Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-28-2018, 11:11 AM   #29
ToeKnee Sea

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
who would do such a thing?
ToeKnee Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:56 AM   #30
dohvb1

Drives: 2018 Hot Wheels Camaro 2SS
SS owners(me included) have a downgraded V8(from the ZL1). Probably for the same reasons(cost, insurance, drivability) as the V6 guys, we chose the downgraded V8, so why so judgemental.

Last edited by dohvb1; 11-28-2018 at 12:31 PM.
dohvb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:15 PM   #31
bturner2

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue, Sunroof, NPP, MRC
What???? How do you figure? Your 6th Gen SS V8 is a downgrade from what? Or am I just not getting what you're saying here? I can see someone having issues with insurance because of age or stupidity, cost because they can't afford what they want but driveability? What does that even mean in terms of V6 versus V8 options?

As Mario stated in his post, I also tried the sensible car thing with a 2013 Fusion. Was miserable driving what ended up being a rental car experience for me. Don't get me wrong, the car itself was a very good car. It was reliable, cheap to insure and the performance was acceptable however it left me not feeling anything about driving or owning it. After three years I didn't even want to bother washing it anymore other than to take it through a car wash. Driving, which was once something I actually looked forward to turned into something I did out of necessity.

Not saying this isn't something you can't appreciate with a 4 or 6 banger Camaro but there is something to say about going big. The car with a V8 is an absolute beast when you let it run.

And for those that say there isn't anyplace to enjoy the power of the V8, IMO you must not be doing something right. Just because you can't take the car up to 120 everyday doesn't mean you can't hop on it a bit somewhere appropriate and safe. There isn't a day I go out in my SS that I don't appreciate the performance that has been built into the car.

Last edited by bturner2; 11-28-2018 at 12:26 PM.
bturner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:27 PM   #32
CoolbreezeNJ

Drives: '18 Hotwheels 2SS
I would think re-sale value of a V6 would really hurt compared with the V8.
CoolbreezeNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:59 PM   #33
dohvb1

Drives: 2018 Hot Wheels Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
What???? How do you figure? Your 6th Gen SS V8 is a downgrade from what? Or am I just not getting what you're saying here? I can see someone having issues with insurance because of age or stupidity, cost because they can't afford what they want but driveability? What does that even mean in terms of V6 versus V8 options?
Sorry I edited mine to clarify. SS owners have a downgraded V8 compared to the ZL1. I imagine many people who "settled" for an SS did so for the same reasons people go for the V6. I would love to have a ZL1 but the extra cost and insurance(got a 16 yr old) made it not possible. So why should I criticize someones decision to only get a V6 when they might have the same reasons I had.

As far as driveability, some people think 455 HP(let alone 650) is pointless and too excessive for daily use. I'm not one of those, but if someone is, that's their choice.
dohvb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:20 PM   #34
CamaroChriSS

Drives: 16 1SS M6 Black -previous 00 Z28 M6
I had a 2000 Z28 6 speed and wanted to upgrade to a 6th gen. Never considered the V6 and simply waited until I could find a crazy deal on an 8 to make it work (scored a manual 1SS with NPP for 30, so the cost of a lightly optioned V6). This is ridiculous and shallow and totally impractical, I know, but the main reason is the sound - I loved the sound of my Z, and while there are some great sounding sixes, nothing could come close to the sound of a V8 to me.

However, if that carries less weight in your mind, I don't see why you couldn't go to a six. I will likely never use (or at least need to use) all 455hp, and while I am fortunate enough to have a short commute and great insurance, I can totally understand someone who needs to factor in gas savings going with the V6.
CamaroChriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:39 PM   #35
gaveup

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 M6
I think the fact you're calling it a "downgrade" implies a bunch of negativity from the start. There's a lot of egos going on where owners of the same car look down on other owners of the same car. Some people cant afford (or don't want to pay) the cost for higher models.

To some, people would say me getting my 1LE was a downgrade from my 2017 golf R because my golf would have destroyed my 1LE from a dig. It's all perspective.
gaveup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:39 PM   #36
Snrub

Drives: Gone: 2017 Camaro SS
A lot of SS+ owners seem to think chassis, steering, suspension goodness isn't baked in the smaller engine cars. Suffering in a run of the mill car is completely different than simply having less power and a different sound. Let's not forget, a 6th Gen I4/V6 1LE roasted the regular 5th Gen SS in C&D's lightning lap.

There is a lot of V8 snobbery on this forum. If you only wanted a V8, did you cross shop pickup trucks?
Snrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:34 PM   #37
Cmax

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS FIFTY convertible
I have had V8 in all my vehicles long before Barry changed his name to Barack.
I have driven many 6 cyl cars over the years, and what I notice most is the lack of torque. By yourself in the car you have pretty good power. Very noticeable drop in power with just one passenger.
I’m 6’5” 290 and have a buddy my size. I took him for a spin, and was afraid the FIFTY would cough up a piston with two old linemen in it. Nope. If anything, the exhaust roared even more with the need for more torque, and slammed us against the seat backs.
I’m a V8 guy until I can get an electric with more torque fake borla sounds in the speakers....

Last edited by Cmax; 11-29-2018 at 05:57 AM.
Cmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:05 PM   #38
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmax View Post
I have had V8 in all my vehicles long before Barry changed his name to Barack.
I have driven many 6 cyl cars over the years, and what I notice most is the lack of torque. By yourself in the car you have pretty good power. Very noticeable drop in power with just one passenger.
Very true and no V8 snobbery. Here are wifey's reactions to my Camaros when I floored it in a 25 roll, sums this up really well.

Gen6 V6: "nice, runs good"
Gen6 SS: "wow, this is fast"
Gen6 SS with the Maggie: "stooop nooow, I'm gonna puke"

To each their own, the V6 is an excellent car and I can totally see how people love it and are impressed. Not me though, I wanted that torque and the immediacy it carries.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:39 PM   #39
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
My first car was a used '87 Camaro Z28 in good condition...loved that thing. Then I bought a 1995 Trans Am from a friend and modded the LT1 and it put down 340 rwhp with the 6 speed...I then bought a 2007 MazdaSpeed3 brand new off the lot...I drove that thing without looking back for 11.5 years, just sold it last week and bought a new 2018 Mustang GT Premium with the A10, performance package 1, MagneDrive, and all the safety bells and whistles. The Trans Am was fast for its day; the Speed3 was fun as heck to drive, quick, and handled very well, and with that turbo, pretty quick as well (although not in the same league in acceleration as the Trans Am). And I could carry a ton of things in the hatch with the seats folded down. I put a CAI, tune, and 3" race pipe on the Speed3 so it had about 300 hp (at the crank) and weighed 3140 lbs, with a 6 speed. I didn't regret going from a V8 to a powerful turbocharged 4 cyl. I would have regretted it if it wasn't a fun, fast car, though. Now, I'm certainly glad to have a powerful V8 again. That Gen 3 Coyote 5.0 sounds glorious.
Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:51 PM   #40
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Ah, don't assume that I have any snobbery about the V8. Maybe some in this thread, but not me. My asking about "down-grading" is purely curiosity. I know perfectly well they're all great cars. Occasionally I just think having a 4 or 6 would actually be MORE fun and I'm wondering if anyone has tried the experiment, of getting rid of their V8 and going with a smaller engine. I really want to drive a V6 1LE and just rev it out because I don't get to DO that with my SS. You just can't. And it's kind of frustrating. Would that frustration actually cause me to downsize? I don't know. That's why I'm asking.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:17 AM   #41
soldes

Drives: car
It's more related to downgrading in horsepower/torque (and sound) then downgrading in displacement. And yes, I downgraded from a V8 to a T4. If the government didn't make it ridiculously expensive to own/maintain and drive V8's for the middle class over here I would still be driving one… Am I happy while driving the T4 Camaro, yes. Do I want/miss the V8 sound & torque? Hell yes!
soldes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:04 AM   #42
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post

As Mario stated in his post, I also tried the sensible car thing with a 2013 Fusion. Was miserable driving what ended up being a rental car experience for me. Don't get me wrong, the car itself was a very good car. It was reliable, cheap to insure and the performance was acceptable however it left me not feeling anything about driving or owning it. After three years I didn't even want to bother washing it anymore other than to take it through a car wash. Driving, which was once something I actually looked forward to turned into something I did out of necessity.

Not saying this isn't something you can't appreciate with a 4 or 6 banger Camaro but there is something to say about going big. The car with a V8 is an absolute beast when you let it run.

And for those that say there isn't anyplace to enjoy the power of the V8, IMO you must not be doing something right. Just because you can't take the car up to 120 everyday doesn't mean you can't hop on it a bit somewhere appropriate and safe. There isn't a day I go out in my SS that I don't appreciate the performance that has been built into the car.
i bought my 6 cylinder because i no longer drive like i used to when i had my old musclecar (big block pontiac,headers,duals,judge intake and carb,and 3/4 race cam.)used to race almost daily,140 mph was a weekly occurence.it takes some of the fun out of it when 3 cop cars stop you on the way to work running 125 in a 55.at 3 a.m. on a deserted road.im ok with getting off the stoplight quicker than most of the cars on the road,and my RS is more comfortable,quieter and more capable in many ways than the old pontiac was.i havent even checked the claimed 155 top speed yet,and ive had it 3 years,guess im getting old.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote