The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-25-2018, 02:10 PM   #15
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
People who claim to get 30 mpg in their V8.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:39 PM   #16
h422694

Drives: '16 Z06 7 Spd, 2024 High Country HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
People who claim to get 30 mpg in their V8.
Seriously? Do a little research on the LS3 in C6 Corvettes. It was not real difficult to get 30+on a trip. One of the car mags even averaged it for a full tank of fuel. SMHLOL
h422694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:43 PM   #17
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by h422694 View Post
Seriously? Do a little research on the LS3 in C6 Corvettes. It was not real difficult to get 30+on a trip. One of the car mags even averaged it for a full tank of fuel. SMHLOL
^aha! Another pet peeve. We all know about Corvette mileage, but since this is a Camaro forum, i have to believe he was talking Camaros, not Corvettes.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:59 PM   #18
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2K+1LE View Post
I hate the stupid questions that have been answered 1000x, but more than that I can't really stand the fact that this forum does everything it can to discourage great content that is borne out of passionate discussion. You simply aren't allowed to stand up for yourself, correct someone when they are wrong... and as a result misinformation and opinions are passed along as fact.

Really has to suck for the lesser-educated that don't know any better and can't really discern what is valid and what isn't. Passion is key, enthusiasm is passion... doing anything to stifle that doesn't help improve the community imo.

...and I'll just await my ban for posting this.
Nothing in the rules says you can't stand up for yourself. But standing up for yourself doesn't mean tearing the other guy down via name calling or being dismissive of who they are (or who you think they are). Those things have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with whether a fact is true or not (and what most people were doing in the name of 'standing up for themselves' when we infract them). If there is a disagreement about the facts, go over the sources for those facts providing arguments and counter-arguments to justify (or deny) their validity. Repeat ad nauseam (or until agreement is reached). Unless it becomes obvious that the person is simply a troll out to get a rise out of people, in which case report them and the site staff will review things.

If its an argument over an opinion? Don't bother, because an opinion can't be wrong. Opinions are simply what someone thinks. Like if someone says 'I hate sunflowers' its pretty hard to justify saying they're wrong. On the other hand, the facts used to form an opinion can be incorrect. Like if someone says 'I hate sunflowers because they swim too fast', they may have (inexplicably) confused sunflowers with sailfish. Again, establish what is fact (in this case, that sunflowers cannot actually swim, since they're plants that grow on land) ... and ignore someones personal preference.

And always keep in mind that you could be wrong. Its perfectly fine, best really, to admit it when you realize it and then move on. Continuing an argument just to 'win' is beyond pointless: you're playing by rules that nobody else knows about & you're the only one keeping score anyway.

Its not easy, but its infinitely more effective at getting people to actually listen -whether its the person you're actively arguing with or everyone else that is a witness to it. It may seem dispasionate, but too often people get caught up in the notion that what matters is the volume of their words -forgetting that volume, in this context, has 2 meanings. They assume that it has to be a shouting match (because those are always passionate), but forget that spending an hour or two quietly researching and rewording a post also means that you must care a great deal.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:01 PM   #19
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
^aha! Another pet peeve. We all know about Corvette mileage, but since this is a Camaro forum, i have to believe he was talking Camaros, not Corvettes.
Its 2 Camaro forums (5 & 6) and a Corvette forum (7). Everybody shares the 'Members Area' group of sub-forums.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:31 PM   #20
S2K+1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 17 SS 1LE | 07 S2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Nothing in the rules says you can't stand up for yourself. But standing up for yourself doesn't mean tearing the other guy down via name calling or being dismissive of who they are (or who you think they are). Those things have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with whether a fact is true or not (and what most people were doing in the name of 'standing up for themselves' when we infract them). If there is a disagreement about the facts, go over the sources for those facts providing arguments and counter-arguments to justify (or deny) their validity. Repeat ad nauseam (or until agreement is reached). Unless it becomes obvious that the person is simply a troll out to get a rise out of people, in which case report them and the site staff will review things.

If its an argument over an opinion? Don't bother, because an opinion can't be wrong. Opinions are simply what someone thinks. Like if someone says 'I hate sunflowers' its pretty hard to justify saying they're wrong. On the other hand, the facts used to form an opinion can be incorrect. Like if someone says 'I hate sunflowers because they swim too fast', they may have (inexplicably) confused sunflowers with sailfish. Again, establish what is fact (in this case, that sunflowers cannot actually swim, since they're plants that grow on land) ... and ignore someones personal preference.

And always keep in mind that you could be wrong. Its perfectly fine, best really, to admit it when you realize it and then move on. Continuing an argument just to 'win' is beyond pointless: you're playing by rules that nobody else knows about & you're the only one keeping score anyway.

Its not easy, but its infinitely more effective at getting people to actually listen -whether its the person you're actively arguing with or everyone else that is a witness to it. It may seem dispasionate, but too often people get caught up in the notion that what matters is the volume of their words -forgetting that volume, in this context, has 2 meanings. They assume that it has to be a shouting match (because those are always passionate), but forget that spending an hour or two quietly researching and rewording a post also means that you must care a great deal.

Great theory, but there are very obvious prejudices in the practice thereof.

It's not what you know... it's who you know, or suck up to.. it seems. This isn't an absolute, just an observation... an unliked sunflower, if you will.
S2K+1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:42 PM   #21
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
One of my biggest pet peeves are the people that ask for help or post a complaint without giving enough details or background.

Another are those that start a thread and abandon it without a follow-up about whether the issue was resolved or not.

As far as this forum on the whole, it's probably one of the most liberal (in terms of moderation)I've ever been a member of. On past forums, even a hint of a disagreement would result in thread closure, deletion or member reprimands. I'm sure the maturity level has something to do with it, but it's refreshing to see.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:14 PM   #22
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Drives: 2022 ZL1 A10
I do not have a pet peeve. However, I do have a worry.. there are some VERY knowledgeable Camaro5 people on this forum. I feel more comfortable asking technical questions here than my dealership. But I have noticed the technical posts, modifications, etc are decreasing. I hope we don't lose the people with all that knowledgeable information and they remain active forum members.

I would like to thank those who have contributed technically, mechanically, with details on build info, etc.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:35 PM   #23
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetRage320 View Post
I do not have a pet peeve. However, I do have a worry.. there are some VERY knowledgeable Camaro5 people on this forum. I feel more comfortable asking technical questions here than my dealership. But I have noticed the technical posts, modifications, etc are decreasing. I hope we don't lose the people with all that knowledgeable information and they remain active forum members.

I would like to thank those who have contributed technically, mechanically, with details on build info, etc.
I’ve yet to not find information I’ve needed. I believe the forum has almost reached a plateau of information about the 5th gen. It’s a virtual tech manual.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:02 PM   #24
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetRage320 View Post

It’s a shame. Knowledge that is painfully needed as the 5th gen ages. Many moved on to a Corvette or a Challenger. Maybe even a Rustang, because we know they didn’t buy that abomination 6th gen Camaro.

Squawk.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:18 PM   #25
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
It’s a shame. Knowledge that is painfully needed as the 5th gen ages. Many moved on to a Corvette or a Challenger. Maybe even a Rustang, because we know they didn’t buy that abomination 6th gen Camaro.

Squawk.
Forget the shot over the bow. That was a surgical strike.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:55 PM   #26
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
I forgot to add Roll Tide!

Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:29 AM   #27
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
I believe you are right.But I'll go back and research to be sure.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:40 AM   #28
metrogdor22

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
THE GUY WHO'S UNAWARE OF THE CAPS LOCK KEY HAS A SIGNATURE LONGER THAN THE POST AND CANT USE PUNCTUATION,,, HATE TO SAY IT BUT I SEE THIS A LOT IN CAMARO/CORVETTE FORUMS,,,

THANKS
DAN

__________________________________________________ ________________

"Before you pick up a wrench, check the loose nut behind the wheel" - Unknown

"Don't attempt to come down to the level of an idiot - they're better at it than you" - Mark Twain

2010 Camaro RS - [Insert unnecessarily long list of every nut changed on the car, including the brand]

2011 Ford Escape - The Daily Driver

2005 G8 - BIG NASTY - SOLD

2000 Firebird - The Bandit

1986 Ford Mustang - BIGGEST SHIT PILE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!