Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-15-2021, 10:08 AM   #1
Tucano

Drives: 1990 Suburban, 1992 Amigo
Known rust areas? Considering cars from up North

Hey all, have admired the 5th gen SS Camaros for a few years now and am finally in a position to buy.

I'm in Dallas but we get people/cars from all over the country passing thru here (even more so in the past few years).

Sometimes I'll spot a 5th gen from the rust belt but with fairly low mileage. Are there any underside areas I can check for clues of whether the car was garaged or driven during the winter (e.g. places where salt/debris is prone to accumulate or get trapped)?

In general, now that this generation has been out for over 10 years, have y'all begun to notice common areas for rust (regardless of geographic location)?

My adventures in owning old cars have made me especially wary of layered sheetmetal, and some manufacturers/generations seem to be much better about avoiding that kind engineering in their body panel design...
Tucano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:25 AM   #2
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Wisconsin can originally from IL, I use it as a DD. The only spot that is showing the first signs is at the pinch welds just behind front wheels.
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Valkyrie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:55 AM   #3
2013ZL1FUN

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible A6 BRM
Get a low mileage Z L 1 instead, chances are it would have been a 3 season hobby car and not a driven in the winter car.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:12 AM   #4
Tucano

Drives: 1990 Suburban, 1992 Amigo
NGL I considered a ZL1 for that reason, but overall doesn't appeal to me enough to be worth the extra fuel usage and maintenance needs including eventual s/c rebuild (yes I recognize the irony of this stance, given we're talking about V8 muscle cars).

Also I had heard the s/c's shape and location lead to some headaches when doing the clutch.
Tucano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:41 AM   #5
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Generally speaking, northern cars take the hit in the pinch welds and in the rear wheel wells. Surface flash rust isn't usually a problem - other than showing the previous owner was too lazy or cheap to flush the undercarriage occasionally.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:45 PM   #6
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
These cars don't rust like the old days. My '10 SS is now 12 years old and spent 7 winters
in Northern Ct. There's not a bit of body or undercarriage rust anywhere. Your concern
should be finding a 5th generation that's hasn't been the neighborhood donut queen.
Read some of the comments here to see what I mean.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:40 PM   #7
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
I’ve only seen one car on here that had any semi major rot out on the body. The factory didn’t get the seam sealer right in the top of one of the rear wheel Wells and it rusted out the sheet metal and needed a minor repair, there was another where there was some minor rust in the bottom of the engine crossmember, but now that the earlier cars are 12 years old, that’s pretty damn good odds, 2 cars is peanuts compared to all the cars on here.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:48 PM   #8
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Lots of Northeast Camaros, like mine for instance, are NEVER driven in road salt conditions.

How would you recognize such a car? Well, look under the car: there's no rust on any bolts, exhaust brackets, or even the subframe members, which have just a thin coat of black paint.

The underside of my 2010 looks mint. It has 77,000 miles and is routinely driven in the rain. It's all about putting the car away in time and keeping it away until all the salt has been washed away. That makes it a 6 month car, more or less.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:08 PM   #9
BuddyLee

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Pacific Northwest roads are salt free.
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:06 AM   #10
joekono

Drives: Camaro Convertible 2014 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Lots of Northeast Camaros, like mine for instance, are NEVER driven in road salt conditions.

How would you recognize such a car? Well, look under the car: there's no rust on any bolts, exhaust brackets, or even the subframe members, which have just a thin coat of black paint.

The underside of my 2010 looks mint. It has 77,000 miles and is routinely driven in the rain. It's all about putting the car away in time and keeping it away until all the salt has been washed away. That makes it a 6 month car, more or less.
So true!! Mine does this for a few months.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:17 AM   #11
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Guy View Post
Generally speaking, northern cars take the hit in the pinch welds and in the rear wheel wells. Surface flash rust isn't usually a problem - other than showing the previous owner was too lazy or cheap to flush the undercarriage occasionally.
I'm starting to get some on the rear fenders, just above/outside the wheel wells. I think the bumper cover rubbed through the paint, but I haven't investigated yet.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:26 AM   #12
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Guy View Post
I'm starting to get some on the rear fenders, just above/outside the wheel wells. I think the bumper cover rubbed through the paint, but I haven't investigated yet.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:01 AM   #13
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
mines a florida girl,she goes to the beach all the time...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:07 AM   #14
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
If it's low mileage it probably wasn't driven in the winter. They have good undercoating though. like others said between pinch welds you might see some. but if its just a little surface rust no worries. mine is an 11 and I see no rust anywhere but it doesn't see salt/winters and is garage kept.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote