The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes

Old 03-16-2014, 06:55 AM   #1
emsguy

Drives: 2012 2ss convertible
Can you be too thin???

I want to mount the stock Z51 tires on Cray Brickyard wheels. No problem on the fronts. The rear wheel comes in two sizes I am looking at: 20 x 10.5 or 20 x 11. Trouble is that the stock tires show mounting rim widths of 9" - 10". I would rather use the stock tires and go to a wider tire when the OEM's wear out.
Any problem in mounting the tire on a rim wider than recommended by Michelin?
emsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
Lots of problems! The tires probably would no longer be warranted for one. Second, many tire shops won't even mount them, due to potential libility issues. Three, the sidewalls would be stretched out of their intended shape, causing potential air-tightness problems, and excessive strain on tire structure. Fourth, the built-in rims guards would not work as intended, being stretched out of shape. Fifth, you wouls lose a fair amiunt of your performance capability, since the tirecwoukd be stretched out of the intended shape. And finally, the exaggerated roundness looks silly on such a fine sports car! (It looks silly in all the cheap ricers I see running around with too-wide rims too!)

Either sell the stock tires and get the right size ones, or hold off installing the new wheels until you need new tires. Someone is bound to need a new set of tires for their C7 soon, and really, you spent all this money in such a spectacular car, why do the tires half-a$$ed?
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote