The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 11-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Graphics Design/Animation Software Q's

Hey all. Bout to start school and trying to get some help with choosing a platform for my laptop as well as programs to run with it. I am interested in Linux but not sure what distro to run. Ubuntu is an option as well as Mint, but not too familiar with them. My main focus is Linux due to the fact that alot of major/minor studios such as Dreamworks Animation uses this. Also looking to which would be good software programs to use with Linux for 3D animation/graphic design. I like Autodesk Maya, Blender, and Ubuntu Studio but interested in knowing if anyone on here prefers one to another. I have plenty of time to discuss/choose since I am still working on my Associates Degree but would like to get familiar with one system pretty well before I start getting into my actual major. I know each school will teach/run a different program but I'd like to be "fluent" on this certain one. Hope I can get some input. Thanks.

Matt
Old 11-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
pyr0b0y
need....more....hp

Drives: The Neighbor Hater
Although I never used Linux for Graphic Design, I have used Maya and Blender on a PC. I picked up Maya pretty easy, mainly because it was from Autodesk and I was already using their other programs (Inventor and Solidworks). I also used 3DSMax, and enjoyed using that program for the most part.

Besides the fact that most companies use Linux, is there any other reason?

The animation companies I have looked into mainly use Maya, so I would say start with that. Autodesk has been around for a long time and their software is top notch. I cant comment on Blender because I only messed around with it a handful of times.

hope that helps!

Mast Motorsports Built LS3 Stroker 418, IPS GT35R Twin Turbos, Exedy GTO4XD Twin Disc Clutch, Aeromotive A1000 Eliminator Stealth Fuel Pump, AEM Meth Injection, DSS 1400hp Axels, BC Coilovers, Pfadt & BMR Suspension, Hawk HPS Pads, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Shifter, Custom Roll Cage by Blu808, T3 Ports, 22" Custom Concave Mesh Rims
pyr0b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Frid

Thanks for the quick reply! I agree with you completely. Dreamworks does use Autodesk Maya as well as personal programs. I am interested in Linux not just because of the software programs but I have been told it is generally alot faster and more secure than Windows. I can say the same for Mac (great for graphic design and secure) but since I want to shoot for my goal to work with one of those studios, I would like to be more familiar with the mainframe and software they use. It is even one of the requirements that they look for when applying for an internship/job. I would just like to be ahead of the game before I get to that point when I am ready to progress into a new career field I guess you could say.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Just go ahead and download Ubuntu. It's all free and open sourced so you can get most of the programs for it. I have a windows PC I dual boot with Ubuntu. I rarely use it as I have my Mac book Pro. But I used Ubuntu when I was in high school for web design. I was going to be a graphic design major (I use the CS suite on OSX) but I am changing to a communications and information technology major.

I am by no means familiar with the programs you mentioned above though
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
Frid

I recently found out that what I want to progress in is in a different major. Media Arts: Animation. I plan on doing work in graphic design too and possibly double major. That being said I'm looking into a very pricey MacBook atm and using boot camp to run Linux on it. I want Red hat but probably going to et familiar with Mint since it can run pretty much all software that Ubuntu can run.
Frid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:39 AM   #6
Rabid Rabbit
Account Suspended

Drives: BMW X5M
Best Graphic design software for graphic designers (Review)
Photoshop – Best graphic design software for beginners. The road which led to photo editing was never so interesting.
GIMP.
Planner5D – this is best design software for designers with a library of ready-made designs.
Inkscape.
CorelDraw.
Adobe Indesign.

Last edited by Rabid Rabbit; 04-30-2021 at 02:49 AM.
Rabid Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 06:07 AM   #7
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
^reported. This thread riddled with spam bots.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote