and properly recover, as Sport2 does not have stability control active to save you.

Enjoy your Camaro!!!
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 06:43 PM   #4
italia366

Thanks for the responses guys!

Already put Castrol srf in the car. Heavy car requires heavy duty dot4 fluid
Also sounds like I'll keep the steering in tour, and also happy to hear you haven't experienced ice mode at all! Definitely less worried since I'm using stock tires and pads.

And thank you both for the feedback on the PTM modes. Like I said my club wants us to keep traction control fully on, but it sounds like PTM:dry is what I want. Nearly full nannies, but the car won't bog down as much on corner exit compared to "regular" track mode. Tbh I'd rather have the extra safety net to prevent anything bad happening, so I'll def give PTM dry a go for my first session out in the Camaro! As i progress further through the intermediate group I'll give sport 1 a go
Old 04-01-2024, 07:08 PM   #5
italia366

The one thing I did see in the PTM demystified thread was that PTM: dry uses competitive stabilitrac. I scoured the thread but don't see an answer, but what's the difference between that and normal stability control?
Old 04-01-2024, 07:35 PM   #6
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Solid advice above. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about anything more. You'll quickly find this car has way more capability than you do. That's not a dig either. I've been tracking it for 3 years now and have yet to max out the chassis.

So, drive in Track mode, standard or maybe dry. Set your exhaust & suspension to track and steering to tour. That's my style.

And have some fun! Car is incredible on track. If you get hooked, look into getting a track alignment.
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 08:43 PM   #7
italia366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabjbr View Post
Solid advice above. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about anything more. You'll quickly find this car has way more capability than you do. That's not a dig either. I've been tracking it for 3 years now and have yet to max out the chassis.

So, drive in Track mode, standard or maybe dry. Set your exhaust & suspension to track and steering to tour. That's my style.

And have some fun! Car is incredible on track. If you get hooked, look into getting a track alignment.

Thanks man appreciate it, I'm so excited to get it out there
Old 04-01-2024, 09:51 PM   #8
speedyink1

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS 1LE 6MT
I can't wait to try mine on the track!

Do want to try the PTM modes, they sound really cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
-RACE allows the most power (though still restricted somewhat from full power), and will sometimes give you enough to rotate the rear on corner exit
Is there a way to not have it restricted at all or no?
(Probably never would, more curious then anything)
speedyink1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 09:52 PM   #9
N Camarolina

Quote:
Thanks for the responses guys!

it sounds like PTM:dry is what I want. Nearly full nannies, but the car won't bog down as much on corner exit compared to "regular" track mode. Tbh I'd rather have the extra safety net to prevent anything bad happening, so I'll def give PTM dry a go for my first session out in the Camaro! As i progress further through the intermediate group I'll give sport 1 a go
Your aim with corner exits is to slowly add throttle as you unwind the steering wheel (think of a string being attached between the steering wheel and throttle). When you have a bunch of steering angle coming out of a corner, PTM dry will actually retard the power more than if you just had the car in regular Track mode (remember, regular modes will give you full power until the rear wheels start to slip). But PTM modes are a safer approach for corner exits until you learn how to apply power smoothly. You don't want to be going through a corner apex at 60mph, apply too much throttle to quickly and have the car start to spin on you.

With regard to your question about the level of stability control that you'll have with PTM Sport1 and (apparently) PTM Dry, it's still turned on, but it will allow the car to start to rotate (yaw) at a faster rate (at any point in the corner) before it intervenes. The standard stablity control (full on) setting will prioritize stability and always want to keep the rear wheels following directly behind the front, which will generally mean understeer. When you get a little more comfortable with the 1LE handling, you'll likely appreciate being able to rotate the car with more than just the steering wheel (trail braking or throttle steering) and the more relaxed stability control will allow for some of this before intervening.

I don't think you asked, but you'll also want to be aware of tire pressures. I suggest you start at 30 for the start of the 1st session and aim for "hot" target pressures of 36 at all 4 corners by the time you reach the end of a session. Have the DIC display set to show tire pressures and note how pressures are climbing during the session. If you end the session above the "hot target" temp, lower the pressure at the appropriate corner by the number of lbs you were over (so if the front left tire finished at 38, drop 2 lbs from that tire before the start of the next session). And dont' forget to air your tires back up for street driving at the end of the day!
Old 04-02-2024, 07:08 PM   #10
nikerret

Drives: 2014 Ford F-350
I’m new to tracking and Camaro 1LE’s.

I went to Hallett three days, in March (01, 02, and the 29th)

For PTM setup, I hold the button down until the screen tells me TC and ESC are “OFF”. I put that in quotes because I don’t think it’s all the way off. On the first day, I started a session with everything OFF and accidentally hit the button, turning everything on. It really screwed me up, after driving a couple of sessions the other way. Remember, I don’t have much time in this car or on a track open this car (had 1,805 miles on it when I first got on track).

On 03/01 and 03/02, we started the first sessions between 36-38*F. Both afternoons showed temps in the 60*s. On the 29th, temps started in the low 50’s and got up to mid-60’s.

On 03/01, I started the PSI’s around 32 PSI. As the tires heated up, I adjusted them prior to each session to around 30 PSI. For 03/02, I aimed to keep them around 30 PSI. Looking at the tire wear, I believed they were slightly too high, so I decided the next time I would start lower.

On 03/29, I started the morning at 26 PSI, all around. Most of the first session was a slippery mess. Towards the end, the last couple of laps felt good. The rest of the sessions I started the PSI’s between 26-28 PSI, start on not cool tires.

My car has the tire temp sensors.
Temps are Cold, Normal, Warm, Hot.

I never got them to Hot. My best laps were right before or right after the temp switched from Normal to Warm. At Hallett, I would start noticing improvements in grip while showing Normal and about two laps into it really grabbing, it would change to Warm. Once in Warm, it was great, but the first few laps in Warm seemed optimal over laps after those.

On the first day, I did manage to leave the track….all my fault. The PDR is handy, to assess my screwup. Turn 5, CCW, is a blind hill that has an “s” shape. All morning I had hit the line wrong and was able to full throttle out of it while clipping the curbing.* I had an instructor with me and finally managed to hit the line right. This meant my speed hitting the curb was higher than it had been every other lap. Hitting it at a slightly higher speed upset the balance more than I was used to. When this happened, I pulled off throttle and got right back on it. As soon as I let off, the weight transferred to the front. I immediately hammered down, spinning the back tires. At the angle we were at, the backend spun around, sending me into the grass.

*Side note, for the vast majority of 03/01 and 03/02, I got to third gear and left it there the whole lap.

Here is the video, if you want to see me leave the track at a rapid pace….
https://youtu.be/9b7edQQVkDU?si=nmgDdKiRskwLkDln

On 03/29, I did start shifting gears more. There is a video showing Session 4, in the Best Laps thread. I shaved nearly two seconds off, versus my best 03/92 time.
1995 Buick Roadmaster Estate
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 08:13 PM   #11
italia366

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
Your aim with corner exits is to slowly add throttle as you unwind the steering wheel (think of a string being attached between the steering wheel and throttle). When you have a bunch of steering angle coming out of a corner, PTM dry will actually retard the power more than if you just had the car in regular Track mode (remember, regular modes will give you full power until the rear wheels start to slip). But PTM modes are a safer approach for corner exits until you learn how to apply power smoothly. You don't want to be going through a corner apex at 60mph, apply too much throttle to quickly and have the car start to spin on you.

With regard to your question about the level of stability control that you'll have with PTM Sport1 and (apparently) PTM Dry, it's still turned on, but it will allow the car to start to rotate (yaw) at a faster rate (at any point in the corner) before it intervenes. The standard stablity control (full on) setting will prioritize stability and always want to keep the rear wheels following directly behind the front, which will generally mean understeer. When you get a little more comfortable with the 1LE handling, you'll likely appreciate being able to rotate the car with more than just the steering wheel (trail braking or throttle steering) and the more relaxed stability control will allow for some of this before intervening.

I don't think you asked, but you'll also want to be aware of tire pressures. I suggest you start at 30 for the start of the 1st session and aim for "hot" target pressures of 36 at all 4 corners by the time you reach the end of a session. Have the DIC display set to show tire pressures and note how pressures are climbing during the session. If you end the session above the "hot target" temp, lower the pressure at the appropriate corner by the number of lbs you were over (so if the front left tire finished at 38, drop 2 lbs from that tire before the start of the next session). And dont' forget to air your tires back up for street driving at the end of the day!
Thanks man, appreciate the note about the pressures as well.

In regards to your note about tracking out, I started using trail braking and throttle steering the last time I was on track (moved into intermediate last event which is when they started teaching that stuff). But definitely gonna need to get used to the 1LE compared to my prev car
Old 04-02-2024, 08:18 PM   #12
N Camarolina

Welcome to the forum and tracking!

That's quite a technical little track you are driving. Mostly tight corners and short straights, but quite a lot of elevation change. That elevation change with crests and off camber corners can make for a lot of things to learn out of the gate for a novice.

If I could make a few suggestions to help you:

1) Always have at least maintenance throttle when you go over crests and off cambers, as it will help keep the rear end planted and prevent spins

2) When you are exiting corners from the apex, add throttle slowly and smoothly as you unwind the steering wheel. Applying to much too soon will result in breaking the rear tires loose and a possible spin if you aren't able to catch it quickly.

3) Driving with all nannies off can be helpful for learning (so you aren't developing bad habits by having the nannies save you all the time), but it also means that you need to have good car control skills (know the steps the save a car from excess yaw and prevent a spin) if you want to keep your Camaro away from the trackside barriers.
Old 04-02-2024, 08:24 PM   #13
N Camarolina

Quote:
Thanks man, appreciate the note about the pressures as well.

In regards to your note about tracking out, I started using trail braking and throttle steering the last time I was on track (moved into intermediate last event which is when they started teaching that stuff). But definitely gonna need to get used to the 1LE compared to my prev car
If you do trail braking really well, the 1LE will pivot smoothly on a dime with very little steering input. But getting it to that consistently (your essentially have the front tires at maximum load and are just slightly exceeding the grip of the rear tires), is difficult. I've managed it a few times, but it remains largely elusive.

Just be prepared for under and over steer going into the corner as you practice. Choose a corner that has a lot of run-off area so if you screw up you won't hit a barrier. And make sure there is plenty of room between the car in front and behind you.
Old 04-03-2024, 08:01 PM   #14
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Name:  performance parameters.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  149.2 KB
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote