Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-29-2023, 02:34 AM   #1
Toronto

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Post Low WHP Number after h/c/i

solved solved solved closed

Last edited by Toronto; 08-04-2023 at 01:16 AM. Reason: non
Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 04:23 AM   #2
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Hello from Lockport, NY! I am about 50 miles from you across the lake. I am not sure how much heat & humidity rob but my "butt" dyno notices a difference. I loaded the 1st tune in my new motor back in March when it was in the 60's & about 30% humidity. Back then it was nearly impossible to get Ryan Stevens any wot data on street tires. As the heat & humidity rose through May I was finally able to ease it to wot briefly. Now that we are seeing 90 degree days with 70% humidity the difference is night & day. Next week we get a break in the weather with a nice drop in humidity. See how it reacts then. These motors (or any others) do not like ingesting water.
2013 2SS GPI built & tuned 415, spec'd by Andrew Cammer. GPI ported intake/tb/heads, Tooley springs, CHE trunnions, Callies rotating assembly, Diamond pistons, GPI SS3 VVT, ATI 10% ud damper, Circle D 3800, Kooks ceramic coated lt's with green cats, Mishimoto rad & oil cooler, Derale trans cooler, Holley efi rails.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 04:24 AM   #3
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I wouldn't get hung up on the numbers. Like you said there are so many things involved like temps, converter, and other things it's almost impossible to compare to others numbers. Maybe the tuner didn't put the highest timing in it that it wanted or maybe he didn't give you a max effort tune and got you in a safe tune, who knows. I once cammed my Camaro a few years back and wasn't happy with the results so I took it to another tuner and he got me almost 30 more whp. So, unless you know how to tune your at the mercy of the tuner. If you have the tune you can post it and I could take a look at it to see exactly what he did and give you a so called review. Other than that I guess I would ask you does it feel fast?
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 04:46 AM   #4
acutron42

That is a really good point MPJ. If the tuner was seeing knock data in those conditions it's probably dialed down.
2013 2SS GPI built & tuned 415, spec'd by Andrew Cammer. GPI ported intake/tb/heads, Tooley springs, CHE trunnions, Callies rotating assembly, Diamond pistons, GPI SS3 VVT, ATI 10% ud damper, Circle D 3800, Kooks ceramic coated lt's with green cats, Mishimoto rad & oil cooler, Derale trans cooler, Holley efi rails.
Old 07-29-2023, 09:29 AM   #5
Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
I wouldn't get hung up on the numbers. Like you said there are so many things involved like temps, converter, and other things it's almost impossible to compare to others numbers. Maybe the tuner didn't put the highest timing in it that it wanted or maybe he didn't give you a max effort tune and got you in a safe tune, who knows. I once cammed my Camaro a few years back and wasn't happy with the results so I took it to another tuner and he got me almost 30 more whp. So, unless you know how to tune your at the mercy of the tuner. If you have the tune you can post it and I could take a look at it to see exactly what he did and give you a so called review. Other than that I guess I would ask you does it feel fast?

Yea i mean i paid a really pretty penny at Champion Motors wouldn’t really wanna bring it to another tuner to get more power. Will Champion even share the tune? What do i even ask for?

Thanks,
Old 07-29-2023, 09:30 AM   #6
Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by acutron42 View Post
That is a really good point MPJ. If the tuner was seeing knock data in those conditions it's probably dialed down.

Yep. So when it’s cooler (preferably at night, when i drive this car most) will i feel a significant difference?
Old 07-29-2023, 09:31 AM   #7
Risingson05

Drives: 2015 zl1 m6
Throw a supercharger on it
Old 07-29-2023, 09:32 AM   #8
Toronto

Quote:
Hello from Lockport, NY! I am about 50 miles from you across the lake. I am not sure how much heat & humidity rob but my "butt" dyno notices a difference. I loaded the 1st tune in my new motor back in March when it was in the 60's & about 30% humidity. Back then it was nearly impossible to get Ryan Stevens any wot data on street tires. As the heat & humidity rose through May I was finally able to ease it to wot briefly. Now that we are seeing 90 degree days with 70% humidity the difference is night & day. Next week we get a break in the weather with a nice drop in humidity. See how it reacts then. These motors (or any others) do not like ingesting water.

Cool. Yea Honestly i’m going to talk to Rob and see what can be worked out. Reality is without an adjustment in tune when it’s cooler i won’t be able to see a difference.
Old 07-29-2023, 09:34 AM   #9
Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risingson05 View Post
Throw a supercharger on it

LOL FI is tempting bro! just need that ZL1 fuel pump & bigger injectors!

Maybe down the line but i’m sure i’m gonna be happy staying NA.
Old 07-29-2023, 09:43 AM   #10
Risingson05

Drives: 2015 zl1 m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto View Post
LOL FI is tempting bro! just need that ZL1 fuel pump & bigger injectors!

Maybe down the line but i’m sure i’m gonna be happy staying NA.
What plugs you running ? Did your tuner have you change ti colder plug ?
How about a 160deg thermostat? Do you know if your car was pulling timing on the top end ?
Old 07-29-2023, 10:36 AM   #11
acutron42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto View Post
Yep. So when it’s cooler (preferably at night, when i drive this car most) will i feel a significant difference?
I think you will notice that it is more responsive to temp/humidity swings once you drive it for for awhile & get used to how it reacts in different conditions. See if you tuner can send you a log & if so post it in the tuning section. I really liked going the remote tune method from GPI with HP tuners as I have learned a bit along the way & can see all the vitals.
Old 07-29-2023, 11:23 AM   #12
Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risingson05 View Post
What plugs you running ? Did your tuner have you change ti colder plug ?
How about a 160deg thermostat? Do you know if your car was pulling timing on the top end ?

yes spark plugs were done. i’m sure they installed colder plugs.

i didn’t grab a thermostat. I really didn’t think it makes a world of a difference.

No idea about timing.

what questions should i be asking?
Old 07-29-2023, 11:24 AM   #13
Toronto

Quote:
I think you will notice that it is more responsive to temp/humidity swings once you drive it for for awhile & get used to how it reacts in different conditions. See if you tuner can send you a log & if so post it in the tuning section. I really liked going the remote tune method from GPI with HP tuners as I have learned a bit along the way & can see all the vitals.

awesome yea i’ll ask if it’s available.

if i do get it i’ll go ahead and tag you in the thread.
Old 07-29-2023, 11:43 AM   #14
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Your best bet would be to get the tune file. If you have hp tuners then you can pull the tune right from your obd port. That way we can see what they have done to the timing.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
champion motors, dyno, h/c/i, whp, whp number