The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 09-11-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Z51 AND MAGNETIC SELECTIVE RIDE CONTROL

Ok, so... now I am in the market for another car/track vehicle and have a couple questions....

I obviously would be getting the Z51 package, but does adding the the MRSC seem to be pointless? By adding the MRSC does that get rid of the (FE3) Z51 performance suspension, specific shocks, springs and stabilizer bars?

Is adding the MRSC even needed?

In comparing the camaro... the ZL1 has the MRS and the 1LE has "normal" shocks and the 1LE handles the track better correct?
Old 09-11-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
A good question. First, the sway bars and everything else stays Z51 spec regardless of which shock you choose. As for mag ride versus non, here's some food for thought:

I just returned from 2 days at Ron Fellows Performance Driving School. They have all Z51 cars with both shocks, and I had opportunity to drive both on the track. First observation, mag ride in Track mode is uncomfortably firm, to the point of mildly harsh. Non-mag is noticeably softer but by no means poor on the track. It just has a touch more body roll, and is a little easier on driver comfort. When asked which the school's instructors personally prefer, they all chose non-mag shocks. They actually have a slightly better feel for what the car is doing without mag-ride.

My personal experience level certainly isn't up to theirs, but I too felt I had better control overall without mag ride. To me it seemed more predictable with the hydraulic shocks. My personal Stingray is a Z51 without mag ride, and I definitely made the right choice - for me. I would suggest trying to find a couple of local owners who would be willing to let you feel the difference for yourself, even if just on some twisty local roads. That would be the best way to make your decision.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:40 PM   #3
Bulos

Drives: 2015 Z51 2LT CRM & 2006 Scion TC
My car will be built next week and I ordered Z51 sans MRC my big concern was that it had the potential for becoming a potential expensive repair and I have no intention of doing any track racing just wanted a cool street machine. . After reading your post I'm glad I did omit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleRac3r View Post
A good question. First, the sway bars and everything else stays Z51 spec regardless of which shock you choose. As for mag ride versus non, here's some food for thought:

I just returned from 2 days at Ron Fellows Performance Driving School. They have all Z51 cars with both shocks, and I had opportunity to drive both on the track. First observation, mag ride in Track mode is uncomfortably firm, to the point of mildly harsh. Non-mag is noticeably softer but by no means poor on the track. It just has a touch more body roll, and is a little easier on driver comfort. When asked which the school's instructors personally prefer, they all chose non-mag shocks. They actually have a slightly better feel for what the car is doing without mag-ride.

My personal experience level certainly isn't up to theirs, but I too felt I had better control overall without mag ride. To me it seemed more predictable with the hydraulic shocks. My personal Stingray is a Z51 without mag ride, and I definitely made the right choice - for me. I would suggest trying to find a couple of local owners who would be willing to let you feel the difference for yourself, even if just on some twisty local roads. That would be the best way to make your decision.
Bulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:18 AM   #4
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '23 Charger GT, '23 Stingray
I had a ZL1 with magnetic ride.

Drove a C7 without it.

Ordered my C7 with it.

I wouldn't be without it.

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:45 AM   #5
asptroopa1
asptroopa1

Drives: 2014 Corvette
MRC- I wouldn't be without it. ........makes the car
asptroopa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:59 AM   #6
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
My 2 cents... based on my own personal experience and I occasionally do autocross & HPDE events in my cars.

I had a non-MSRC Z51 coupe for 8 months and it handles great with its FE3 suspension and it's still a very good sports car to push hard and/or drive daily. Since June of this year, I now have a Z51 + MSRC convertible. Hands down, it takes the Z51-suspension to another level and versatility.

Moving forward, MSRC is preferred for me not just for the firmness in handling & balance but also for its adjustability... whether to dial down the damping when in Touring, Eco, or Weather mode or to stiffen it up via Sport mode and especially in Track mode. So for $1795 extra it's a no brainer decision and well worth the price of admission.

The C7 is so awesome in any spec... so in short my opinion is: Without MSRC you really won't miss it, but with MSRC you'll truly fall in love with it.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #7
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
But then the Z28 left the MRSC...... what does the new ZO6 use?
Old 09-12-2014, 03:17 PM   #8
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '23 Charger GT, '23 Stingray
The Z/28 dropped magnetic ride to save weight.

It will be an option on the Z06.

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:02 PM   #9
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
MSRC is standard on all Z06 trim levels... 1LZ included.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:39 AM   #10
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
mine is not getting it. i have this kind of stuff in my current car. Where you can make it stiff and soft. honestly i think its pretty cool tech, but i want less tech.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:17 AM   #11
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
I don't deny the flexibility, convenience and technology that goes with mag ride. It all boils down to personal preference. And future maintenance: if you plan to keep the car for many years, you will eventually have to replace the MRC shocks to the tune of $1000 or more EACH. If you intend to sell the car in 3-4 years its not much of an issue.

As an alternate, one can always get the non-mag ride and install manually adjustable shocks such as QA1. Not as convenient as mag ride's push button tech, but more flexible than stock shocks. I have them on my '74 Stingray and they work great.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:13 PM   #12
Bulos

Drives: 2015 Z51 2LT CRM & 2006 Scion TC
I concur. In 68 my brother had a 66 427 roadster 4 speed part of the fun in driving it was that it was in some ways crude if that makes any sense? I want my 2015 to be at least a little rough and basic hence no MRC and a 7 Speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
mine is not getting it. i have this kind of stuff in my current car. Where you can make it stiff and soft. honestly i think its pretty cool tech, but i want less tech.
Bulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:22 PM   #13
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulos View Post
I concur. In 68 my brother had a 66 427 roadster 4 speed part of the fun in driving it was that it was in some ways crude if that makes any sense? I want my 2015 to be at least a little rough and basic hence no MRC and a 7 Speed.
that what i am saying. in a age where everything is getting so complex. I like a nice pushrod V8 with a manual gearbox
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:46 PM   #14
SantaRay

Drives: 2015's Conv. Z06 3LZ, & Z51, 3LTZ
"shocking" Differnence

Name:  msrc.jpg
Views: 4778
Size:  153.6 KB

Look at the rear wheels. Same spot on the track, same speed, model etc... One with MSRC and one without. This picture is in the October edition of corvette magazine. I like flying, but I do not like being airborne in my Corvette! (I have no idea how to rotate the image. It did that when I uploaded it...)
SantaRay is offline   Reply With Quote