The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-05-2018, 08:54 AM   #5755
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
How long would it take and how much would it cost to equip every road in America with the appropriate sensors? It does sound more practical than just the car trying as weather shuts down a lot of the technology. Also what are the costs on making the cars relatively safe from hacking?
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:27 AM   #5756

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
If you wait a few secs after going to the website, on the right side after the short ad, there is a five minute video of the Caddy and the system being driven in the rain...

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/t...-reports-test/

Scroll down afterwards and there are more good subjects on Honda/Gm, Tesla, etc....Pretty nice web-site, actually...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:54 AM   #5757
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/10/03/...ax-spy-photos/

2020 Trax.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:53 PM   #5758
FenwickHockey65

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/top...-public-roads/

2020 Full size SUVs.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:56 PM   #5759
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Seems like someone on the camo team at GM likes disguising things as Dodges. Looks like a (fake) crosshair grill up there.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:16 PM   #5760
FenwickHockey65

Well it was Ford for the K2 trucks.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:32 PM   #5761
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
By the time Level 4 / Level 5 Autonomous become commonplace, cars will communicate with roads / lanes through satellite GPS instead of camera and will communicate to other cars via transponders in addition to radar and LIDAR. So, a commonplace scenario could be that at Mile Marker 21, a human driven car hits a deer...Assuming the driver slammed the brakes, the transponder in that car would send out a signal telling all the cars around it “I just slammed my brakes”. Even if that car doesn’t have a transponder, if any of the cars approaching that scene slams their brakes, their transponder(s) will send a signal to other cars in the area “Hey!! I just slammed my brakes and slowed from 72 mph to 4 mph. Be aware”. So the autonomous car approaching from Mile Marker 20 has more than ample notification that “something is going on at Mile Marker 21 that will have you brake to a stop”.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
How long would it take and how much would it cost to equip every road in America with the appropriate sensors? It does sound more practical than just the car trying as weather shuts down a lot of the technology. Also what are the costs on making the cars relatively safe from hacking?
Not sure if your road sensor question was directed to me, so I copied my last post above. The transponders that I am referring to are in other cars on the road. Even non-autonomous cars can/will have equipment on-board that facilitates V2V (vehicle to vehicle) communication. Road transponders would be V2I (vehicle to infrastructure). There will be some of that too, so that autonomous cars know the status of traffic lights, etc.

Much of this is already in place. Any vehicle with OnStar has the essence of a transponder. It just needs to be capable of saying “I slammed my brakes” and transmitting that via near field communications. Then autonomous vehicles in the area would know that at a particular point in their field of travel, a vehicle had need to brake hard. Or if a car’s traction control is activated and the transponder transmits “hey, my traction control just activated...it’s slippery out here” an AV travel nearby would get the information that there are traction issues at some point.

Should also note that many non-AVs have traffic sign recognition capability today. This is more prevalent in Europe, where signs are more constant. Cameras on the car can read stop signs, detour signs, road closed signs, speed limit signs, etc.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:23 AM   #5762
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Not sure if your road sensor question was directed to me, so I copied my last post above. The transponders that I am referring to are in other cars on the road. Even non-autonomous cars can/will have equipment on-board that facilitates V2V (vehicle to vehicle) communication. Road transponders would be V2I (vehicle to infrastructure). There will be some of that too, so that autonomous cars know the status of traffic lights, etc.

Much of this is already in place. Any vehicle with OnStar has the essence of a transponder. It just needs to be capable of saying “I slammed my brakes” and transmitting that via near field communications. Then autonomous vehicles in the area would know that at a particular point in their field of travel, a vehicle had need to brake hard. Or if a car’s traction control is activated and the transponder transmits “hey, my traction control just activated...it’s slippery out here” an AV travel nearby would get the information that there are traction issues at some point.

Should also note that many non-AVs have traffic sign recognition capability today. This is more prevalent in Europe, where signs are more constant. Cameras on the car can read stop signs, detour signs, road closed signs, speed limit signs, etc.

The technology is available today and has been for 10 years. The primary issue is [vehicle manufacture] believe they need to own it and the rest of the world can bow down to them through royalties, patents and profits. It's never been about vehicle safety.

Toyota got tired of everyone else refusing to cooperate and started deploying the technology with Kymeta Corporation.

The military is currently using the technology, a partial example is "drone swarms".

The aviation community deployed the technology already and almost at 100% immersion.

The international shipping community also deployed the technology already.

The idea of a "camera" to read some random road sign is naive at best and simply irresponsibly negligent. Speed limits signs et al, are are data stored points of interest.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:57 AM   #5763
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
I was sure hoping they would leave them alone from the terrible side mirror placement of the truck's.

GM is on a roll of ruining the look of everything they make
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:42 PM   #5764
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
I was sure hoping they would leave them alone from the terrible side mirror placement of the truck's.

GM is on a roll of ruining the look of everything they make
Whats wrong with the mirrors?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 10-09-2018, 01:57 PM   #5765
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Nothing...
Old 10-09-2018, 02:01 PM   #5766
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
Nothing...
They left a blank spot at the lower front corner of the window where the mirrors used to be placed and mounted them directly to the body below the window-line.

They look terrible on the trucks, and these will be identical - I guess nothing if you like the 2019 Trucks, but then you probably like the 2019 Camaro refresh as well.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:21 PM   #5767
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
They left a blank spot at the lower front corner of the window where the mirrors used to be placed and mounted them directly to the body below the window-line.

They look terrible on the trucks, and these will be identical - I guess nothing if you like the 2019 Trucks, but then you probably like the 2019 Camaro refresh as well.
I fail to see how mounting the mirrors on a small angled stalk is some horrible abomination while mounting an otherwise identical mirror straight out is beauty incarnate. Everyone has their preferences, but you are possibly the first person that I've heard form a strong opinion (one way or the other) about the manner in which a side mirror gets mounted to the door.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 10-09-2018, 02:38 PM   #5768
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
I fail to see how mounting the mirrors on a small angled stalk is some horrible abomination while mounting an otherwise identical mirror straight out is beauty incarnate. Everyone has their preferences, but you are possibly the first person that I've heard form a strong opinion (one way or the other) about the manner in which a side mirror gets mounted to the door.
I mean, I kinda agree with NW-99SS.

It does look tacked on. Like late in the development process they said "just move them down, now, cheap." Double sided automotive tape should handle that.
Attached Images

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost